Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying at auction

• 23-09-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a car at auction and was wondering what peoples opinions are of them. Are there things i should be looking out for?. Should i bring a mechanic with me?. I've been looking a the online auction in merlin for the last few weeks and there seems to be real savings in them.

Comments

You could buy a car needing quite a few quid thrown at it that appears to be ok. I'd advise you to have any cars you are interested in checked out as much as possible in advance of the auction by someone who know their beans and to decide on a max price for each car before going.

I used to go to lots of auctions years, ago, rare to see huge value there. The trade lads snap up the ones that are value, once they stop bidding on yokes more often than not folks with no clue keep bidding the price up, some yokes go for looney money.

I'd advise you to buy privately, more chance of getting value and less chance of getting stung if you have your wits about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm thinking of buying a car at auction and was wondering what peoples opinions are of them. Are there things i should be looking out for?. Should i bring a mechanic with me?. I've been looking a the online auction in merlin for the last few weeks and there seems to be real savings in them.

If you're not experienced with cars, defo bring some one who's been to an auction before and knows cars.

Normally there's a reason why a car is at auction, sometimes you can be lucky. But it's all about luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

be very clear on the percentage you will pay if you do make a purchase. go with a cast iron limit on what you are willing to spend. dont be put off by dirt/ scrapes/ dents if the important bits seem sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

dan hibiki wrote: »
    be very clear on the percentage you will pay if you do make a purchase. go with a cast iron limit on what you are willing to spend. dont be put off by dirt/ scrapes/ dents if the important bits seem sound.

but the less important things are the clues to its previous life, and in a sense... the prospect of whats going to go wrong ( you know, ex taxi/rental etc )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Pdfile wrote: »
    but the less important things are the clues to its previous life, and in a sense... the prospect of whats going to go wrong ( you know, ex taxi/rental etc )

The rental maybe not, but they have to tell you it's an ex taxi! (Any I've seen have said this. Either way it shoud be fairly obvious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement