Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Name On A Licence

Options
  • 24-09-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi lads, im planning on tryna get my name on to my fathers .22 and was wondering do i still have to go through the same procedures and produce all the same paperwork as if i was getting a new 1?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

BigBoi83 wrote: »
    Hi lads, im planning on tryna get my name on to my fathers .22 and was wondering do i still have to go through the same procedures and produce all the same paperwork as if i was getting a new 1?

Cheers

Only concrete way of knowing is go in with your Da to talk with the FO/Garda who processes applications.

Could be a simple pencil whip, could make you jump through hoops.

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭BigBoi83

27....Im hoping 2get my own after xmas neway but my dad has his 20odd years n id like to keep onto it when hes finished with it... At 27 would i still need to do a safety coarse etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

27....Im hoping 2get my own after xmas neway but my dad has his 20odd years n id like to keep onto it when hes finished with it... At 27 would i still need to do a safety coarse etc?

Yes most likely. depends on your super though.

garv123 wrote: »
    Yes most likely.

Crap, another expense hahaha

agh well all in the name of sport i spose ;)

Crap, another expense hahaha

agh well all in the name of sport i spose ;)

It really does depend on your Sup, if he knows it is on yer Dads Rifle, and you have had a rifle in your house since you were a child he/she may take that into consideration

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes you can get the license, but Yes you have to go through the same application process as if it were you're own firearm.

Get an FCA1.
    Fill it in as a full, new application.
    Include all relevant photos, referees, extra info on seperate sheet of paper, etc.

Only difference is in section 4.1 you simply add in your Father's firearm cert number. You have have to do a competency course if you have not held a firearm cert for this type of firearm previously.

If successful you will pay the €80 and get your license, then after christmas when you want your own you simply do a free substitution and you now have your own firearm under your own license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Would i need to pay the 80yoyos still?

Isnt it amazing how so much stuff is all depended on whether the local cops are nice or "awkward" for the want of a nice word lol

Thanks lads,

i think its time to go visit the big boss man hahaha

Who qualify as referees? I know 1r2 gaurds and an officer in the army..

Would the boss or supervisors at work be negood?

Anyone that can personally vouch for your character, but not a member of An Gardai.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

One inside family, one outside is what most put down.
    Yer Dad could be one and a person of good character the other.

I went referee for several Farmers when the laws changed and filled out teh forms for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

my rfd put his name on it and he told me to put my mothers name down since the guns will be stored in her house.

Im kinda surprised family are allowed and gaurds are not (can understand why not) to be honest, thats good to know tho....

Im kinda surprised family are allowed and gaurds are not (can understand why not) to be honest, thats good to know tho....

Gardaí are supposed to be Impartial!

I have not heard of one referee called to date FTR.

A safety course is no harm, if nothing if only to brush up on the basics. even if not asked for no harm to do.

Its to prevent professional misconduct/abuse of the system. I mean if Garda A, and Garda B, signed your applicaion and your FO knew these lads then there is the chance that he would sign off on it as he is friendly with them without ever knowing you.

Remember that the FO has a bit to fill in him/herself whereby s/he must declare whether you are know to them;
    Personally
    Through aquaitance
    Not at all (ID must then be produced)
    I have not heard of one referee called to date FTR.

There has been dozens of cases of referees being called posted about on here. Look back through some of the earlier posts when the system was introduced.

Also plan on them being called. If you get someone that doesn't really know you to sign it and they are called where does that leave you.

The FCA1 is an official Garda document and its an offence to provide false or misleading information on it. Make sure everything on it can be 100% verified irrespective of whether An Gardai will "actually" follow up on it or not.

And thus yer Dad and yer Boss and you should be cushty ;)

Or yer Dad and your next door neighbour or similar.

The fact your dad will also be on the Licence should be half the battle.

Totally, i wouldnt really chance any sneaky strokes with something like this...
    i have the kind of luck where i always get caught if i do somethin stupid let alone serious....

Advertisement