Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question to biochemists/microbiologists

Options
  • 24-09-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi, just starting out a degree in biotech, and I'd like to get some feedback from biochemists and microbiologists re animal testing during your work/college career.
    Were you ever involved, directly or indirectly, with animal testing? By that I mean any form of animal, from fruitflies to primates.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 mhorda

Hi, just starting out a degree in biotech, and I'd like to get some feedback from biochemists and microbiologists re animal testing during your work/college career.
    Were you ever involved, directly or indirectly, with animal testing? By that I mean any form of animal, from fruitflies to primates.

Thanks a million!

I have just finished a masters in biotech. You need a licence to use animals in experiments.

I only dealt with cells throughout my masters, but Phd's and post docs in my lab have used animal models, namely rats and mice, I think NUIG uses other animals models as well, but dont quote me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

A friend of mine in 4th yr Zoology in NUIG is currently doing a population study on mice in a woodland.

The mice once counted and sexed are then collected and used by one of the universities in Dublin for research purposes (cannot remember which one).....

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I did my undergrad in microbiology, dissected a fish and a mouse in my time and I've just started a masters in biotech. A friend though did physiology and killed a fair few mice during her fourth year project (accidentally). R and D would be the only area i could imagine doing animal testing and you'd really have to work to get yourself in there so unless you're specifically aiming for it I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

I did a postdoc in an Irish uni, and within the group i was working in, some colleagues were working with mice, rabbits, rats and when i left (~2 years ago), they had plans to use goats and further down the line, primates.

I did micro. Only dissected worms, rats and mice. Performed experiments on mice. I was told I had a great knack for opening the skulls of mice :D I've never had an issue with working with animals. Are you worried OP about doing this? Undergrads are usually allowed to not partake in such things with animals, but you will lose marks over it as you won't be completing all your work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

thanks folks for your replies.
    Biotech is quite a big field these days but I think I most certainly would like to do biochemistry. Anyway, I can always branch out later on

Starla, were you cracking mice skulls before or after 2002?

It was after 2002, and then were euthanised by someone with a license first.

Advertisement