Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mutton Island for Sale

• 24-09-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Asking price - €500,000!

What do people think should be done, maybe form a trust & fund raise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I also put this in the 'Nature & Birdwatching' thread as I thought there may be some people who would read that, probably wouldn't be reading this thread - but the Moderator closed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mutton Island has been on the market for almost five years now. When it wasn't purchased during the boom it is not going to happen now.

Edit: Link added

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=14160

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Is it in NAMA? Maybe we should put another much-needed interpretative centre on it as they did at the Cliffs of Moher....interpret the birds, sea, clouds, air, fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

What would one do with it?

No pier so completely cut off for long periods, not even a beach to land a small boat onto safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

No pier so completely cut off for long periods, not even a beach to land a small boat onto safely.

If you have the money to buy it, then you can afford to build a dock sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, it does mention helicopter in the ad!;)
    You'd need one besides the boat and the car parked up on the mainland.
    I wonder how easy planning will be to obtain out there?
    This won't be a cheap lifestyle methinks.
    Unless one where to live in a tent with no heat, electricity and no way to get off the island.
    Maybe Bear Grylls will be interested?

Would you need planning permission on yer own private island?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You would.

Estate Agent Philip O'Reilly in Ennis, Co Clare, is selling Mutton Island, which has been owned by an investment company for the last seven or eight years and was owned by an American before that.

It has been for sale for three or four years. He has had lot of interest from America and says a lot of Irish people would love to own it, as it's seen as a trophy property in a beautiful part of west Clare.

"Most of the market is overseas. All of the interest would have an Irish connection, either first or second-generation," he says.

"Mutton is close to Lahinch and Doonbeg and would be well known to American tourists. We have a top banker in an Asian bank showing interest at the moment; he is first-generation Irish. An American also has an offer on it."

Philip says that when people are interested in buying an island, they often get put off by planning restrictions. Some of the islands have Special Area of Conservation (SAC) designation which can prevent any development, even building a landing jetty. However, prices have come down a lot and owners are open to offers. he adds.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2011/0630/1224299787662.html

As I understand it, no one could do anything with the island because of planning constraints (SAC/SPA). The important thing with it being publicly owned would be that there would be no more uncertainty about its future every time it comes up for sale again like at the present!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

[QUOTE=The important thing with it being publicly owned would be that there would be no more uncertainty about its future every time it comes up for sale again like at the present![/QUOTE]

It's wearisome to have people not trust private owners to look after their land responsibly. Why don't YOU make an offer for it if you feel it's so important and that no private person can be trusted to look after it responsibly? Then you can gift it to the state. But remember how the state neglected the Bourne Vincent Estate when it was gifted to it by its American owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Any sort of a good pier would surely cost at least €1m - if you can get planning for it.

The pier extension at Doolin is budgeted at €6m - to give an idea of cost, and its bogged down with planning issues.

I can't see somebodys personal vanity project getting planning, there will be a host of objections from lobster fishermen to surfers in Spanish point and other local interests.

Whats the story with public rights of way on the Island? A lot of people land on the island each year and walk to the tower.

MOSSAD wrote: »
    It's wearisome to have people not trust private owners to look after their land responsibly. Why don't YOU make an offer for it if you feel it's so important and that no private person can be trusted to look after it responsibly? Then you can gift it to the state. But remember how the state neglected the Bourne Vincent Estate when it was gifted to it by its American owners.

If I had that sort of money, I would make an offer!

I never said that NO private person could be trusted!

If there was a public trust, there SHOULD be more certainty about looking after it responsibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I thought there was a causeway between the island and Seafield, which only appeared at extreme low tide twice a year, when the farmers would get their livestock across it? Or maybe that was somewhere else...

I thought there was a causeway between the island and Seafield, which only appeared at extreme low tide twice a year, when the farmers would get their livestock across it? Or maybe that was somewhere else...

I wouldn't exactly call it a causeway as such but you're correct, at very low tides, there is a ridge of rocks which connect the mainland to the island. But I wouldn't want to walk it as it's very slippery with seaweed & algae! But I've heard it has been done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Jim Martin wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly call it a causeway as such but you're correct, at very low tides, there is a ridge of rocks which connect the mainland to the island. But I wouldn't want to walk it as it's very slippery with seaweed & algae! But I've heard it has been done!

I knew I'd heard about it before alright. Not exactly a big selling point though!

Pfftt...who needs planning permission when you live on an island? What are the CCC going to do? Airlift bulldozers out to the island to knock yer buildings? ;)

Advertisement