Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galway whats on guide

Options
  • 24-09-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

what is the most comprehesive listing for whats on in galway? i always have a look at the GA and the GInd. they are pretty good for theatre and cinema, and not bad for gigs, but i was wondering if there was anything else out there? im constantly hearing about gigs that were on that were never advertised in either of the free rags and i always wonder how people heard about them. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Have a look at the FB pages of the likes of Monroes, Roisin Dubh etc.....

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Monroes/110061011524

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/roisindubhgalway

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

ive friended heaps of pubs on fb. certainly handy but some places aint on fb.

btw, ive just noticed the 'whats on' sticky at the top of this forum :o

will have a gander through that!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

I keep a fairly comprehensive guide as to whats on with regards to pop and hiphop in Galway on 'Galway Uncovered' Will also be covering the battle of the bands in the townhouse on it! Not very good besides that for keeping up to date with alternative gigs to be honest!

can you link that hip hop guide? had a flic through it. not the best tbh. in fairness any of the online guides are rubbish. a few lines as to what you might expect atmosphere wise but not what is actually going on.

Am still working on it, only re-launched it a month ago, spent more time on mobile design than content:
    This should be a good gig though:
    http://www.galwayuncovered.com/index/?p=377

Will be putting more stuff up on Shack Up soon, seems to be the best hip hop residency around at the moment!

Also if your around tonight the world scratching champion DJ Flip is set to play in the Library out by GMIT, no link to that one he is a mate of mine and invited me out to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Shanley wrote: »

Off topic but your ATM map needs some corrections. The AIB on Eyre Square is wrong and there are two additional ones on the square beside permanent tsb.

Changed, thanks for that!

Shanley wrote: »

Also if your around tonight the world scratching champion DJ Flip is set to play in the Library out by GMIT, no link to that one he is a mate of mine and invited me out to it.

bugger

loved to have seen that :(

thats the kind of thing im talking about. unless you are in the know then alot of these events just pass by

http://www.galwayuncovered.com/index/?p=377

I have very good hopes for this gig to be honest, DJ Flip said the guy scratching is very good

buskers?? do they do stuff like this? upstairs is usually held for private parties.
    willinig to stick me nose in tho! looks good
    ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Comprehensive guide to Galway eh? You would think it was a big city? There's only a handful of decent venues. Ain't hard to find out what's going on? Thursdays Galway Advertiser usually lists gigs as you say.

Posters on the venues themselves. Don't forget Kellys can be good upstairs? And yea Facebook pages including Galways "Westend" FB page. (the pretentiousness in that town is laughable, westend, latin quarter?? hilarious stuff)

Gingko wrote: »
    (the pretentiousness in that town is laughable, westend, latin quarter?? hilarious stuff)

ya...its a bit cringey in fairness. this whole 'latin quarter' thing cos of the spanish arch. i remember years ago having a beer with some mates down there when two american tourist approached us. 'Excuse me, do you know where the spanish arch is?' Me, 'Ah, ya....you're standing in it!' Its not exactly the most remarkable of attractions. kind of a 'blink and you'd miss it'

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Galway can be a great town as it's full of creative folk but it is run by complete "Gombeens" who are just in it to make as much money as possible and put nothing back into the city or community. Their devoid of imagination!

Sorry for changing your thread topic! Back to gigs..

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

a new app out for iphone and andriod 'Latin Quater Galway' covers live music, dj's, food & Drink.. seems to be updated since this afternoon and has all gigs listed ;)

So did anyone pop into that Buskers gig? Went myself at about 1:00 and the HipHop was over but some good Dubstep going on!!

didn't make it myself but isn't it a weekly thing? will catch it one of the days if it is

caught chris orr in massimos last night....legend

Advertisement