Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Do you want ones that aren't as good as Eneloops...? They're excellent. £11.50ish for 4 with a charger on Amazon.

Ones as good as them, sure i might as well order the eneloops plenty of good reviews. I'll go check out amazon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

zero19 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good brand of rechargable AA batteries? I've heard Eneloops are great but are there any others anyone can recommend?

Eneloops are good. Duracell STAYCHARGED that are marked "Made in Japan"
    are rebranded Sanyo Eneloop.

Panasonic Infinium are as good as or slightly better than Eneloop.

Panasonic have recently changed the name of their LSD rechargables
    from Infinium to Rechargable EVOLTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Macker1

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Not knowing how old your daughter is or if she has already got a camera but I agree with what PCPhoto and kceire says. The other point you should consider is that SLR cameras are not small units that one can carry around in a handbag or pocket so for general use they are cumbersome. What I am trying to say is that unless your daughter is really into more serious photography than taking photos on nights out with her friends and taking photos for facebook etc then a compact camera would be a better buy for her.
    Most people starting out in photography are shy to carry a larger type of camera around with them.
    I hope whatever you decide on that she gets as much enjoyment out of the hobby as I have.

Daughter is 16 and has decided to take up photography as a hobby. I have explained that getting this type of camera is a step up from the simple point n click digital camera that she already uses for facebook photos. From talking to her she has indicated that scenery, nature and people would be the main areas of focus (pardon the pun) for her. The Nikon D3000 fits within our budget and does get positive reviews. As an added bonus there is an offer of a tutorial class when purchasing the camera which will help get the daughter started on the right foot.

I will be looking to make the purchase early December so is there any particular retailer that I should be visiting to get a good deal.

Thanks for all advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Macker1 wrote: »
    I will be looking to make the purchase early December so is there any particular retailer that I should be visiting to get a good deal.

Thanks for all advice.

i usually find that all the retail shops are in and around the same price, with the exception of Argos, they always seem to be a few euro cheaper.

Vist the big shops, and see what they offer, some might throw in a bag or some might throw in a memory card or similar.

The big price difference is when you decide to shop online with the likes of Digital Rev, Amazon, Pixmani and Simply electronics etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

As kceire says and I will add, Bermingham's and Conn's camera shops offer aftersales cleaning of the camera sensor. They will do a dry sensor clean for the life of the camera free and offer 1 wet sensor clean. Normally a wet sensor clean would cost anything from 40 euro to probably 80 euro depending on who does it. Sensor dust is the bane of an SLR users life :mad:
    www.berminghamcameras.ie www.connscameras.ie
    I am a Nikon user and have always had good service from my cameras. Canon and the other popular brands ( Sony, Pentax etc.) are all excellent quality. But you will find that Canon and Nikon are the most popular when you go to look for second hand lens and accessories. Best of luck in your purchase and don't forget that you will always receive help on this forum if you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Hi all,
    Sorry if my specific questions have been done to death, but I've had a reasonable look through the stickies and didn't find the specific answer. Have decided after seeing the shocking pixifoto prices for baby shots that we're gonna put the money into a DSLR instead and learn how to take decent shots at home! I'm looking for a good beginner model and yes I'm prepared to spend some time learning all about how they work. Might also use it the odd time to try sports shot for badminton/cycling if no major expense on new lens for that!

1) Am I right in saying that the D1000/D1100 (Canon) and 3000/3100 (Nikon) are the previous/current popular entry models from each of these manufacturers?
    2) If I buy in Ireland am I right in saying Argos sound from these threads like the cheapest place? Or by any chsance is the airport better value (flying inside EU next month)?
    3) Are there newer models out in either of those lines soon that will lead to a price drop or introduce important new technology?
    4) Do you tend to get very good deals after Christmas everywhere?
    5) Other than simplyelectronics (which I see mixed reviews of) where's the accepted cheapest / most reliable online place to buy?

Any advice much appreciated thanks! :) Would ideally like to be spending the right side of € 400/500 max in total on whatever I buy.

www.adverts.ie is a great place to buy secondhand cameras and lens.
    With buying new it pays to look around all the shops, sometimes there are various promotions with great price cuts and sometimes free accessories.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

And so begins another xmas season. :(

Did you notice this thread at the top of the main forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056399555&page=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Saoirse333

5uspect wrote: »
    And so begins another xmas season. :(

Did you notice this thread at the top of the main forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056399555&page=19

Yes, but there's an awful lot of jargon there that I don't understand:(

I'm just looking for a nice, simple camera capable of taking good photos!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I like the little Sony out of that lot, sweep panorama looks great. Much of a much on the other features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Saoirse333

Borderfox wrote: »
    I like the little Sony out of that lot, sweep panorama looks great. Much of a much on the other features

Oh thank you!!:) It's just great to get advice from someone who knows what they're talking about! So, would you consider it to be a good camera and the best out of those 3?:)

They are all fairly equal, my brother has the Sony and the pictures are quite good out of it for a point and shoot.

Dont forget to factor in the cost of an SD memory card too, shouldnt cost too much though

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Can anyone comment on this as a beginners camera?

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=5596007&authToken=

Seems good value at the price.

Thats a very good buy in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rain_Dog_Brian

Hi Guys,
    I've had a Canon 450D for the last few years and feel like gooing further with my photography. Recently joined a fairly serious camera club. I have the CANON IS18-55 kit lens and a SIGMA DG 70-300 f1:4-5.6.

I want to upgrade my kit, not just because it's the smallest in the club...).

I've used a better quality Nikon and prefer the chunky shutter sound (not the important thing I know, but funny how things stick out) and it seemed to do a better Auto photo (nicer colour). But never used a good quality Canon so maybe the comparison isnt fair.

Is the 450D / Rebel (plus my two lenses) worth holding onto (as backup/support), or should I investigate the Nikon options?

I'm thinking about the Canon 7D or the Nikon D7000, which seem equivalent (but won't have much money for lenses).

Should I just hold onto the 450D and invest in good (canon) lenses.
    I only really wanted to spend max 1k but the two cameras are out of that range a bit..

Can seriously good lenses work well on a 450D?

Grateful for any thoughful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hi Guys,
    I've had a Canon 450D for the last few years and feel like gooing further with my photography. Recently joined a fairly serious camera club. I have the CANON IS18-55 kit lens and a SIGMA DG 70-300 f1:4-5.6.

I want to upgrade my kit, not just because it's the smallest in the club...).

I've used a better quality Nikon and prefer the chunky shutter sound (not the important thing I know, but funny how things stick out) and it seemed to do a better Auto photo (nicer colour). But never used a good quality Canon so maybe the comparison isnt fair.

Is the 450D / Rebel (plus my two lenses) worth holding onto (as backup/support), or should I investigate the Nikon options?

I'm thinking about the Canon 7D or the Nikon D7000, which seem equivalent (but won't have much money for lenses).

Should I just hold onto the 450D and invest in good (canon) lenses.
    I only really wanted to spend max 1k but the two cameras are out of that range a bit..

Can seriously good lenses work well on a 450D?

Grateful for any thoughful advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5IMmEDWH4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janja93

Would you go for a Canon EOS 1100D 12MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Or a Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens

It would be my first camera and the nikon 50 euro cheaper. Not looking to spend anything over 500 on it.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭7.62 rule

I've used bought Nikon and Pentax down through the years, I'd suggest Pentax, most of their gear is rain resistant these days, cameras and lens, not so with Cannon and Nikon or others, plus you can buy older Pentax lens, (30 years old!)
    handy enough and they will meter, do shake reduction, as its built into the camera with Pentax, a big saving, and also focus assist. Also Pentax gear is smaller, takes up less space and weighs less.

thats my two cents worth:)

7.62 rule wrote: »
    I've used bought Nikon and Pentax down through the years, I'd suggest Pentax, most of their gear is rain resistant these days, cameras and lens, not so with Cannon and Nikon or others, plus you can buy older Pentax lens, (30 years old!)
    handy enough and they will meter, do shake reduction, as its built into the camera with Pentax, a big saving, and also focus assist. Also Pentax gear is smaller, takes up less space and weighs less.

thats my two cents worth:)

Isn't it only the higher end gear (K-5 etc.) that's weather sealed? I don't think the K-R is, and the K-X definitely wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My wife has a D3100.

I would like to get a lens for close up pictures. Knowing nothing about these sort of things I was wondering could any one recommend one and where to get it?

Would this be any use?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-50mm-F1-8D-Nikkor-Lens/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320674126&sr=1-5

You would need a macro lens for close up shooting, the one listed is a 50mm f1.8 and the mimimum shooting distance is around 1 metre

godtabh wrote: »
    My wife has a D3100.

I would like to get a lens for close up pictures. Knowing nothing about these sort of things I was wondering could any one recommend one and where to get it?

Would this be any use?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-50mm-F1-8D-Nikkor-Lens/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320674126&sr=1-5

That one won't auto-focus on the D3100 either, you need an AF-S lens for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The lens I linked to what would that be good for?

My budget is relatively small so might not be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

godtabh wrote: »
    The lens I linked to what would that be good for?

My budget is relatively small so might not be an option

It wouldnt be good for much on a D3100. You really do need a lens with autofocus built in. The Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8G would be a fantastic lens to get. Its £160 on Amazon at the moment and is a FANTASTIC lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nedd

Hogzy wrote: »
    It wouldnt be good for much on a D3100. You really do need a lens with autofocus built in. The Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8G would be a fantastic lens to get. Its £160 on Amazon at the moment and is a FANTASTIC lens.

I'm a total noob. What is this lens used for?

nedd wrote: »
    I'm a total noob. What is this lens used for?

It has a wide maximum aperture so can have a shallow depth of field, and that will throw the background nicely out of focus.
    Very rewarding, you can take pics of almost anything and they'll look great. :D

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=42

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Isn't it only the higher end gear (K-5 etc.) that's weather sealed? I don't think the K-R is, and the K-X definitely wasn't.

I have a K-7 and it's weather sealed.
    The problem though is only a select few lenses are. I have Sigma and Tamron lenses and they're not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Hi

Seen this been advertised on the bargain alerts thread, http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=5596007&authToken=
    has anyone used it before or hear anything about it?

I'm looking for a nice middle of the road camera with some nice features without been too expensive or complicated to use
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement