Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

TRISHKA wrote: »
    Hi

Seen this been advertised on the bargain alerts thread, http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=5596007&authToken=
    has anyone used it before or hear anything about it?

I'm looking for a nice middle of the road camera with some nice features without been too expensive or complicated to use
    Thanks

Somebody else posted that exact camera yesterday looking for advice, and one of the more experienced guys said :
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Thats a very good buy in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

My Sisiter is considering buying a Nikon D3000 for her 16yo daughter. This would be her first step into the DSLR camera.

Anyone here that has one what do you think of it? Would be interested in hearing the negatives as much as the positive.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

phog wrote: »
    My Sisiter is considering buying a Nikon D3000 for her 16yo daughter. This would be her first step into the DSLR camera.

Anyone here that has one what do you think of it? Would be interested in hearing the negatives as much as the positive.

Thanks in advance

The D3000 is a good DSLR, but it is a bit dated compared to current
    models. The lack of video and live view might be an issue for a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

hbr wrote: »
    The D3000 is a good DSLR, but it is a bit dated compared to current
    models. The lack of video and live view might be an issue for a teenager.

Thanks, video is not a huge concern.

Live View? Is that looking at the photo on the screen that you're about to take rather than through the viewer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

phog wrote: »
    Live View? Is that looking at the photo on the screen that you're about to take rather than through the viewer?

Yes. Most teenagers would take live view for granted because they are
    accustomed to using mobile phone and compact cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Savage Cabbage

Hi All,

I have decided that the cannon 550d is the camera for me and I am hoping to find the cheapest option.

I found this website http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=9872&sd=cont but after emailing them I think they are based in Hong Kong so the import duties would whack up the cost.

Can anyone else recommend any websites/shops that have offer maybe on 550D?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hi All,

I have decided that the cannon 550d is the camera for me and I am hoping to find the cheapest option.

I found this website http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=9872&sd=cont but after emailing them I think they are based in Hong Kong so the import duties would whack up the cost.

Cheers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056242563

and my own experience -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056410813

Hi All,

Cheers

I have bought 3 items from them.
    No import duty as they are shipped from the UK.

site says 5-7 day delivery, but allow 2 weeks incase of high volume of orders. the 550D is a cracking price there including the kit lens, its 799 in Dublin City Shops at present.

You can also get a couple of cash back through Fatcheese. if you have no fatcheese account, PM me and i'll ill you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

kceire wrote: »
    Somebody else posted that exact camera yesterday looking for advice, and one of the more experienced guys said :

The one problem with it is that it doens't have any viewfinder!
    Which would put me right off it. it's just not the same if you have to watch the lcd screen instead and worse for camera shake.

They have other bridge cameras with viewfinders for similar prices- like this Fujifilm FinePix S3300

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Savage Cabbage

I have bought 3 items from them.
    No import duty as they are shipped from the UK.

site says 5-7 day delivery, but allow 2 weeks incase of high volume of orders. the 550D is a cracking price there including the kit lens, its 799 in Dublin City Shops at present.

You can also get a couple of cash back through Fatcheese. if you have no fatcheese account, PM me and i'll ill you in.

Great thanks for the advice. If I don't get hit with import duty then it is way cheaper than anywhere else Ive seen.

Thanks for the heads up!!

• Advertisement

Great thanks for the advice. If I don't get hit with import duty then it is way cheaper than anywhere else Ive seen.

I don't think you will, they ship to Europe first and then re-ship to the final destination to avoid the customer getting hit with the charges.

Quick one; With a 17-70 lens how important is image stabilisation? Realistically in normal use (not video) how many stops difference will the stabilised lens have over the non-stabilised?

No probs, but just to make you aware that Argis reduced the 550D with kit 18-55 lens to €729 this week.

Also, can anybody please answer this for me.............................

I never heard of Simply Electronics until a month or so ago when i was looking for my DSLR camera, but now, every site i visit has a link to them, boards, adverts to name but a few!

i never even seen these links on here before last month???
    was i blind?

No probs, but just to make you aware that Argis reduced the 550D with kit 18-55 lens to €729 this week.

Also, can anybody please answer this for me.............................

I never heard of Simply Electronics until a month or so ago when i was looking for my DSLR camera, but now, every site i visit has a link to them, boards, adverts to name but a few!

i never even seen these links on here before last month???
    was i blind?

Yep. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

rocky wrote: »
    Anyone order from bignorman.com? they were 50£ cheaper than amazon, but are based in Gibraltar. They say vat and taxes are paid by them, so the price on the website is the final delivered price.

Received the camera today, looks in good order, 634 euro all in. Not a bad price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Hi.

Hope I'm in the right area here.

Looking to get a point and shoot for my Mum. Looking for something that's easy to use and takes good quality pictures.
    Ease of use is important here.

Thinking of either the Canon Powershot A3300 IS or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3.

Has anyone used both or can recommend both? Or another!

They'll be just for taking holiday snaps and then putting on iPad.

Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

I'd go with the Canon if I was you. At the low end of the market the Canon P&S cameras are hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

I'm looking for sensor cleaning kit for my full frame.
    Can I get it somewhere in Dublin in person or amazon is better solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

hey guys lookin to get a new camera after Christmas for vloging. was originally just gonna get a small HDD cam but since i have a pretty decent video camera already (sony pd150) i decided to look for a DSLR so i can try my hand at taking a few snaps too.

so i'm looking for decent DSLR but most importantly needs good quality video and audio (but not nessesarilly HD). also a mic input and hot shoe would be nice but not a must...

look forward to your replies
    thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Looking for some advice on a starter camera for myself, I've been using a compact for a couple of years and its been great but would like to get a better camera, I don't mind what age the camera is once its good and will take decent pics. My budget is about 200 euros, anyone got some recommendations ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

hi can anyone tell me which would be a good compact digital camera that best allows me to manually control shutter speed? A friend of mine wants a small camera that will take good quality images at long duration shutter speeds, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭username2010

Advice wanted!!

I'm looking for a good SLR camera for a beginner - something that's easy to use, good value, and easy for a beginner to get used to.

Also, do people reckon that it's worth buying a second hand camera, or am I better going with a new one?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Advice wanted!!

I'm looking for a good SLR camera for a beginner - something that's easy to use, good value, and easy for a beginner to get used to.

Also, do people reckon that it's worth buying a second hand camera, or am I better going with a new one?

Thanks in advance!
    JJJJNR wrote: »
    starter slr - second hand?

Looking for some advice on a starter camera for myself, I've been using a compact for a couple of years and its been great but would like to get a better camera, I don't mind what age the camera is once its good and will take decent pics. My budget is about 200 euros, anyone got some recommendations ?

If you are buying an SLR these days then used is really the only viable route. You can pick up some very nice gear for not a lot of money. Most of the companies have now switched over to having their range as DSLR's so the choice new is limited.

Starting out with Film is quite a good way of going and if I understand your post you are wanting to get as simple a machine as possible so you can learn as a beginner and progress that way. It is "Old School" and not common but I think you will end up with a superior grounding in the fundamentals of exposure control moving that way rather than jumping in at Auto on a DSLR and then trying to work backwards.

My start was with old Nikon Bodies (they were new then) and there are still many around. A lot of them were almost bullet proof and are still solid machines these days. Other SLR's from the time can also be very solid. Look to the future though & select a system where your SLR glass can still work with a new DSLR Body. I think that Nikon have the widest compatibility over history with their F Mount so it's worth looking in that direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

sebphoto wrote: »
    I'm looking for sensor cleaning kit for my full frame.
    Can I get it somewhere in Dublin in person or amazon is better solution?

I got a fine kit from DML a couple of years back. It was a Delkin Sensor Cleaning Kit. They had it as a Show Special and it works really well. Included the Sensor Scope & Sensor Vacuum along with the Pads & Fluids. All up it was €70 then, but that was a steal.

Monkaa wrote: »
    hi can anyone tell me which would be a good compact digital camera that best allows me to manually control shutter speed? A friend of mine wants a small camera that will take good quality images at long duration shutter speeds, thanks!

Most of the higher end compacts will allow some manual control. You need to look at the other functions required and then look at specs for various models. The Shutter Speed Priority Mode will often be marked as "S" or "Tv" on different brands. There should be a range of times going from about 4000 (1/4000th of a second) up to full seconds, maybe 15 or 30 Seconds. Then there may also be a "B" setting, which stands for "Bulb" and will keep the shutter open as long as the button is pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Cheers. Is it easy to use for someone who would be a beginner with digital cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johal

hi all
    i am getting my first dslr and cant decide which one. i have narrowed it down to nikon d40,or nikon d60, or should i go for a canon for same money but better choice of lens . does it realy matter.
    john

johal wrote: »
    hi all
    i am getting my first dslr and cant decide which one. i have narrowed it down to nikon d40,or nikon d60, or should i go for a canon for same money but better choice of lens . does it realy matter.
    john

That choice will hurt sooner or later :)
    First of all what kind of photos you are going to create?
    How much funds you have for lenses, filters, memory cards, other accessories (e.g. tripod, flashgun, good bag or backpack, etc etc.)?
    Imho it doesn't matter what body you'll pick as long as you know how to use it and what would be your subject on most of your photos.
    I'd rather go for few fast primes rather than nicer body. :)
    If that would be your first dslr then if i were you i'd borrow from someone any dsrl to see how comfortable it is in my hands. You might be really happy or deeply disappointed due to bad results. After all, this quote is perfect for this occasion 'The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.'
    Your camera doesn't matter

Cheers :)

CabanSail wrote: »
    I got a fine kit from DML a couple of years back. It was a Delkin Sensor Cleaning Kit. They had it as a Show Special and it works really well. Included the Sensor Scope & Sensor Vacuum along with the Pads & Fluids. All up it was €70 then, but that was a steal.

That cost the earth!
    Today I figured that it's not my sensor, but in fact it's dust behind plate with AF
    points. Thank google I found this one. Now I have to buy some tools and prepare for such surgery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Hi all, I was going to buy the Sigma 70-300 APO but I've come across negative comments about the 200-300mm range of the lens. The image quality would suffer. Would it be better to buy the Canon 55-250 IS for the same price?

I guess there are pros and cons to both lenses, but I was hoping to get some of your thoughts in to make my decision.

I am shooting with a Canon 450D

Thanks
    Ronald

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement