Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm not an expert by any means but I own the sigma lens. I find the image quality disappointing when its zoomed in all the way. Used it on safari and a lot of blurry pics when i got home:(

dont know anything about the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johal

hi
    i am more interested in landscape and wildlife + holidays and regular family stuff. price wise 300ish for camera and lens, other stuff later as i develop
    john

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Poncke wrote: »
    Hi all, I was going to buy the Sigma 70-300 APO but I've come across negative comments about the 200-300mm range of the lens. The image quality would suffer. Would it be better to buy the Canon 55-250 IS for the same price?

I guess there are pros and cons to both lenses, but I was hoping to get some of your thoughts in to make my decision.

I am shooting with a Canon 450D

Thanks
    Ronald

I was considering one of these lens also, and was advised that i would be lost without IS on the Sigma, unless your working it off a tri pod, its not a walk around lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

johal wrote: »
    hi
    i am more interested in landscape and wildlife + holidays and regular family stuff. price wise 300ish for camera and lens, other stuff later as i develop
    john

I think you'll get Nikon d60 + kit lens for such money, but i don't know local market as i'm new here :)
    Also I'm not familiar with Nikon gear, although I used few non digital FM2 and F2 years ago and I always thought that Nikon lenses are more expensive than Canon. Therefore I'd say you could take into consideration Canon 20d or 30d (or even 10d) plus Sigma 15-30 3,5-4,5 or at least 50 1.8. Whatever you pick will not matter at least at the begining. Later though, once you end up with one body and few lenses, it'll be hard to switch to something else. All you need is time + practice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

gaza4 wrote: »
    hey guys lookin to get a new camera after Christmas for vloging. was originally just gonna get a small HDD cam but since i have a pretty decent video camera already (sony pd150) i decided to look for a DSLR so i can try my hand at taking a few snaps too.

so i'm looking for decent DSLR but most importantly needs good quality video and audio (but not nessesarilly HD). also a mic input and hot shoe would be nice but not a must...

look forward to your replies
    thanks!!!

anyone got any recommendations?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

hey guys lookin to get a new camera after Christmas for vloging. was originally just gonna get a small HDD cam but since i have a pretty decent video camera already (sony pd150) i decided to look for a DSLR so i can try my hand at taking a few snaps too.

so i'm looking for decent DSLR but most importantly needs good quality video and audio (but not nessesarilly HD). also a mic input and hot shoe would be nice but not a must...

look forward to your replies
    thanks!!!

Budget?

Canon 600D seems to be very popular with the video types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

As said Canon seems to be better for video, if you want good audio you may need to get a seperate mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have a Canon SLR and I need to get a new cable from the plug to the charge box.

anyone recommend a place to buy this without buying the cradle for the battery.

Dublin to Maynooth/Naas or surrounding areas would suit best

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Canon 600D + seperate mic. Thats the only way to get good audio out of a DSLR. I see a lot of talk about Zoom HD - seems to be the most popular choice among DSLR film makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Does anyone have an opinion on (or experience with!) the Pentax K-R? I see an offer on it on the Currys/PC World website. From reading up on it online it sounds like it might be better than the Nikon D3100 or Canon 1100D despite being similar enough priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

g0g wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on (or experience with!) the Pentax K-R? I see an offer on it on the Currys/PC World website. From reading up on it online it sounds like it might be better than the Nikon D3100 or Canon 1100D despite being similar enough priced.

Quite a few pentax owners about the place - see some experiences of pentax on this thread. Typically, all major brands are equally as good as others in terms of quality of resulting image - features then may come into it if important to you such as in body image stablisation, hard controls as opposed to soft controls, etc... All fine cameras.

A pentax issue for some people is lack of local support for the units. This is about the biggest gripe I hear from people about them. That you can't walk into just any high street shop and pick up a flash or lens. At times Curry's / Argos etc.., will stock cameras and accessories but its hit and miss. It's never caused me so much as a glance in the other direction though as internationally you can get anything that you want for them and their older primes are fantastic and cheap as anything on eBay, etc...

All in all, the experiences I've heard in relation to Pentax back up my own experience that they are very, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Can_Solo

I use a Panasonic Gh13 (hacked Gh 1) many consider the GH1 and especially the GH2 to be superior to the full frame canons!!! Do some research on these babies I promise you won't be dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Poncke wrote: »
    Hi all, I was going to buy the Sigma 70-300 APO but I've come across negative comments about the 200-300mm range of the lens. The image quality would suffer. Would it be better to buy the Canon 55-250 IS for the same price?

I guess there are pros and cons to both lenses, but I was hoping to get some of your thoughts in to make my decision.

I am shooting with a Canon 450D

Thanks
    Ronald

I have the Canon 55-250 and think it is a suprerb lens. Its very sharp and I never leave home without it. I have mine about 2 years and it has never let me down. I use it with a Canon Eos 400d and with a 40d. Its very light and compact which is good if your out walking and along with my 17-70 its it covers plenty. I have never used the sigma 70-300 so dont know what it is like but I have heard and read mixed reviews whereas with the canon 55-250 I have read its one of the best consumer lens

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johal

a nikon d3000 at 399 or canon 1100d at 466 in ireland . are they better value then nikon d40/60 , canon 20d/30d at 300 second hand.
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

Budget?

Canon 600D seems to be very popular with the video types.

probly bout 500 so i think the canon might be slightly outta budget...
    alfalad wrote: »
    As said Canon seems to be better for video, if you want good audio you may need to get a seperate mic.
    kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    Canon 600D + seperate mic. Thats the only way to get good audio out of a DSLR. I see a lot of talk about Zoom HD - seems to be the most popular choice among DSLR film makers.

have a nice sennheiser mic anyway so thats covered...
    Can_Solo wrote: »
    I use a Panasonic Gh13 (hacked Gh 1) many consider the GH1 and especially the GH2 to be superior to the full frame canons!!! Do some research on these babies I promise you won't be dissapointed.

thanks i'll have a look into them!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Hi Folks,

I am setting up a company that is essentially pushing me on anyone that'll listen. I will be pushing my info on dogs to the public a number of ways, one way of the utmost importance is via regular video blog.

Setting up my little room as we speak. Have everything but the camera and tripod. Does anyone have suggestions? I will also need the camera to take good snaps of items for said website.

Price is everything at the moment, don't mind second hand options, but is this a bit doggy? Off to Florida in a week so could pick one up there and save a bit.....

So good video, easy to use (have a mac, vids are destined for youtube), good snaps.

I am being told the kodak zi8 is great but to be honest it doesn't really cover the whole "great video" and "great snaps" spec. I'm also being advised a Canon DSLR of some fashion, names are escaping me at the moment.

Cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭nedd

Ok I think its time to invest. Getting the Nikon D5100 (after weeks of online research and handling models)

Looking at prices on pixmania and they are pretty good. Anyone else have any recommendations of websites to use?

nedd wrote: »
    Ok I think its time to invest. Getting the Nikon D5100 (after weeks of online research and handling models)

Looking at prices on pixmania and they are pretty good. Anyone else have any recommendations of websites to use?

Onestop Digital?

EDIT: Price seems to have risen everywhere in the last week or so...

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod2211.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭nedd

Thanks guys,

has anyone used BigNorman?

• Advertisement

Onestop Digital?

EDIT: Price seems to have risen everywhere in the last week or so...

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod2211.html

I dont know whether its a Nikon thing or not, but i bought a D5100 for my mate from Simply Electronics on the 14th October for €549, today its €679!

kceire wrote: »
    I dont know whether its a Nikon thing or not, but i bought a D5100 for my mate from Simply Electronics on the 14th October for €549, today its €679!

...and in September they came with a €60 or €85 rebate.

http://www.nikon.co.uk/sites/cashback/offers.aspx?c=roi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Trampas wrote: »
    I have a Canon SLR and I need to get a new cable from the plug to the charge box.

anyone recommend a place to buy this without buying the cradle for the battery.

Dublin to Maynooth/Naas or surrounding areas would suit best

Thanks

2nd hand full cradle & cable going on adverts. http://www.adverts.ie/camera-accessories/origonal-canon-cb-2lve-battery-charger/796952

I've seen those connections previously on cables so might be able to pick it up in an electronics store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

My mother is currently doing a beginners photography course & is considering buying this camera.
    Is this a decent camera or is there better cameras worth considering?

Kit Lens Upgrade Advice

Guys, around xmas time, i hope to get rid of my kit lens (Canon 18-55mm).
    I am happy enough at the wide end of 18mm, but at times im missing the lack of zoom and was seriously considering the 18-135mm lens?

Im hoping for it to be my carry around lens, and for it to compliment my 50mm 1.8.

Anbody any recommendations on other lens i should consider?
    I was originally thinking of the 55-250 lens, but that would mean a carry round of 3 lens.

Camera is Canon 550D
    EF-S lens probably more suited as i cant see myself updating to a full frame camera in the near to distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

DogsFirst wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I am setting up a company that is essentially pushing me on anyone that'll listen. I will be pushing my info on dogs to the public a number of ways, one way of the utmost importance is via regular video blog.

Setting up my little room as we speak. Have everything but the camera and tripod. Does anyone have suggestions? I will also need the camera to take good snaps of items for said website.

Price is everything at the moment, don't mind second hand options, but is this a bit doggy? Off to Florida in a week so could pick one up there and save a bit.....

So good video, easy to use (have a mac, vids are destined for youtube), good snaps.

I am being told the kodak zi8 is great but to be honest it doesn't really cover the whole "great video" and "great snaps" spec. I'm also being advised a Canon DSLR of some fashion, names are escaping me at the moment.

Cheers folks.

Canon 550/600 would see you right if it's in budget.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Canon 550D takes amazing video (High Def) and great snaps. I think if you can afford it , its the one for you (I have one).

If you can then you will have to forgo the DSLR aspect (no huge loss unless you were intending on switching lenses a lot?) and go with something from Samsung I reckon. They have some neat cameras in the compact line of things. Solid video and pics from them in my experience.

www.dpreview.com is your friend too...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinnyod

Hi folks looking to get into photography bit of a newbie and not too sure where to start given myself a budget of 700 euros what would you recommend might even be able to go a little higher with budget

I don't think you can go wrong with the most popular choice; Canon 550D or 600D (with the kit lens), and a 50mm f1.8.

...and a memory cards, and a bag etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

look at the nikon dxxxx ranges, insane value and bang for buck for starters

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement