Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hi there, im looking for some advice on my first camera! Santa has promised a camera if I can decide what I want, so I thought id come here for any advice that can be offered :) so im looking for something that would be a bit more than just a "point and shoot" type camera, something that can take really good pictures, but its just for personal use. For example I love to try and take action shots of my pets when they are in hyper mode, but I find any old cameras shutters are too slow. But also id want something that could be thrown into a handbag if, in the off chance, I decided to take pictures on a night out ie. I wouldnt want something too bulky. And finally! If all that could come in around a 200 euro price range, that would he ideal! Has anyone any recommendations? Thanks in advance :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't rule out the secondhand route; you'd get a decent camera for half your budget, giving yourself headroom for expanding when you figure out which way you want to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

alfalad wrote: »
    Canon 550/600 would see you right if it's in budget.

Cheers Alfalad! Not sure how my thread ended up in this long mess of a thread, but you're my first (and best) answer! Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinnyod

look at the nikon dxxxx ranges, insane value and bang for buck for starters

what about the Nikon Coolpix L120seen a good deal with Argos 145 euros ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

nedd wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

has anyone used BigNorman?

Me, see here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75396889&postcount=309

Found them ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

vinnyod wrote: »

I thought you wanted to stretch your €700? You could get a really good DSLR up and running with that budget.... or was it a typo? €200?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinnyod

I thought you wanted to stretch your €700? You could get a really good DSLR up and running with that budget.... or was it a typo? €200?

wanted to get a new Archos tablet as well if possible .. so keeping options open on cost ,,,
    however Nikon D3100 Digital SLR - 18-55mm VR Lens - Includes SLR Bag, Tripod & 8GB SDHC Card 588.08 is that good value for that package??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

wanted to get a new Archos tablet as well if possible .. so keeping options open on cost ,,,
    however Nikon D3100 Digital SLR - 18-55mm VR Lens - Includes SLR Bag, Tripod & 8GB SDHC Card 588.08 is that good value for that package??

Sure is a good package, i bought the nikonD3100 with the 18-55 af vr only for €559 in argos 3 months ago, was good value at the time, very very happy with it, would recommend it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nedd

rocky wrote: »

Brilliant. It looks like they have the best price.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its not really andything more than a play about camera and would show in images

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Setanta1974

I don't know anything about camera's but would like to get involved in photography. I just saw a deal in Curry's for a Canon EOS 1100D that come with a 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens for 589 Euros.

I have two questions. One is would ye think this is a good deal? and the second is what would a 75-300mm lens be suitable for? Would it be good for taking for taking landscape photos?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Bermingham cameras have this camera and 1 lens for 499 euro
    www.berminghamcameras.ie
    Canon EOS 1100D & 18-55mm EF-S IS **SPECIAL OFFER**
    Our price : €499.00
    So your price would seem good value with the 2nd lens. Landscape photography is usually shot with a lens in the range of 10 to 70mm so the shorter lens will be fine for landscapes. Saying that many people shoot landscapes with a longer lens too. the 300mm lens will be good for wildlife, air shows etc.
    Good luck with whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi there, im looking for some advice on my first camera! Santa has promised a camera if I can decide what I want, so I thought id come here for any advice that can be offered :) so im looking for something that would be a bit more than just a "point and shoot" type camera, something that can take really good pictures, but its just for personal use. For example I love to try and take action shots of my pets when they are in hyper mode, but I find any old cameras shutters are too slow. But also id want something that could be thrown into a handbag if, in the off chance, I decided to take pictures on a night out ie. I wouldnt want something too bulky. And finally! If all that could come in around a 200 euro price range, that would he ideal! Has anyone any recommendations? Thanks in advance :)

Not sure you'll get what you are looking for within your budget. You are describing a dSLR in functionality which won't just pop into your bag or a high level small (in size) something like a Canon G9/10/11/12 which would be beyond your budget. If your overriding issue is the functionality you've described and size then your budget will need to stretch a bit. Unfortunately I think you'll be disappointed with anything else in the P&S sub €200 mark to achieve what you want to achieve. I'd love to be wrong about this :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I'll try annoying you guys for a minute....

I know nothing about Cameras, Bro is looking for a straight forward Cam for occasional snaps of friends, family and visual reminders of visited places, good pic quality.

Small budget...€100ish.

Loads in Amazon, I suppose in this price range they're pretty similar?

Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I don't know anything about camera's but would like to get involved in photography. I just saw a deal in Curry's for a Canon EOS 1100D that come with a 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens for 589 Euros.

I have two questions. One is would ye think this is a good deal? and the second is what would a 75-300mm lens be suitable for? Would it be good for taking for taking landscape photos?

Thanks in advance
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Bermingham cameras have this camera and 1 lens for 499 euro
    www.berminghamcameras.ie
    Canon EOS 1100D & 18-55mm EF-S IS **SPECIAL OFFER**
    Our price : €499.00
    So your price would seem good value with the 2nd lens. Landscape photography is usually shot with a lens in the range of 10 to 70mm so the shorter lens will be fine for landscapes. Saying that many people shoot landscapes with a longer lens too. the 300mm lens will be good for wildlife, air shows etc.
    Good luck with whatever you decide
    I've been researching this plus Nikon D3100 a lot the past couple of weeks. If you know anyone flying anywhere soon get them to pick it up as the same bundle with 2 lenses is € 446 in airport! That's by far the best deal I've seen! I'm just not sure if it's the right camera for me as I really like the look of Pentax K-R! (bundle on this with 2 lens similar is € 529 in Currys)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Setanta1974

pixbyjohn and g0g, thank you both for the quick replies and the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I'm looking for a 4/3rds camera and the Panasonic Lumix GF1 was highly recommended, especially with the 20mm pancake lens.
    It seems impossible to get both together although I have seen the GF1 with the GF2-supplied 14mm lens.

Which is a better option to go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pbuckland05

I need some advice Im looking to get a 70 - 200 lens and wanted to know which one of these two would be better and why

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM (non IS)
    Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

both are around the same price any help would be appreciated

body 5D mk2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Lola_Dee

I am looking to buy a decent tripod as a gift for my boyfriend. He needs a fairly heavy duty, good quality tripod for landscape photography mostly. I suppose light weight would be preferable for transport, but durability is most important. My budget is in and around €100, which I realise isn't much for a good quality tripod, but if anyone can suggest or recommend one roughly around that budget it'd be a great help as I'm soo confused after searching online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

This always comes up this time of year:D

I'd suggest that unless you know exactly what your boyfriend is looking for that you consider a voucher, there are so many different tripods and heads out there that suit different situations that it's impossible for us to give more than general advice, even if your budget was bigger the same would apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Hi,
    I'm looking at getting a Waterproof camera for kayaking and surfing. I've had a look at some GoPro's but I'm not sure which model to get or to get ordinary or HD! Has anyone got a vida camera lately that they would recommend or not recommend, any thought you have or info would be savage.
    Thanks for reading

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Get the HD one you wont regret it. Have a flick through youtube at all the footage from them if you need convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I have the non HD one and, honestly, I regret not stumping up the extra for the HD. Apart from higher video quality, the use of AAA batteries means they last no time (45 minutes, tops) which is tremendously annoying.
    It also doesn't have any of the high speed recording features that really impressed me on the HD one, and it's not as good with very low light situations as the HD model.

I'm told the mic quality is far superior on the HD models too, but I haven't heard a comparison to know.

It's still bloody good, and it gets some use, but I'm thinking I may get the HD in the new year myself.

the 3 hero options im looking at is

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero-960-camera/

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-helmet-hero-camera/

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-outdoor-edition/

hero 2 is twice the price of the 960, it does say you get twice the kit, Im not sure i'd notice the difference for alot of it, what do ye recon? think i might go for the middle1, not sure if i can afford it, but there is no point in getting the cheaper one, finding its ****, wasted money and then want to get the other 1 next year?
    damn

The Hero 960 is a cut down version of the Hero. Only does 2 resolutions 720p 30fps and 960p 30fps. It cant take the Backpac accessories like the extended batter, LCD screen and 3D case.

Hero and Hero2 are similar except:
    Hero2 is 11 meagpixles for photos hero is 5
    Hero2 can do a photo every .5 seconds time lapse Hero can do one every 2sec
    Hero2 has a better light sensitivity and wider aperture for low light shooting
    Hero2 Can shoot 108p at 170 degrees wide angle, Hero can only shoot 1080p at 127 degrees.

Hero and hero2 both can shoot 720p in 60fps which I personally think is the best res and fps for general shooting.

If your not sure you can afford it def go for the Hero. With the Hero2 coming down the line there a few up for sale. I sold mine for 200 on Friday, mate of mine is doing the same ATM.

thanks for the advice, think i will go for the hero. i can get it for 175 new, so i think its probably a good bit of kit for that money. just have to write the letter to santy now :)

rothai wrote: »
    thanks for the advice, think i will go for the hero. i can get it for 175 new, so i think its probably a good bit of kit for that money. just have to write the letter to santy now :)

Thats a bargin, but if your buying from the US watch the import txes and duties, they ship fedex.

What sports do you want it for? the Motor sorts package is a good option then supplement that with some other mounts. Mounts on the US are a lot cheaper then here also. My pick of an optimal setup is the Motor sports kit inc the suction cup , chest harness, tripod adapter. With that you can surface mount, helmet mount and chest mount.

Get comfortable with video editing, time laps assembling. Get the free Cineform software from go pro for basic editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

gaza4 wrote: »
    anyone got any recommendations?!?!

Hi Gaza, Canon 550D should do the trick for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

kceire wrote: »
    I was considering one of these lens also, and was advised that i would be lost without IS on the Sigma, unless your working it off a tri pod, its not a walk around lens.

Yeah, I was stuck on the macro feature of the sigma but after reading loads of reviews and comparisons I decided to go with the canon 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS. Its 30 euros more, 50mm less than the sigma but I have seen the photos taken with both and I will go with the sharpness of the canon. Image stabiliser is also a huge pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I posted this in the main page and it seems to have disappeared!

Anyway my 450d is leaking light into the pictures a piece of plastic fell out of the shutter a week back it was a small flat piece and I passed no remarks to it at the time.

Anyway I need you guys to recommend someone to repair this and roughly what we are talking as a cost to repair? Its well out of warranty....

Thanks in advance.

Brian

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement