Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

Hey,

I know there's probably plenty of threads like this already but I would really love some advice on what camera to buy.

Non-professional just basically for holidays/weddings/matches etc. I know sweet f-all about cameras so any advidce is appreciated.

I kinda have an upper limit of approx €150 give or take a few quid. Now if theres a camera which will do the job for 60-70 then by all means point me in that direction. I don't need a top of the range one at all. I've been having a look around and I don't have a breeze as to which is better, higher optical zoom or more megapixels? Or what all the "camera" language means.

I just want a decent point and shoot camera which doesn't produce photos like they were taken on a phone!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have a look at this, you will need a card to go along with it, a 4 gig card in same shop for 12.99 is good.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5594085/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

looking for this particular camera myself. was delighted when i seen the argos price, but alas none in stock :( you reckon they'l be back in stock soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Macker1

looking for this particular camera myself. was delighted when i seen the argos price, but alas none in stock :( you reckon they'l be back in stock soon?

No Idea....... Shortages due to flooding in Thailand are causing supply issues for Nikon.

I'll be keeping an eye out and will let you know. The backup plan is to go up North to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Macker1 wrote: »
    Having posted in this thread a while back I'm looking to get some help/advice after finally deciding on a DSLR camera for my daughter as her Xmas present. After much deliberation we have decided upon the Nikon D3100 which is above my original budget (€450) but certainly appears to be worth the extra cash.

It can be sourced at various stores

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=4452 €550

http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-d3100/p-018208919529pd.html

€600 this is bundled with a bag and 4GB Memory card

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=nikon+d3100&authToken=

€490 but out of stock at present.

I do have the option of going up north to do some shopping and no doubt can get a good deal on the camera. A quick check has the following option at Jessops

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/ShoppingCart/show.html

works out at €530 this includes 8GB Memory card

Being honest I would like to get this bought asap as I'm getting a headache with all the research online.

Any good options / stores that people can recommend.

PS..... The only issue is that I won't be getting paid till the 16th Dec and ordering online would not really be an option unless I can guarantee delivery before 23rd Dec.

All advice welcome

I bought that camera myself from argos a couple of months ago, paid €559 (which was a good deal at the time) Seems to be out of stock everywhere, in stock here allthough slightly dearer, http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6864196/art/nikon/d3100-af-s-dx-18-55-mm-vr.html
    I bought a nikon 55-300 af vr from them a while back, from the time i ordered it, arrived on the doorstep 18 hours later(from paris)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Im kinda on the fence at the moment whether to sell my 60d to upgrade to a 5d mark 2. I mainly want the full frame sensor and better low light performance of the 5d but also the 60d has the 60FPS in 720.

I dont know if the lack of 60FPS on the 5d is that big of an issue for me. I feel as though im using it as an excuse not to get the 5d. I havent shot any slowmo footage and dont really plan to but you never know when it would be needed.

I was only shooting some footage indoors the other day and the 60d was very hard to work with in terms of lenses. I have a 50mm 1.8 but with the crop is was very hard to frame the shot properly indoors. Ah my head is melted trying to decide

Can you guys share some info regarding my conundrum?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Im far from an expert but my 2c is there will be a Mk III soon I reckon which is worth keeping in mind as it will have an effect on 2nd hand prices and bargins on existing new stock. There are big rebates on Mk II's in the US ATM for example. 60fps makes for some beautiful footage so it is definitely worth considering, pity they dropped it from the Mk II's firmware updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oliverguy

Anyone got any suggestions as to where I could buy a decent instant camera polaroid or other?I have seen them on e bay at a good price but when I research the film it is ridiculously expensive.Therefore not only would I like and instant camera(not much more than 100ish) but I also need reasonably priced and easily found film.Big ask probably!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

oliverguy wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions as to where I could buy a decent instant camera polaroid or other?I have seen them on e bay at a good price but when I research the film it is ridiculously expensive.Therefore not only would I like and instant camera(not much more than 100ish) but I also need reasonably priced and easily found film.Big ask probably!!!

If you want integral film (you hit the button and the film pops out) then forget polaroid. There's a crowd, the Impossible Project, making pola film but it's very expensive and doesn't really work very well. Fuji have a line of cameras and film called Instax you might want to look at. Gunnes in wexford street have them AFAIK if you want to buy retail. There is polaroid branded integral film and cameras being sold a the moment a well, but they're just rebadged fuji instax cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I like the film like look of the 24fps but I would also like the to have the 60fps for the faster paced shots or for slow motion. Decisions decisions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Worth keeping in mind Cinema is heading 48-60fps (The Hobbit is going to be 48fps 3D), 60fps slowed to 25-30fps looks beautiful even for simple stuff. 5D stuff looks stunning either way so its all clear as mud :D

Macker1 wrote: »
    Having posted in this thread a while back I'm looking to get some help/advice after finally deciding on a DSLR camera for my daughter as her Xmas present. After much deliberation we have decided upon the Nikon D3100 which is above my original budget (€450) but certainly appears to be worth the extra cash.

It can be sourced at various stores

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=4452 €550

http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-d3100/p-018208919529pd.html

€600 this is bundled with a bag and 4GB Memory card

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=nikon+d3100&authToken=

€490 but out of stock at present.

I do have the option of going up north to do some shopping and no doubt can get a good deal on the camera. A quick check has the following option at Jessops

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/ShoppingCart/show.html

works out at €530 this includes 8GB Memory card

Being honest I would like to get this bought asap as I'm getting a headache with all the research online.

Any good options / stores that people can recommend.

PS..... The only issue is that I won't be getting paid till the 16th Dec and ordering online would not really be an option unless I can guarantee delivery before 23rd Dec.

All advice welcome
    If you are going up North, give Calumet a shout, very competitive.
    www.calumetphoto.co.uk
    Boucher Plaza Unit 2
    4-6 Boucher Rd
    Belfast, BT12 6HR
    02890 777770

Jackmcg wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a new battery and charger. Very tempted to take the cheap way out and buy a generic charger and universal battery somewhere online, has anyone got experience with these? Is the difference in quality really worth the difference in money for the branded ones? Bearing in mind I'm amateur and won't be using the camera that often.

(Im sure this has been covered somewhere in the last 30 pages, sorry for repeating!)
    Thanks

I use Nikon DSLRs and have used many generic batteries from Ebay without any trouble also have some chargers from Ebay too and touch wood no problems.
    The savings on batteries has been enormous. as much as 50 euro per battery

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

The cheapest I've found the Canon 550D is £460 on bignorman.com, seems to be a fantastic price. I had a look around a few stores today in Blanchardstown to get the camera in my hand and see what it's like, needless to say I love it! I just can't believe the price difference, you're talking an extra 200 euro!!

Macker1, unfortunately the D3100 is out of stock there too, but priced at £400.

Delighted I came across the bignorman site on this thread, I'd never heard of it before and if I came across it accidentally I'd probably be skeptical and avoid thinking it was too good to be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

Im looking to buy a digital camera shortly. Ive looked at both above and am slightly favouring the s9100 although i also liked the panorama mode on the p300. Im a complete novice but im looking for a camera thats not too bulky,easy to use, good on auto and has a very clear lcd screen at the back. My budget would be 200-300 range.

Thanking all recommendations in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

Hi. Looking for lens advice. Previous user of slr cameras. Have an old eos 300 slr that came with 28-80 f4-5.6 usm and a 75-300 f4-5.6 usm. Ive been using a sony bridge camera for the lastfew years with full manual control. Hadnt the money to spend on a dslr.

Im now buying a canon 60d but wondering whether to pair it with the 18-135mm or get a 50mm f1.8 prime and the 18-55 is. Have approx a grand to spend. 60d + 18-135 is a shade over 1000 delivered frm onestop digital. The other combo is 948 delivered.

Thinking any xtra reach i need/want could b accomodated with the old 75-300. I like macro and wildlife photography. Some sports too. I know its not image stabilised but it never was and it didnt bother me b4. Thought the 18-55 is and 50mm prime may b of more use indoors with the wider apertures.

Looked also a sigma an tamron lens like 18-200mm and 15-70mm.

Any thoughts or advice. Should i look at a diff lens altogether. Or the 600d and spend savings on better lens. I know glass is king but dont want to upgrade body for a few yrs and faster fps and shutter speed would b useful.

I dont want to make a wrong decision when spending a grand. Any advice or a point in right direction will help. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 flashover

Hi Folks
    totally clueless on cameras. my good wife has dropped enough hints on looking for a new camera for christmas. we have the usual digital pocket camera, however she is looking for something of better quality, Zoom, megapixels etc. have new family and she is keen to start capturing some special days etc.
    any advice would be appreciated.
    flashover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

all depending on her knowledge of photography you could try a bridge camera.

its basically a compact camera with the ability to adjust the settings like a DSLR, if I was to recommend one I would say the Canon G11 or G12 (Latest version)...but I'm a canon person others might recommend another bridge camera.

or if you wanted get her a DSLR ... not sure which to recommend yet ...but at the beginner level they are all pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I've handled the Nikon D5100. It's a great camera, it's got simplified controls as well as the more complicated controls. Great sensor, from the D7000 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Need a day to day camera. Had an olympus compact zoom yoke would like similar. Preferably something with decent sport setting. Any suggestions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭leche solara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Hi i'm wondering how much the Canon IXUS i7 would be to buy now? Trying to track one down. How much would they be worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

KittyKat wrote: »
    Hi i'm wondering how much the Canon IXUS i7 would be to buy now? Trying to track one down. How much would they be worth?

A search of adverts.ie shows one sold for €50 last year.
    http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-digital-ixus-i7-zoom-camera/252535

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

Thanks for the reply.

I had a look at that camera and it seems decent enough for what I want it for. I found another one which seemed like good value as well maybe you could tell me in your opinion which would be better?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5596746/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780865%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

I am looking for a bridge camera with a zoom lens going from about 26 to 700 but it has to be manual zoom. I do not want a motorised drive. Megapixels not too concerned about. Budget up to €400 approx. Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

The Fujifilm HS 10 seemed to tick all the boxes but is discontinued. Its rplacement the HS20 has a motorised zoom. Drat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Why not just buy the body only, stick the old 28-80 on for a week or two, and see how you get on. Ask yourself what shots you are missing due to the lens. That will give you a feel for where best to spend on glass, i.e. faster, wider, IS etc etc.

A 50 1.8 prime can be had for very little money so I would definitely add one at some stage, but as it's really a medium telephoto on a crop sensor body you might find it a bit restricting for day to day use. It's not really a walk-about lens on a 60D. It's a brilliant portrait lens though. They often pop up second hand for around 60 euro.

Another option is the Canon EF 17-85mm IS USM, and if you plan to get into landscapes consider the sigma 10-20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

The Fujifilm HS 10 seemed to tick all the boxes but is discontinued. Its rplacement the HS20 has a motorised zoom. Drat.

AFAIK, the HS20 has a manual zoom lens. It is probably the same lens
    as used on the HS10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

herself has the P300 and is quite happy with it.
    one thing which i don't like is the lack of RAW capability, which you could reasonably expect in that price bracket, and the jpgs are a bit oversharpened, with no control over that.
    but it has a decent max aperture at the wide end (f1.8) and seems a capable performer otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

If it was me I'd go for the p300, the main (only?) reason being that it allows manual control, whereas the s9100 appears to be auto only. But then I'm used to a dSLR and having full control over my shots.

To be honest there's probably less people with experience of point and shoots in the photography forum than anywhere else, so you'll find it hard to find someone with experience of both here. Automodes don't really interest keen photographers, because they just don't need them.

I'd weigh up what I need versus cost, and then just go with one of them. Every day you spend making up your mind is a day you're not taking photos!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement