Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paulztag

Currently looking to get a camera for someone else. She will just want the camera for going out at night or family events really so it doesn't have to be anything special.

I am currently looking at the Nikon Coolpix s3100 or the Panasonic S3.

Can anyone give any option on either of these or would you suggest any other alternative?

My budget is about €100 as mentioned above it will mainly be used for nights out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Thanks hbr. Looked at pixmania and it seems to say its zoom has a motorised drive. See below???

Type Zoom lens - 4.2 mm - 126 mm - f/2.8-5.6
    Focal Length 4.2 mm - 126 mm
    Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 24 - 720mm
    Focus Adjustment Automatic, manual
    Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
    Min Focus Range 50 cm
    Macro Focus Range 1cm
    Lens Aperture F/2.8-5.6
    Optical Zoom 30 x
    Zoom Adjustment Motorised drive
    Lens Construction 11 group(s) / 15 element(s)
    Lens Manufacturer Fujinon
    Features ED glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Thanks hbr. Looked at pixmania and it seems to say its zoom has a motorised drive....

See page 16 of the users manual:
    http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/#s

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Hi lads,
    I was just looking for some advice. My wife has been talking about getting a new camera recently. I was looking at getting her the NIKON D3100 for Xmas. She is a photography noob and would maybe do a one day course. This is mainly borne from wanting some good photos of our daughter and her impending sibling :-)
    Would this be a recommended camera? As I'm fairly clueless and just going by some online reviews.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Well Im a noob too, only at it a year and I have a canon 550d and I love it! Think some of the shops give you a weekend course when you buy gear from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I think the d3100 has a tutorial mode, which may be useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

D3100 would be a great camera to start out with but I believe it's out of stock just about everywhere. Canon 1100D is another to consider. You can't go wrong with either of the 'big names'. I'm a n00b myself and started with a Pentax, but soon found that lenses, accessories, and even tailored tutorials/books aren't as easy to find as they are with Canon or Nikon.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

The D3100 is a great starter camera. If you really want to splash out, get a prime lens (if you can afford it) - great for portraits etc. the AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G is a great little lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gertien

Anyone know anything about the olympus sz-10.....is it any good or is there better out there for the same price?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hi all,

First time in the photography thread - up until now myself and my wife have bought the usual digital cameras but have gotten a bit pee'd off at some aspects of the sony camera we have so I am thinking of getting a digital SLR camera for us (surprise for my wife) for Christmas for us!

I have pinpointed two potential cameras and wanted to get peoples opinions on these and any suggestions for the budget i have (approx 400-500 euro)

Canon EOS 1100D (Rebel T3) - 466.99euro
    Nikon D3000 - 404.99euro

The Canon has a higher megapixel value, both have the same 18-55mm lens that comes with them, both have "pop-up" flash feature.

Both have good reviews and seem to be perfect options for entry level DSLR cameras (which is what I want) - does anyone have any recommednations of which I should go for?

Also, the prices above are from Argos - would this be a decent place to get the camera....i presume the warrenty still stands for each of the manufacturer, so the only advantage of buying in a camera shop is the aftersales service for figuring out how to work it (but that is what Boards.ie is for :p)

Cheers all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Best advice anyone can give here is ...go into a shop and hold each of them in your hand ...see which one feels right !

Also - there are other makers ... Sony, Pentax, Minolta etc make DSLR's...Also you should be able to get it cheaper than argos if you search around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Look here, special offer of Card and Camera bag with camera

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=categories&category_id=182

If you are in Dublin anytime I suggest you have a look in Berminghams near O'Connell bridge and as PCPhoto suggests, ask to hold each camera and see what you are happiest with.
    It will be hard to beat Argos prices on those cameras alone in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭monkeerina

Hi,

I've decided to finally buy a 'proper' camera and learn about photography.

I suppose best idea for me right now is to go with the cheaper options and then I can upgrade later if I find that I have had the time to actually properly learn about it.

I'm aware that it's 'all about the lens' but for the moment I want to leave that out as a deciding factor as for a starter kit I'll be getting a camera which comes with a basic 18-55 mm lens.

So where I am based right now (Canada) there is currently a deal on in Wallmart. The Canon D1000 ('Rebel XS') is on sale for $350 (no tax as am in NWT) while the newer D1100 (T3) is on sale for $500.

Basically my question is, do you think the extra $150 is worth it in terms of picture quality, 'newer software' and potentially selling it on afterwards? I'm aware that the T3 has a video feature whereas the XS doesn't, but I believe the quality isn't great anyway.

My other option is to push the boat out slightly and go for a Nikon 3100 at $600 or Sony A35 for $650. I love the 'sweeping panorama' option with the Sony brand and found the quality of photos with their smaller digital cameras far superior to other digital cameras, but not sure if this translates into the slr market plus someone did mention that their lenses can be quite expensive.

If anyone has experience of any of these 4 cameras let me know! I have looked through many an internet review already but getting mixed signals and I trust the boardsies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

Hi all,

Nikon D3000 - 404.99euro

This is the older model - the newer one has HD video.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Looking for a good quality compact digital as a present, budget in or around the €180 -220 mark (budget a little bit flexible either way). Just wondering if anyone has any specific reccomendations of a good camera in this ballpark

At the moment I am looking at cameras like the Lumix Tz-220,/Tz-218 Canon Powershot Sx230 and the Samsung WB700.

Possibly the main priorities are decent zoom and good quality indoor / low light picuture quality.

I was leaning towards the Canon as it is said to be one of the best in low light situations but its (supposedly) annoying constantly popping up flash and relatively poor battery life are putting me off.

All suggestions welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm a Sony shooter, and to be honest I don't know much about the Canon and Nikon models, so please take my bias and ignorance into account when reading my comments.

The A35 is a very capable camera. Be aware that it has an Electronic View Finder (EVF), not an Optical (OVF) one like the other cameras you mention. I have an A77 (which has a higher resolution EVF than the A35, so it's not 100% comparable) and I wouldn't go back to an OVF, but it's not for everyone. So be sure to handle these cameras yourself to get a feel for the viewfinders.

The A35 is the only camera in your group that does auto-focus in video, thanks to it's SLT design. This may or may not be important to you.

You say yourself that you're thinking ahead in terms of upgrading. Any of the cameras you mention will be more than suitable for growing into (especially since you're just starting out) so there's no need to be thinking too much about your next camera just now, but you're right to be thinking ahead in terms of the system you'll be buying onto.

I don't think Sony lenses are necessarily more expensive than Canon/Nikon. They're certainly harder to find in stores, but are easy to get online. Some will argue that the Sony lens range isn't as developed as Canon and Nikon, and while this it true in terms of absolute numbers, there's really very few gaps in the consumer/advanced consumer end of the market (it might be an issue if you're looking for professional telephoto primes over 300mm). Remember that both Sigma and Tamron make very good 3rd party lenses for Sony, Nikon and Canon (and Pentax) that tend to be cheaper than the native ones. Also, Sony camera use the same mount as the Minolta AF system, so there's 30 years of legacy second hand lenses (some of exceptional quality) that can be used too. So there's lots of choice at various price points.

My one misgiving about the A35 is that it lacks an articulated rear LCD. I'm not sure if the other cameras you mention have one, but to me it's a deal breaker on this particular model. The older A33 has one, so I don't know why Sony left it out of the newer model (well, of course I do know... cost).

Also, it has to be said that Canon and Nikon aren't the two dominant brands for nothing. Any of these cameras will surely serve you very well. My advice is to get a good feel for working modes in your hand, and go with what feels like the best fit to you.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Possibly the main priorities are decent zoom and good quality indoor / low light picuture quality.

I was leaning towards the Canon as it is said to be one of the best in low light situations but its (supposedly) annoying constantly popping up flash and relatively poor battery life are putting me off.

All suggestions welcome :)

Most cameras will pop up the flash if you use it in automatic mode and the camera decides that the scene is too dark without flash, try the camera in other modes like manual, aperture priority etc. Canon cameras are usually very good ( but I use Nikons :D).
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Hi all,

First time in the photography thread - up until now myself and my wife have bought the usual digital cameras but have gotten a bit pee'd off at some aspects of the sony camera we have so I am thinking of getting a digital SLR camera for us (surprise for my wife) for Christmas for us!

I have pinpointed two potential cameras and wanted to get peoples opinions on these and any suggestions for the budget i have (approx 400-500 euro)

Canon EOS 1100D (Rebel T3) - 466.99euro
    Nikon D3000 - 404.99euro

The Canon has a higher megapixel value, both have the same 18-55mm lens that comes with them, both have "pop-up" flash feature.

Both have good reviews and seem to be perfect options for entry level DSLR cameras (which is what I want) - does anyone have any recommednations of which I should go for?

Also, the prices above are from Argos - would this be a decent place to get the camera....i presume the warrenty still stands for each of the manufacturer, so the only advantage of buying in a camera shop is the aftersales service for figuring out how to work it (but that is what Boards.ie is for :p)

Cheers all!!
    I just got my 550D delivered this morning from bignorman.com, ordered sat over a week ago but great price
    Here's your 1100D for £365 + £5 delivery
    If you fancy stepping up to the 550D for value alone, it's £460 there compared with over €700 in Dublin shops

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Ah killer just purchased canon 550 from pixmania for E601.

Any tips on assesories i should now get?

Will be in hong kong in new year and understand that i could pick up a few things cheaper there.

Anyone any experience shopping there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Hi all hope someone can help,

I've decided to get myself a my first camera, superior to my phone :rolleyes:
    now i'll mainly be using it for Photographing Aircraft, sports etc,
    Unfortunately i'm not well versed in photographic lingo :), but i was thinking about spending €150 and i came across this on pixmania is it a good buy??

Cheers Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Hi all hope someone can help,

I've decided to get myself a my first camera, superior to my phone :rolleyes:
    now i'll mainly be using it for Photographing Aircraft, sports etc,
    Unfortunately i'm not well versed in photographic lingo :), but i was thinking about spending €150 and i came across this on pixmania is it a good buy??

Cheers Shane

Unfortunately sport and aircraft are fast moving so thats makes it harder for cameras to focus and capture the image. You need a fast lens and I wouldn't think this would be it unless you are going very high ISO and that will lead to grainy looking photos. If start taking your photography more seriously you will come to see that the camera has limitations. But on a tight budget there is not much you can do. Have a read of some reviews as most people don't know the details of all cameras under e500 as there are too many to keep track of. Might even be better going second hand route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dee83

Hi all,

My husbands 40th birthday is coming up and I know he would like a really good digital camera. I am looking at spending around the €500 mark. Can anyone give me any recommendations on this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Get him a titanium Leica, failing that get a Panasonic Lumix LX5, €560 in Conns or €420 from Amazon UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Maybe have a read here firstly. Then decide on what size camera you are after, what your husband wants to shoot etc. That will help narrow down the search. The Lecia and LX5 were recommended, I have the LX5 and it is a very nice camera, example shots here and here. No post processing done on either shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hey folks,

I was searching google last night for Nikon lenses. I found one site based in Honk Kong who post to Ireland and Duty and Shipping is included in the price. I googled the shops and it gets fantastic reviews.

However i cannot remember the name of the shop. My search history deletes itself everytime i shut down the computer and i tried searching and cant find it.

Does anyone know what its called?
    There cant be that many shops that include the price of duty.

Its NOT Simplyelectronics or Digital Rev.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I was searching google last night for Nikon lenses. I found one site based in Honk Kong who post to Ireland and Duty and Shipping is included in the price. I googled the shops and it gets fantastic reviews.

However i cannot remember the name of the shop. My search history deletes itself everytime i shut down the computer and i tried searching and cant find it.

Does anyone know what its called?
    There cant be that many shops that include the price of duty.

Its NOT Simplyelectronics or Digital Rev.

Onestop-digital. I bought a Sigma 17-70 there last week.

Onestop-digital. I bought a Sigma 17-70 there last week.

haha. Well done. Thats it. I knew there was a "Digital" in there somewhere. Were you charged Vat and Import duty as a matter of interest?

haha. Well done. Thats it. I knew there was a "Digital" in there somewhere. Were you charged Vat and Import duty as a matter of interest?

No. First order was shipped DHL, and this week Fedex (paid the extra €11 for these). Onestop do say to contact them immediately and they can clear it from their end.

No. First order was shipped DHL, and this week Fedex (paid the extra €11 for these). Onestop do say to contact them immediately and they can clear it from their end.

Brilliant. Just got to wait for my Sigma 10-20 to sell on adverts and ill be all sorted. Hope to god it sells before christmas.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Just got to wait for my Sigma 10-20 to sell on adverts and ill be all sorted. Hope to god it sells before christmas.
    Nice to meet you and my friend is delighted with your 10-20.
    Hope you had a great Saturday night in Dublin
    Good luck :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement