Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Nice to meet you and my friend is delighted with your 10-20.
    Hope you had a great Saturday night in Dublin
    Good luck :D

We had a great night, bloody cold though. Thanks for everything. Tell your friend Good luck with the lens. its a fantastic piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

Im not familiar with the 1000D or 1100D other than I lifted one once and it was light as a feather compared to my now dated 400D. However I did find this comparison of purely the picture for picture image quality of the 1000D v 1100D. it would seem that although the 1100D is more updated spec and features etc the image quality is basically the same. I believe the video quality may be better though on the 1100D, however like many DSLR enthusiasts I didnt buy a DSLR for video. Take a look at the other spec of the 1100D that the 1000D doesn't have and see if any of it interests you

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pman1

Right, time to pack away my beloved Canon A1 for good and its time to finally buy a digital camera and I need a little bit of advice. My main area of interest is taking industrial/ urban landscape pics so will be using tripod and fixed wide lens. outside of that I will be shooting bits and bobs out and about and a bit of natural light portraiture. Don’t really have an interest in Hi end video or in shooting burst of pics like sports or any of that. I suppose what I am getting at is that for my requirements, which are pretty basic would I be able to get a new Digital camera but perhaps an older models which would easily accomodate my needs but save on price. I have also been looking at the Sony DSLR cameras and have heard a lot of good stuff about them and a lot of online reviews seem quite good. Any recommendations on a basic DSLR (I would need a fixed wide angle lens and something flexible like a 28-70 aswell) that would be a good option for me would be much appreciated especially from anyone who knows a bit about the Sony DSLR’s , and any tips on good places to buy would also be appreciated, bearing in mind that I have no prob going back a few models once it covers my spec and saves money. Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I started off with a Sony Alpha A100.... it was a fantastic camera.

Good points
    1. Easy to get used to interface
    2. IS built into the camera so lenses are cheaper
    3. Great quality pics even from the entry level cameras.

Bad Pints
    1. Hard to find second hand gear compared to Nikon or Canon
    2. Most 3rd party accessories (wireless triggers etc) dont work with sony and you have to splash out for the opfficial gear.

Bar the 2 bad points mentioned I couldnt fault sony at all, the only reason I moved to Nikon is because my dad has one too so i can "borrow" all his gear lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 annika123

Hello guy's kindly tell me which camera is good for good photography ? please tell me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Almost every camera is good. It's then about how you use it, and how you get the most from it.

It will also depend on your budget. There is no simple answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

What do you consider to be "Good Photography"?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Its the one that you have with you at the time

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Stick to Canon or Nikon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I have one of these:

5251984267_3c02bc1743.jpg

and one of these

AfH5mN_CEAAWYyC.jpg

I paid €1 for the 1st camera and over €2000 for the second. I guarantee you if I showed you pictures from both you probably couldn't tell the difference. There is no "good" camera. They all do the same thing.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    Its the one that you have with you at the time

heard that before, good quote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I've read a few bits of this thread, but could somebody suggest a nice DSLR for taking photos of pretty much everything, could be sports, racing, scenery, family portrait etc... not necessarily one specific thing.

I dont have much knowledge of the area of cameras at all. Nor have I had much history with them, except for my sisters digital camera, but that's not what I'm interested in, I dont want something small enough to fit in a pocket for nights out. Something that's highly compatibale with 3rd party stuff. Any information on recommending what I should look out for, or what the specs of a camera actually mean (eg. the lens mm). It's probably on this thread somewhere, but I dont have time to look through 30+ pages, unfortunately.:p Budget is (hopefully) less than €700/800.

But most of all I'd like to have somthing I can have fun with!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

I've read a few bits of this thread, but could somebody suggest a nice DSLR for taking photos of pretty much everything, could be sports, racing, scenery, family portrait etc... not necessarily one specific thing.

I dont have much knowledge of the area of cameras at all. Nor have I had much history with them, except for my sisters digital camera, but that's not what I'm interested in, I dont want something small enough to fit in a pocket for nights out. Something that's highly compatibale with 3rd party stuff. Any information on recommending what I should look out for, or what the specs of a camera actually mean (eg. the lens mm). It's probably on this thread somewhere, but I dont have time to look through 30+ pages, unfortunately.:p Budget is (hopefully) less than €700/800.

But most of all I'd like to have somthing I can have fun with!:)

I think at that price range your best options would be Nikon d5100,
    or a Canon 600d.
    Both great camera's, I have the NIkon myself but I wouldn recommend one over the other as I think the better is just the one u prefer in your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Have you looked at bridge cameras? (like a dslr, a bit smaller and only 1 lens).

I think as a starter camera these are a great option.

For a dslr all rounder (as you say) you'll want more than one lens unless you go for an 18-250mm or similar but these are large. Which means either missing out on shots or carrying around a bag and changing lenses.
    With a bridge camera you get a jack of all trades- macro, MASSIVE zoom, HD video, flip out screen etc. You can have a lot of fun with it and all in a reletaviely small camars and without having to change lenses.

Yes, it's not as good as a dslr in low light, slower reaction speed but you get a load of 'bang for your buck'.

Also down the line if you get hooked on photography you can probably sell your bridge for close to what you bought it for.
    Have a look here for a Bridge Camera group text conclustion and ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Digging up this thread...

I really want one of these now, mainly for video and use with my collection of lenses.

I cannot find them anywhere in Irelan, only one demo model in Conns cameras

Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

one of what ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Sony A33 / A55

My thread was merged :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Hi folks,

Looking for advice on a camera and lens please.

Main purpose of which is to shoot moving objects (people and vehicles) from a distance of up to 50 metres max.

Budget is not an issue (just to see what's available first!).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Hello I'm looking for a decent cheap camera for photography.

One that is fairly good but not too expensive and would prefer a 'proper' camera. I have searched on-line and I have seen some DSLR models going fairly cheap but I don't have a clue what I'm at. It's for Christmas and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

How's things?
    I looking to buy a backpack I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, basically what I'm looking for is a backpack I could comfortably wear all day hiking,
    Allows easy access to the camera ( I've seen some that allow you to take the camera out the side)
    Would have a separate compartment for wet gear, a bottle of water maybe an is map and a compass.
    I should say I've a 400d I'd have a 17-85mm lens or a 70-300mm
    I'd also like to be able to take my tripod a couple of filters ect.

I was looking at the lowepro photo sport 200 aw any have one are they ok?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Looking to buy a 580Ex2 flashgun for my Canon 60D. Anyone know the cheapest place I could find one. I've tried searching on adverts , ebay and still quite expensive on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

swingking wrote: »
    Looking to buy a 580Ex2 flashgun for my Canon 60D. Anyone know the cheapest place I could find one. I've tried searching on adverts , ebay and still quite expensive on ebay

Amazon is your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

I'm interested in buying the Sony Nex 5N. Where is the best place to buy it? The best price I've seen so far is €650 in Conn's.

However... I'd quite like the white one. Is the white version of it available anywhere? Apart from sony.com I suppose, since they don't ship to Ireland. So is it available anywhere that ships to Ireland?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Hi there,

Going to be buying a 5d mkii in the next few days but just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything new coming out in the next few months that i should hang on before i buy? Maybe there is somethign that could rival the mkii in months to come and may be better? just get cautious when im spending so much thats all and wanna make sure im up to date!

heard that there was a site out there called "buy or wait" or something to that effect, anyone aware of this?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Any recommendations on a good 35mm system? I have a pentax S1A but it's very old and my grandfathers so I don't want to risk breaking it.

I was looking into Eos 1/3/5 bodies, would those work with my canon DSLR lenses? Specifically the nifty fifty?

Another thing that looked very tempting was the leica R4, my only problem is trying to afford a 50mm sumicron to go with it, any suggestions for decent lenses that will work well on that body with an adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Eos camera's work with Eos/EF lenses ...not 100% if they work with EF-s lenses...but.... google is your friend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi there,

Going to be buying a 5d mkii in the next few days but just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything new coming out in the next few months that i should hang on before i buy? Maybe there is somethign that could rival the mkii in months to come and may be better? just get cautious when im spending so much thats all and wanna make sure im up to date!

heard that there was a site out there called "buy or wait" or something to that effect, anyone aware of this?

cheers

Am not 100% sure, but isint the Mark 3 due to come out?
    Someone, with a bit more knowledge might back me up, or shut me up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the 1D X is due out March/April - Canon are due to announce something at the next camera convention which is early January (I think)

whether that will be a new camera or lens/lenses I dont know.

I would say hold off ...for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Any recommendations on a good 35mm system? I have a pentax S1A but it's very old and my grandfathers so I don't want to risk breaking it.

I was looking into Eos 1/3/5 bodies, would those work with my canon DSLR lenses? Specifically the nifty fifty?

Another thing that looked very tempting was the leica R4, my only problem is trying to afford a 50mm sumicron to go with it, any suggestions for decent lenses that will work well on that body with an adapter?

Yeah any eos camera system whether film of digital will work with eos lenses, so any canon lens bought in the last 20 years will work! Im looking to buy a Canon Eos 3 pretty soon my self. Its the best of the bunch apparently, 45 focus points, and it even reads your eye to tell where you want to focus! Brilliant.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/film-bodies/eos-3.htm

good review here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement