Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Setanta1974

I have been thinking alot about trying my hand at photography lately. But I have to admit I don't have that much knowledge about it or the eqiupement involved so have been doing a bit of research over the last 2 months.

I have been offered a Canon 450D with Sigma DC 18-200 Lens today for 550 euro which I immediately felt was not a good deal as they looked second hand so wanted to do a bit of research on prices online first. This proved hard as the 450D is discontinued and I could not find second prices for it on its own either. As for the Sigma lens, I found varying prices for this for between 200 and 500 euro.

I hope to get into landscape photography and maybe architectural so I would definately need good zooming capablilties and wide angle to a certain extent also.

Hopefully some of you guys can tell me what would be a reasonable offer to make for the above and if they would be worth buying in the first place. Or maybe ye could recommend a camera and lens that would be more suited to what I want. I am hoping to spend no more than 500 euro.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Doesn't sound like a good deal. 450D is getting old by todays standards. That lens covers too much ground to be a great lens. For landscape and architecture you will use wide and not zoom. Search on adverts.ie for a 450D and you'll get a guide price. See what price people are getting and not just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

I agree its not a good deal or at least not for what you want. I also agree that this isn't a good lens to learn with. It covers too much zoom range and therefore compromises somewhat on many of the things that make dslr photography great such as sharpness and flexibility or aperture control. You would be better with an 18-55 IS lens. For less money 430 euro you can get a brand new 1100d with 18-55mm IS on ny-camera hehere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

So after at least a month of research... a lot of research tbh :p

I'm going with the Sony A35 next week.

It has everything I want and need. Full 1080p video, external mic slot, liveview (all of which my A200 cannot do) and will take all my lenses so no need to splash out more

Also, it means I can but the body only

Conns are doing it at the moment
    €499.99
    FREE LowePro Fastpack 100, FREE 4GB Class 10 SDHC card, FREE Half-day Training Course

Thoughts / opinions?

http://www.connscameras.ie/sony-slta35/p-4905524769739pd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

I have asked this question before and the subject of RAW came up as neither of the above have RAW. To be honest I dont think I need it, all im looking for is a point and shoot camera with a crystal clear LCD screen at the back

My budget would be 200-300 range.

All recommendations welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭username2010

CabanSail wrote: »
    If you are buying an SLR these days then used is really the only viable route. You can pick up some very nice gear for not a lot of money. Most of the companies have now switched over to having their range as DSLR's so the choice new is limited.

Starting out with Film is quite a good way of going and if I understand your post you are wanting to get as simple a machine as possible so you can learn as a beginner and progress that way. It is "Old School" and not common but I think you will end up with a superior grounding in the fundamentals of exposure control moving that way rather than jumping in at Auto on a DSLR and then trying to work backwards.

My start was with old Nikon Bodies (they were new then) and there are still many around. A lot of them were almost bullet proof and are still solid machines these days. Other SLR's from the time can also be very solid. Look to the future though & select a system where your SLR glass can still work with a new DSLR Body. I think that Nikon have the widest compatibility over history with their F Mount so it's worth looking in that direction.
    Hi Cabansail,
    Thanks a lot for that comprehensive info!
    Cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

thinking of buying this camera as a starter camera, what are peoples opinions of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Hey all,

I'm looking for a Nikon DSLR that shoots video.
    I've thought the D90 looks ideal, but I'm wondering if I should just save for the D7000. Audio isn't an issue at the moment - I have ways of getting great audio without the camera itself, so it's just down to camera specs, prices and usability otherwise!

Any tips, thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Macinerto

Hi does anyone if the spurious batterys are any good. Getting a canon 600d from onestop soon and seen they are much cheaper for batterys on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Macinerto wrote: »
    Hi does anyone if the spurious batterys are any good. Getting a canon 600d from onestop soon and seen they are much cheaper for batterys on ebay
    I have tried the extremely cheap batteries from e-bay (£5) and they were bad, all capacity gone within 6 months. Now I am using batteries by HAMA, bought in Gunns, and I am very happy with them. They are about half price of original Canon ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Macinerto

Thanks. I thought they might be a bit mickey mouse. Just reading some reviews on new releases. I might wait a few weeks for the 650d. Anyone got any ideas on how much more than the 600d it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

ene wrote: »
    thinking of buying this camera as a starter camera, what are peoples opinions of it?

I have one, I do like it, its got some very nice features. Useless for video though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

My girlfriend has expressed an interest in getting into photography so I was thinking about getting her a camera for her birthday.

I'm looking for something decent in the sub €200 range, not a DSLR obviously, but something better than your standard point and shoot. Spotted this and thought it looked like good value, although I've never heard of the brand. Then I thought maybe for a few quid more I'd be better off getting this?

Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The company I work for want a camera to keep in the office (standard indoor office, with high ceilings, normal lighting) to use for any events, photos of visitors etc.

Something that 'anyone'/a non photography person can use.
    And compact-ish.
    Video that'll focus on moving objects.
    Ideally one that'll preform good in low light would be helpful.
    Budget isn't an issue

I'd love to get something like the Fujifilm X10 but my reservation is that something with a bigger zoom would probably be better.
    I was thinking the Canon S100/Panasonic LX5 or similar but again it's not got a big zoom.

Anyone any suggestions?

Get the people to stand closer to the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Effects wrote: »
    Get the people to stand closer to the camera?

I know. The Fujifilm X10 would be very sweet, has a viewfinder as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Spotted this and thought it looked like good value, although I've never heard of the brand.

One of the largest companies on the planet :P Didn't know they made cameras though, perhaps the Fuji would be more likely to be good, as it's their main business.

dinneenp wrote: »
    I know. The Fujifilm X10 would be very sweet, has a viewfinder as well.
    Think I'd prefer the LX5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I just can't help but wonder is the mk3 5D over the mk2 as I've been saving like... and ima little confused weather to wait or not...

any thoughts

You'll be waiting almost a year probably. I've head mkii prices being quite good at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Effects wrote: »
    You'll be waiting almost a year probably. I've head mkii prices being quite good at the moment.

I've seen them as low as 1500,00 but that was before christmas everything gone up now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

After looking at the price and the comparisons of the 600D and the D5100, I still cant seem to make my mind up, the girlfriends brother suggested the Nikon, which is the one he's going to be getting himself, but a friend of mine said that the Canon is a better camera?

Either way I've been told to get the 18-250mm lens, both come in at around the 900 mark... a bit annoyed that the price went up an extra €20 :mad:

An 18-250 lens covers too much distance to be any good. €20 ain't much when you spread it out over the life of the camera. Sure it's only the price of four pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KierKenn

Hi there,

Would be great to get some advice on a camera that I am considering buying. Looking mainly for a camera that will catch family moments (young children growing up fast, etc!).

Saw this one and thought the two lens were good value (could to some landscape stuff for fun):

CANON EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 75-300 mm F4-5.6 III lenses

Camera is mainly to catch family moments, holidays, family photos, etc.

Any advice is appreciated

k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

do you need a DSLR ? why cant a compact camera do what you want ?
    or a bridge camera ?? (A compact camera which you can adjust the settings like a DSLR)

just buying a DSLR involves learning about photography - settings, aperture, shutter speeds, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KierKenn

I think you might be right. Any compact that you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

The EOS 1100D is a great starter DSLR, but if you don't have a bit of technical know-how you'll probably get as good or better results with a decent bridge camera, and be more inclined to carry it with you than a DSLR with two lenses.

As opposed to a point-and-shoot compact, a bridge camera (like this Fuji) will give great results out of the box but also allow you full creative control over exposure, focus, depth of field, etc.

If you can spend a bit more, look at the Panasonic Lumix range, especially the ones with Leica lenses. Something like this will also give you HD video recording, which you may find useful for family occasions. The zoom on either of them will give you a greater "reach" than both of the Canon kit lenses combined (24-720mm for the Fuji, 25-600mm for the Lumix — the latter has Image Stabilisation, which you will need to take full advantage of the longer focal length).

As well as comparing specs on paper, I'd strongly recommend you try handling a few models in a camera store to see what "feels right" in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 broadbanddub

Hi

I want to expand into the world of SLR, I have no idea of all the different functions. I have never owned or used an SLR.

I have been to a few shops and they have not really shed any light.

One shop tried to sell me Sony SLT-A35, another one Canon 600D.

Another shop said the best starter slr is a Canon 550 or 1100.

Also advise me to buy a canon, as would be easier to sell on or exchange.

I was just wondering what would everyone here suggest? I have never owned an slr before, just a normal canon Digital IXUS 980 IS, pocket camera.

Would be grateful for an advice, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Depends on what you want it for, but I'd advise against the likes of the 1000D and 1100D. They really are a bottom of the barrel DSLR, deliberatly gimped by Canon in the hopes that you'll get frustrated by their shortcomings and upgrade to something more expensive.

I'd say go with at least the 600D if you feel you really need a DSLR. It has a decent HD video mode and built in remote flash commander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'd say go for a second hand 30/40/50D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement