Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I'm placing my order for my camera, and am getting it from Pixmania, seen the same one in Simply Electronics, but after researching it, I'll steer clear of them. The only thing that's annoying me is that they have an Irish and UK site, but I was looking at getting this lens http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/536785/art/nikon/af-s-dx-vr-zoom-nikkor-55.html but (including the exchange rate) it's €40 more expensive than the one on the UK site http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/536785/art/nikon/af-s-dx-vr-zoom-nikkor-55.html

Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Hi all. Sorry for wandering in, but I have a problem that your photography people might be have suggestions for.

I'm planning on a several week motorcycle trip around the Southeastern Europe/Balkans, and plan to take lots of videos. However I might run out of SD card space. I figure photographers might have this problem aswell.

Have any of used any of those "portable photo backup" things? (like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005R1738Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d8_g23_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=01TFAWTAPZKJ0NCC2NTS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294 or this http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/computers/wolverine_flashpac.html ). Y'know a portable harddrive with battery that you slot your SD card(s) into and it'll copy the files to the harddrive? Does anyone have any recommendations on what's good/bad/things to avoid/etc.?

I could just bring a netbook/laptop and copy the files that way, but I'd like something much more physically smaller (motorbikes don't have a massive boot!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

there are options like that for space but they are generally just too expensive to justify the purchase.

if space is not an issue - why not download to a laptop, which would also allow you to blog your adventure in the evenings. (assuming you can get a broadband connection)

having re-read your post - laptop would be the cheapest/best option in my opinion, but if you are going for portable storage I believe Epson were the best a few years ago, but ensure you can transfer movies and playback before purchasing (some of these products don't support some formats of video)
    here's a link to the most recent (I think) Epson http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=B31B192002

Enjoy your trip (Lucky Baxtard)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

I'm on the hunt for my very first Digital SLR and so far these two camera's have caught my eye. I want it for a better quality pic for general personal use. I love wildlife so i'm thinking the P100 might be better as it seems to have a more extendable zoom, plus it takes videos and has an adjustable screen and it seems to be slightly smaller than the D3100.

Anyone any tips or advice? or other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

kassie wrote: »
    I'm on the hunt for my very first Digital SLR and so far these two camera's have caught my eye. I want it for a better quality pic for general personal use. I love wildlife so i'm thinking the P100 might be better as it seems to have a more extendable zoom, plus it takes videos and has an adjustable screen and it seems to be slightly smaller than the D3100.

Anyone any tips or advice? or other recommendations?

The P100 isn't a DSLR.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056399555

• Advertisement

The P100 isn't a DSLR.

Thanks for that, i'm a total beginner and still learning, i should have put i'm looking to upgrade my camera from a point and shoot to something a bit more sophisticated. I find my pocket digital camera isn't quite fast enough at capturing pics and the quality of the pic, while its good, but not as good as others i've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Hi All,

I'm after trawling through Amazon & Argos websites and I am headwrecked trying to find a camera that suits all my requirements.

1) A compact - I'm a photography novice I just want a few nice snaps
    2) Hobby 1: Hillwalking I want a good Zoom to take pictures from far away -also for at concerts etc
    3) Hobby 2: Showjumping I want to take action shots. My current camera misses it every time. I'm sick of empty pics minus the horse :-)

Hopefully maximum of €150. Am I asking too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I've a nice one going for cheap (altho a little more then €150) over on adverts -

http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sx220-brand-new-and-unused/1282775

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Kazbah wrote: »

1) A compact - I'm a photography novice I just want a few nice snaps

This is no problem. Any good compact camera will be ok for this.
    Panasonic Lumix are my own favourite. Canon also make some nice
    P&S cameras.
    2) Hobby 1: Hillwalking I want a good Zoom to take pictures from far away -also for at concerts etc

"also for at concerts etc" This bit could be a big problem and may
    increase your required budget by several thousand euro.
    3) Hobby 2: Showjumping I want to take action shots. My current camera misses it every time. I'm sick of empty pics minus the horse :-)

" I want to take action shots" Another tricky area. For indoor arenas, you
    will need a fast camera with a fast lens.
    Hopefully maximum of €150. Am I asking too much?

A basic compact camera will take nice pictures in good light. This
    will probably be fine for 90% of your shots. If you really need good
    results for the other 10%, you will need to increase your budget
    substantially. For indoor concerts and showjumping, the ideal
    tool is a DSLR with a fast lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Can anyone recommend a quick release strap for a Nikon D5100? I don't mean a Black Rapid type that uses the tripod mount, but something like the one supplied but with release clips built in, close to the camera body.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

hbr wrote: »
    A basic compact camera will take nice pictures in good light. This will probably be fine for 90% of your shots. If you really need good
    results for the other 10%, you will need to increase your budget
    substantially. For indoor concerts and showjumping, the ideal
    tool is a DSLR with a fast lens.

Thank you, I thought I was asking a bit much! Defo have to have do with the 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Can anyone recommend a quick release strap for a Nikon D5100? I don't mean a Black Rapid type that uses the tripod mount, but something like the one supplied but with release clips built in, close to the camera body.

Thanks.

Ah, found one. Op/tech (uni-loop).

http://optechusa.com/straps/super-classic-strap.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chubster

Hi everyone,
    I've a Canon 500D and was hoping someone could recommend a top-quality tripod for me

Many thanks,
    Chubster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Buy a new Slik, Manfrotto or Giottos and you won't go wrong. Pay at least 150 euro and the quality should be right. Pay more and you will get a Pro grade tripod. Always a good investment.

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=categories&category_id=338

I'm thinking about upgrading my "point and shoot" camera and am wondering, while i'll be spending alot of money, is it worth going straight for a DSLR or would i be better with a "bridge camera" like Canon Powershot XS40. The camera would be for personal use with a view to improving the quality of shots and in the hope of capturing some good wildlife shots.

Any opinions or advice for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Wildlife photography gear is notoriously expensive, fast telephoto lenses are very dear, like multiple thousands dear. It's one of only a few areas of photography where you need to spend to be in with a chance of getting a decent photo, and that's apart from the unique skillset of getting into the right position to get the shot.

If it was me I'd get a body with good ISO capabilities, crop sensor and a long kit lens, and immediately start saving for a fast telephoto and teleconverter.

I wouldn't bother with a bridge.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

kassie wrote: »
    I'm thinking about upgrading my "point and shoot" camera and am wondering, while i'll be spending alot of money, is it worth going straight for a DSLR or would i be better with a "bridge camera" like Canon Powershot XS40. The camera would be for personal use with a view to improving the quality of shots and in the hope of capturing some good wildlife shots.

Any opinions or advice for me?

A Bridge is no use for Wildlife Photography. You'll need a fast telephoto lens and a decent DSLR.

If you just want to take pics of your dog and the birds in your garden, go for a bridge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP I did that and got a bridge camera, the Fuji HS10 which got great reviews. What a waste. It was rubbish, nothin on a SLR. I had owned an SRL before but the difference was massive. You're better with a decent point & shoot really. Te HS10 did have a massive zoom but you rarely need it tbh. Save up a few quid, get on adverts and buy a used DSLR

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,
    I'm looking at getting a new compact camera.
    From Agros I've seen :

Nikon S3100 14 MP Digital Compact Camera - € 79.99
    Nikon COOLPIX S2600 14MP Camera - € 87.50
    Fujifilm JX420 16MP Camera - € 87.50
    Kodak M23 Digital Camera € 87.50
    The only difference between them seems to be iso numbers.

Ideally I'd like to stick with the € 80.00 to € 90.00 price range,
    but I would appreciate any ideas/views/opinions.

Thanks

jay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

it's down to personal preference really i suppose. if it were me, i'd go with fuji.. but that is because i've had so many fuji compacts and have always loved them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Thats what I was looking for :
    Had one of those and it was ... brilliant....average....crap

Any other views etc

Thanks
    jay

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Have had a number of Coolpix's, no complaints about them

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I'm looking for a new camera for my mother. Recently, i was looking at pictures taken with a coolpix (1100) I think, and I thought they were fantastic. My mother is really interested in a camera that can take good quality continuous close up shots. She likes to sell general items online. At the moment, the small cannon she has isn't up to the task and gives up after three or four close up shots. Budget €200 to €250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ankaka

If you are a highly self motivated learner I'd spend the money for classes rather on the equipment. There is so much great information online (including here on the forums) that I'd make sure to get the right stuff first before ending up with inferior tools.

Something else worth a mention, is how fast the camera shoots and how good the AF system is. For example, the Canon Rebels are pretty good entry level DSLR cameras, and if you pair one with a great lens, you should be able to get great results. But the AF may be lacking and they only shoot at 3 frames per second. Move up to the 7D and now you can shoot at 8 frames per second, with Canon's best AF system under $4000. That may be overkill for the type of photograph you're doing...but maybe not. ;););););)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Looking at getting a Canon 550d in the coming weeks, what is a realistic price for one of these? There are two prices on pixmania €676 or €539 and even used models on adverts seem to be selling for over €500 (im guessing they used to be closer to 800 and people are trying to recoup their money?) and then you can get them on ebay for around €400 delivered in some cases. Whats the catch?

Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

conzymaher wrote: »
    ...... €400 delivered in some cases. Whats the catch?

The catch is that many of the eBay and foreign sellers are selling the American
    Rebel T2i or Asian Kiss X4 models. These are more or less identical to the
    European 550D except that you might get the wrong power plug for the
    charger and the wrong user manual. These 'Grey Imports' won't have any
    warranty cover with Canon Europe.

550D/T2i/Kiss X4s in the €400-500 range are probably refurbished. This
    is not necessarily bad, but it may mean the camera is offered with a short
    warranty.

A European 550D with one year Canon warranty will cost about €600
    from UK sellers. You can add another €20-30 for shipping.
    eBay Item number: 260950858414 is typical

High Street prices in Ireland are generally above €700 for the same
    550D with 18-55mm kit lens. The Argos price is currently €737.
    €750 from Conns, €799 from Harvey Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I'm looking for a good cheap tripod for a Canon 60D.
    Its for both indoor and outdoor work.
    I used to have a Slik 88, but thats broken now and I didnt like the way I couldnt pan and tilt very easily - it was somewhat limited

Anyone got any suggestions?

Happy to source it second hand for the right model

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Could be the wrong place to ask since this is about video, but it's DSLR video :p

I've a 600D on the way from Amazon which I'll be using to make video documentaries. Is it worth getting an ND filter or a set of them? I'll be doing outdoor stuff and probably mostly between spring/summer this year so it might be sunny. I don't want to be stuck needing one at the last minute so I'll get one if it's useful for that. It'll be going on a 50mm 1.8 lens I'd say, and possibly on the kit lens too, so I'd need 2 in that case.

As well as that, for audio I already have a zoom h2, but I was thinking of getting a rode videomic too for interviews, is that just total overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

I'm looking at buying my first slr camera and have spotted a nikon D60 and i'm thinking of buying it. anyone here use one or have one?

I'm new to slr's so any info from owners or users would be great

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

I'm sure you are sick of these posts but would appreciate any help, with the impending large numerical birthday coming up my family is chipping in to buy me a new lens.
    I have a nikon D3000 not amazing but great for what I need but would love a better zoom than the kit lens I have.
    I was looking at http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/536785/art/nikon/af-s-dx-vr-zoom-nikkor-55.html and seems to be coming up a lot
    Really can't find a compatible tamron lens and feel cross eyed looking at all the initials!
    Any help please??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement