Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

It could lead to "if you loved me conversation..." but I think it's out of their budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Hi fellas,

I'm looking to upgrade my cameras, I am currently all Canon. So I'd like to stay that way where possible.

I use SLR's for video mostly, if you look at my sig you'll see that I make car videos mostly.

The two cameras that I've narrowed it down too are the 7d and 60d. Looking at the specs they seem near enough the same for video, the 60d's flip out screen would suit me more for self shooting.

I really want 24fps @ 1080p as it gives that movie look. Has anyone used both cameras? Other than the solid build quality is there any reason to buy one over the other for video?

I'm also looking for the best deal, so if you spot one cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SSS2012

Hi there, I am looking for advice on investing in a good camera for photography, blogging and vlogging! I would like a good SLR that can take great pictures and can also take good videos for vlogging and making short films. I have been looking at canons but I would also be interested in nikon. I am going to bring it travelling so I don't want it to cost over 700. I am pretty new to photography so I don't want anything that is too difficult to use. I think 500 would be the ideal price id like to pay. I have been looking around for a while but im a little lost. I know when you buy some SLR's in shops they offer you a day course to show you how to use the camera.

If anyone could offer any advice on a camera that would be suitable and also where on this island I could buy it..I would be really grateful!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

DSLR's aren't ideal for video as there is a bit of a learning curve to them. It's not like a handicam or camcorder where you just press record and away you go. There is no autofocus on a DSLR and the depth of field can be very narrow so it is difficult to focus properly on it.

Every camera known to man can take great pictures but it's depending on the skill of the person pressing the button as to whether the picture will be great or not :)

If you are still intent on going down the DSLR route then a 550D and kit lens will be able to do what you want but you will have a bit of learning ahead of you. You might be able to pick one up for about €500 but that is second hand. You need to buy new to get the one day training course but you will need a lot more than a one day training course I'm afraid!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

The Sony A33 has an AMAZING HD Video camera built in, very impressed with it, and all the features of the camera in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

I gave up taking my DSLR away on hols,too much to be lugging around. Have recently bought a Canon sx220hs,and although havn't given it a good work out yet,it seems to be all I was hoping it to be.
    Maybe not all the benefits of a DSLR,but for what I'd be doing,all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Panasonic GH2

Video is so good feature films have been made using them - Honda uses them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The Canon 550D is pretty good at the basement price point. Canon's video is overall superior and a few feature films have already been made using them, not the 550D I might add but a professional stablemate.

These cameras are not video cameras and have at best 30 minutes, I'd need to look up the exact spec of the 550D. Should be fine for vbloggin.

Most do not focus in video mode or very, very slowly so some thought needs to be given to video but the quality is better than many professional video cams costing thousands of euro ~ it does not have the features of a professional camcorder though, just basic good quality.

Nikon will have something similar and will do your job just as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

BengaLover wrote: »
    I know ad says its for Nikon, Canon etc, but surely it will fit on any camera, I use a Sony A33.

IIRC sony use a proprietary flash shoe*, so it will indeed fit on any camera ... except for any Sony ones :-)

I can't remember why this was actually, did they inherit this from Minolta ? Or was it a typically annoying move from Sony itself ?

Just to clarify for you incase you're picking it up wrongly, it says "available for". There are obviously different models for different brands, not just one flash that works on everything. As far as I know each brand have their own way of doing things (which is why my Canon won't work on your Sony, etc.)

Metz are an independent flash maker, but they make their models for different brands (ie; they have a Metz 48 AF-1 for Canon, the same again for Nikon, Olympus etc. but much like lens mounts, they can't cross over).

That said, I'm referencing TTL (auto) mode. I've never seen a sony foot mount but i'd assume it's the same as Canon, Olympus, Nikon, etc. in which case they should all work with Manual mode.

I have, and a friend has, a YN460II. They're pretty decent and work on everything (but no Auto mode, all Manual). Picked it up on Amazon for €40-€50 I think. Could be worth a look?

That said, I'm referencing TTL (auto) mode. I've never seen a sony foot mount but i'd assume it's the same as Canon, Olympus, Nikon, etc. in which case they should all work with Manual mode.

The foot mount for practically all cameras ever made ever is the same (it's some iso standard) with a central pin to trigger the flash. So you can stick virtually any flash on top of most cameras and at least fire it in whatever manual mode it has. Then every manufacturer has it's own proprietary TTL pinouts on top of the basic mount.

However, Minolta and subsequently Sony have a proprietary basic shoe mount so you can't mount anything other than sony/minolta flashes without an adapter. I missed that 'available for' bit though so yeah, presumably the seller has them in their various different shoe mounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Check out the Yongnuo 560 (Sony), I have a 467 and it's a great flash unit for very little money.

http://stores.ebay.com/hkyongnuophotoequipment/_i.html?_nkw=sony&submit=Search&_sid=720284096

Thanks for that - I didnt realise Sony was the exeption to the standard fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As Daire said, Sony use a propitiatory hotshoe (inherited from Minolta), so flashes that work on Canon/Nikon/Pentax won't work on a Sony without an adapter like this:

http://www.connscameras.ie/sony-fahs1am-flash-adapter/4905524542141pd.html

(there may be cheaper 3rd party ones, but that's the official Sony one)

Looking at the abysmal Suntax site (http://www.suntax.com.sg/digitalflash.html), I don't see any reference to Sony versions of any of their flashes, so I'd tread carefully.

Sony, Sigma, Metz and Nissin make well regarded flashes for Sony, but you'd need to get the dedicated Sony model. There's probably a few other manufactures too, but I have heard of some that work fine with older models don't work with the newer SLTs (a33, a55, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

The foot mount for practically all cameras ever made ever is the same (it's some iso standard) with a central pin to trigger the flash.

not all flash are fired from central pin though, newer ones other methods too

i have a nissin 622 which isnt fired from the centre pin

stcstc wrote: »
    not all flash are fired from central pin though, newer ones other methods too

i have a nissin 622 which isnt fired from the centre pin

-can- it be fired from a bog standard hotshoe with just the central pin though ? I know most modern system flashes have a variety of pins, most of them conform still to that old ISO standard that dictates the basic hotshoe/pin configuration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Does anyone know of an action sports camera similar to the GoPro series? I'm looking for one you can stick onto a skimboard so it will obviously need a mount and to be waterproof, any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

nope

if i plug into a hotshoe trigger it wont fire, but will on camera

BUT i did do a mod so can trigger from triggers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Troxck wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an action sports camera similar to the GoPro series? I'm looking for one you can stick onto a skimboard so it will obviously need a mount and to be waterproof, any tips?

Yeah get a GoPro there the best sports cameras going :D

you could also look at the Contour cameras but you will have to buy the waterproof casing extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Got myself the d5100, finally! And I'm delighted to say I love it! Was a tad disappointed with the zoom on the default 18-55mm lens, me being the complete noob and all. Thinking about purchasing a 55-200/300 at some point.But apart from that very minor detail, very pleased indeed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Rew wrote: »

you could also look at the Contour cameras but you will have to buy the waterproof casing extra.

I'm on a tight budget so if the Contour is cheaper I may go with that. Thanks for the feedback! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Troxck wrote: »
    Rew wrote: »

I'm on a tight budget so if the Contour is cheaper I may go with that. Thanks for the feedback! :D

GoPro HD Heros are alot cheaper esp 2nd hand now that the hero 2 is out I'd look at those if your budget will match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Looking for some advice. I've been using point and shoots for years and am fed up with so many poor photos. Most of the photos I take are indoors and of my kids so I assume I need something with a decent sensor. Zoom minimum of 3 anything more a bonus. Video not important. I want something as automatic as possible as with the kids I don't have time to fiddle with settings. Is an entry dslr best like canon 1000/1100/500/550/600 or the g12. I list canon as that is the brand I've looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Most of the photos I take are indoors and of my kids so I assume I need something with a decent sensor.

Just about all of the sensors available will give decent performance. For best performance
    in low light, you need a physically large sensor. The sensors used in DSLRs are much
    bigger than the tiny 1/2.3" sensor used in compact cameras.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format
    Zoom minimum of 3 anything more a bonus.

If you are happy with a zoom range of 3x, a DSLR with a standard
    18-55mm lens is probably the best choice for you. There are other options.
    You might also consider some of the mirrorless cameras like the Panasonic
    and Olympus micro four thirds cameras or the Sony NEX.
    Video not important.

Most new cameras will have it as standard.
    I want something as automatic as possible as with the kids I don't have time to fiddle with settings.

Fiddling with settings is the fun part.
    Is an entry dslr best like canon 1000/1100/500/550/600 or the g12. I list canon as that is the brand I've looked at.

All good cameras. The G12 is not a DSLR, but it does have a larger sensor
    than a typical compact and a limited zoom range. It will be better than a
    typical P&S in low light, but not as good as a DSLR. Another option is
    a high quality compact camera with a larger sensor.

Canon S100, Canon S95, Panasonic LX5, Olympus XZ-1......

Of the DSLRs on your list, the 550D stands out because it is good
    value for money. It has the same sensor as the 600D, 60D and 7D.
    I wouldn't pay the extra for a 600D unless you need the flip-out
    screen or the built-in wireless flash control.

hbr wrote: »
    If you are happy with a zoom range of 3x, a DSLR with a standard
    18-55mm lens is probably the best choice for you. There are other options.
    You might also consider some of the mirrorless cameras like the Panasonic
    and Olympus micro four thirds cameras or the Sony NEX.
    I agree that the DSLR will be the best. Other options may be better value or more features/zoom but compromise picture quality which is the most important aspect for me.
    Fiddling with settings is the fun part.
    I'll be sure to mess with the settings. Having the option of a good automatic is essential as a backup.
    Another option is
    a high quality compact camera with a larger sensor.

Canon S100, Canon S95, Panasonic LX5, Olympus XZ-1......
    A few months back I was very near to ordering the S100 as I had a relative going to the states. At the end of the day, the DSLR will win in most departments so I should bit the bullet and go for it.

The 550 sounds like the one. Big Norman get a mention a few times in this thread. I have never heard of them before but they seem safe enough. The first of the three year warranty is with Canon and if BigNorman stays afloat its another 2 years. Great prices compared to other sites and according to them, the VAT/duty is paid by them already. Or refurb on ebay for £45 less (and only 3month warranty). The same crowd had a refurb of the 600D for the same price yesterday. Maybe refurbs and ebay are a bit dodgy. BigNorman seems too good to be true too though.

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. I've been using point and shoots for years and am fed up with so many poor photos. Most of the photos I take are indoors and of my kids so I assume I need something with a decent sensor. Zoom minimum of 3 anything more a bonus. Video not important. I want something as automatic as possible as with the kids I don't have time to fiddle with settings. Is an entry dslr best like canon 1000/1100/500/550/600 or the g12. I list canon as that is the brand I've looked at.

Apart from a larger sensor, low light often requires what is termed a 'fast' lens - basically one that lets more light in allowing faster shutter speeds.

It might be worth your while looking at the Olympus XZ1 as it has a fast lens. Although it might first seem just another point and shoot - it isn't. You can check out photos taken with one: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/olympus/xz-1/

There is an upcoming camera from Olympus that I think would suit your needs, the Olympus OM-D (E-M5). This is a micro four thirds format camera with amazing capabilities while being small. The main feature of interst to you would be it's image stabilisation and very fast focus ability, which will be better than anything else on the market, including DSLRs. I don't think there will be any camera that can match it for taking rapid shots of children in low light that are sharp and un-blurred. Due for release in April for about €1200 with lens.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Apart from a larger sensor, low light often requires what is termed a 'fast' lens - basically one that lets more light in allowing faster shutter speeds.

It might be worth your while looking at the Olympus XZ1 as it has a fast lens. Although it might first seem just another point and shoot - it isn't. You can check out photos taken with one: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/olympus/xz-1/

There is an upcoming camera from Olympus that I think would suit your needs, the Olympus OM-D (E-M5). This is a micro four thirds format camera with amazing capabilities while being small. The main feature of interst to you would be it's image stabilisation and very fast focus ability, which will be better than anything else on the market, including DSLRs. I don't think there will be any camera that can match it for taking rapid shots of children in low light that are sharp and un-blurred. Due for release in April for about €1200 with lens.
    €1200 is quite a bit more than I would be willing to pay. I'll read up on the XZ1. Certainly a bit cheaper than the 550D but it doesnt come with a flash, so than would be an extra.

There is so much choice its impossible to know what to go for. I think I want a fairly safe bet, hence the DSLR persuasion. It should be good for all scenes.

• Advertisement

The XZ-1 does have an inbuilt flash.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1596518576007&id=19916c52e581b2092dfe8fad17b3580a&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.quesabesde.com%2fcamdig%2fnoticias%2fOlympus_XZ-1_analisis_20.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement