Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

cnocbui wrote: »
    The XZ-1 does have an inbuilt flash.
    [/IMG]

Ooops. Misread the description on amazon. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hey folks, Can anyone recommend a camera store in the USA that is not operating in the state of New York. I know someone in NYC and they said they can avoid sales tax if the camera is bought from a store that doesnt have a presence in the state in which its being shipped too.

Obviously this rules out BHphoto, Adorama, Amazon, Ebay etc etc.

Im looking for a Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 for Nikon

MODS: Its perfectly legal for Camera Stores not to charge sales tax if shipping outside of the state they operate in so all is above board with the post. Im not trying to avoid IRISH taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I'm looking to get a 35mm film scanner to scan some old family slides I've recently come across..

Through my research I've come across this Agfa DuoScan 100 on amazon. Good reviews etc. £94 + postage.
    amazon.co.uk

Also this unbranded one from Maplin, which i can pick up, for probably about half the price...
    maplin

As far as I can see they are cosmetically the same, and have the same spec. I'm just concerned that the maplin one might have a different/inferior sensor, or different parts...

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mercAMG

Looking for a bit of advice on buying me first DSLR. Suggestions on what brands or models are best would be greatly appreciated. Looking for something which will allow good shots in low light conditions as well as moving sports action and wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

What sort of budget have you got? Are you prepared to invest in one or two lenses? Would you consider secondhand?

Canon & Nikon are the top two SLR makers out there, but there are plenty of others that could be considered.

• Advertisement

Troxck wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an action sports camera similar to the GoPro series? I'm looking for one you can stick onto a skimboard so it will obviously need a mount and to be waterproof, any tips?

go pro the only real option really imo.

go second-hand for older non-hd version if money is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

mercAMG wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice on buying me first DSLR. Suggestions on what brands or models are best would be greatly appreciated. Looking for something which will allow good shots in low light conditions as well as moving sports action and wildlife.

there isn;t much to choose between the brands to be honest, you'll hear a lot of bullsh1t spouted in here about which is better for what, but at entry level they're all great. My advice would be to go into a few shops and try a few cameras. The only reason I went with the brand I did was that it felt "right" in my hand compared to the opposition.

That said, certain Nikon models are pretty good in low light, but these tend to be the pro or semi pro models.

You could do worse that cruise around adverts.ie and see if you can pick up a good 2nd hand camera.

Happy shooting.

H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

mercAMG wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice on buying me first DSLR. Suggestions on what brands or models are best would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at the "Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII"
    thread. You will find that this is a frequently asked question.

Any of the current DSLRs are pretty good. There isn't a lot to choose
    between them.
    Looking for something which will allow good shots in low light conditions as well as moving sports action and wildlife.

Fast action and low light are challenging subjects, even if you have
    high-end equipment. Be prepared to spend big money on lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm looking to get a 35mm film scanner

What do you guys think?

I think they are both made in the same factory in China and that they would be identical internally.

Personally, i think something like this would be a far better option:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-9600dpi-Advanced-technology-document/dp/B001TTLM6W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329935458&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

I have never been on the Photography forum before, so forgive me if yea are tired of being asked this question.

I want to buy a camera good enough to take pictures at sporting events mostly kids hurling, football and athletics.
    I have been using a small digital camera but the shutter speed is so slow, most of the time i miss the picture i want to take.

Please don't go recommending top of the range that i can't afford.

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SSS2012

Thanks for the reply. What cheap cam recorders would you recommend for doing some youtube vlogs?! I am thinking of buying both... a good SLR (400-700) and also a cam recorder for under 100. Is canon really better than Nikon?! What are easy pix HD cam recorders from xtra vision for uner 100 like?!

Stretch your budget slightly and get a Panasonic GH2, and you wont need a separate camcorder.

SSS2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. What cheap cam recorders would you recommend for doing some youtube vlogs?! I am thinking of buying both... a good SLR (400-700) and also a cam recorder for under 100. Is canon really better than Nikon?! What are easy pix HD cam recorders from xtra vision for uner 100 like?!

Most DSLR's shoot more than adequate video. In fact i would say that a D5100 or 600D would shoot better video than a €100 camcorder. And for the record. Canon is not better than Nikon and Nikon is not better than Canon. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses (which are minute btw). Both companies products are too alike to justify a lenghty debate.

However if you shoot video I would think the 600D is better than the D5100 only because it can shoot at 60fps where as the D5100 is limited to 30fps. Both shoot 1080p. If you dont need the 60fps feature then both cameras are the EXACT same in terms of video quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The D5100 doesn't allow manual exposure in video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have never been on the Photography forum before, so forgive me if yea are tired of being asked this question.

I want to buy a camera good enough to take pictures at sporting events mostly kids hurling, football and athletics.
    I have been using a small digital camera but the shutter speed is so slow, most of the time i miss the picture i want to take.

firstly .... you need to learn about photography, buying equipment is of no use unless you know what to do with it.

read a few websites, watch some youtube tutorials, maybe even buy a book or two.

For shooting sports you generally need a long lens and a steady hand and sometimes a camera with the ability to take a good number of frames(photos) per second.

(I hope that doesn't sound condescending)

yessam wrote: »

What is your budget? A top of the range camera to you might be a bottom of the range Prosumer DSLR to another person.

Hogzy wrote: »

What is your budget? A top of the range camera to you might be a bottom of the range Prosumer DSLR to another person.
    I would be hoping €400 is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Buying the missus a cam for her birthday

Not to clued into the spec, was hoping someone could point me in the right direction

Both cams are the same price toss up between a canon and a nikon
    Canon EOS 1100D 12 Megapixel Digital Camera Single Lens Kit

12 Megapixel APS-C-sized sensor
    2.7 inch 230k LCD display
    HD video capture
    ISO 200-6400
    Wide area 9-point AF system
    63-zone iFCL exposure metering
    On-screen Feature Guide
    DIGIC 4 processor

or
    Nikon D3100 14.2 Megapixel Digital Camera Single Lens Kit

14.4 Megapixel digital camera sensor
    3 inch LCD screen
    Includes an 18-55 mm lens
    Full HD 1080p movie recording
    ISO 100-3200 (Hi1: 6400, Hi2: 12800)
    11 Point AF-System
    3fps continuous shooting speed
    420-pixel RGB Sensor
    HDMI Connection with CEC
    Model: Nikon D3100

Please and thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

both are fine as starter cameras.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Talk to her first!
    Maybe put a picture of each camera into her birthday card and explain the situation, and then bring her into town to buy the one she wants.

You cannot buy an SLR for somebody else in my opinion.
    get the GF to hold both cameras, see which one fits her hands better. what if you buy the Canon, but she has a thing for Nikon o vice versa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Do you think she will be competent with a DSLR? If not then maybe something like a fuji x10/x100 or sony nex might be more down her alley

I would be hoping €400 is enough.

what do you think of the Canon EOS 1000D

I had a similar canon she got quite attached too

I'm saying its for her but really killing two birds with one birthday present....more then likley i'll be using it as much as her

thanks for the replies maybe stick to the canon if there is not that much of a difference

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with an Easy pix cam recorder? You can buy them in xtravision for under 100 euros. I was just curious to know if they are any good? And also what are the best shops in the country to look for cameras/cam recorders?!

Most DSLR's shoot more than adequate video. In fact i would say that a D5100 or 600D would shoot better video than a €100 camcorder. And for the record. Canon is not better than Nikon and Nikon is not better than Canon. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses (which are minute btw). Both companies products are too alike to justify a lenghty debate.

However if you shoot video I would think the 600D is better than the D5100 only because it can shoot at 60fps where as the D5100 is limited to 30fps. Both shoot 1080p. If you dont need the 60fps feature then both cameras are the EXACT same in terms of video quality.

What shops and websites should I look at to get a Canon 600D? I think I am going to try go with that..that or Canon550..depends on what I can afford. I have heard rumours that cameras are cheaper up north. Is this true?

What shops and websites should I look at to get a Canon 600D? I think I am going to try go with that..that or Canon550..depends on what I can afford. I have heard rumours that cameras are cheaper up north. Is this true?

A friend of mine got a display model canon for half price off ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

In Dublin
    www.berminghamcameras.ie
    www.connscameras.ie
    www.johngunn.ie
    www.hallcameras.ie
    Calumet Photographic, Belfast
    Boucher Plaza Unit 2
    4-6 Boucher Rd
    Belfast, BT12 6HR
    02890 777770
    www.adverts.ie for secondhand

Good luck with your purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new camera, just a simple point and click digital camera.
    My last one was a Nikon Coolpix and it was grand.

However, I was wondering if it is now possible to get cameras that you just plug in to charge them? A bit like we do with mobile phones.

Are the days of pulling out the batteries, sticking them into a separate unit, and plugging that in, behind us?

Thanks,

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Tomhoganie

Hi

Ive never posted in this section before so excuse my ignorance if I ask stupid questions...

I have a big box of old photos/negatives that I want to make digital copies of and retouch etc.

I dont want to spend a fortune getting them done and like the idea of it being a little project to keep busy with.

I saw a reasonable one in the Epson V330. Any other ideas/recommendations on what to buy without breaking the bank? Preferably a bricks and mortar shop I could buy in?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

The v330 is probably the way to go. Canon make the 700f for a similar price which has a higher resolution spec, but reviews seem to indicate it is fiddly with slides and film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement