Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Tomhoganie

thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 thegalavanter

Hi all,

I'm on the look out for a tripod with ball head. It needs to be light, compact, but something that can extend somewhere around 140cm. The ability to pan with video would be a great extra to have, but seen as I've never done so I'm wondering if I can just grab the camera and rotate it left to right while on the ball head and still achieve good results. Hopefully this is possible without the need for a handle to do this because I've found these two beauties for a good price. What do you think? Any suggestions? Cheers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00361EC1S/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=AVWM7CHAO63TO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0049T164C/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

P.s. This is my first proper tripod so I'd rather not spend too much as I'm not sure how much I'll use it. Hopefully a lot though. My plan is to bring it with me on a few adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Unless a tripod is specifically designed for video, the chances are you won't get smooth panning. Even the slightest stiffness or shakiness shows up really badly in video. Unfortunately a good one would set you back quite a bit. There might be cheaper alternatives but I'm not very up to date on this stuff. I wouldn't risk a purchase unless you can get your hands on one and try it out, or, you have someone you trust saying "I have used this for video panning and it works very well".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Pull it by the handle with a rubber band. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Hi All, I am just wondering if someone could tell me if the Olympus E510 DSLR is a good starter camera? I would use it mainly for pics of kids initially but do want to do a Photography course in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

marley123 wrote: »
    Hi All, I am just wondering if someone could tell me if the Olympus E510 DSLR is a good starter camera? I would use it mainly for pics of kids initially but do want to do a Photography course in the near future.

If you want to photograph kids a camera is secondary. I find sweets and puppy dog help no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Thanks for that - REALLY helpful!
    thefly wrote: »
    If you want to photograph kids a camera is secondary. I find sweets and puppy dog help no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Any recommendations for an equipment bag? On the DSLR side I don't have a lot of stuff, just the camera, two lenses a few filters, extra battery. I do however want to put a camcorder (which has a few accessories) and a go pro (with accessories) into the bag, so I don't think the standard DSLR bag will suit from what I'm look at.

Are there any modular system bag? I was originally thinking of buying a front loading rucksack and some foam to make my own spaces for the equipment but if someone already making that kind of bag it may be a waste of time me doing up a bag that wouldn't be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

Hi all,

I'm on the look out for a tripod with ball head. It needs to be light, compact, but something that can extend somewhere around 140cm. The ability to pan with video would be a great extra to have, but seen as I've never done so I'm wondering if I can just grab the camera and rotate it left to right while on the ball head and still achieve good results. Hopefully this is possible without the need for a handle to do this because

I can vouch for these, superb quality for a great price.
    http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/Tripods.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19 modea2011

Hi

I am thinking of buying the Panasonic Lumix DMC GF-3 as from what i can see it seems to be the best of the compact hybrids with interchangable lens, in that price range anyway.

I'm just a little bit worried about the lack of a viewfinder...does anyone know...

if this causes problems with holding and balancing the camera while trying to set up a photo?

if there is a problem with seeing the screen properly when in bright sunlight?

Or if you have any other suggestions of a similar but better model in same price range let me know!

im very much a beginner so any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated, thanks a million

michelle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

I have the GF-1 and I love it. Really portable and takes great photos. I dont use a viewfinder with it and dont find it much of a problem. I'm used to SLR's and thought it would bother me but it doesnt.
    You can purchase an EVF for it or there are cheaper manual viewfinders out there , such as this one:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rashbre/4174356506/

modea2011 wrote: »
    Hi

I am thinking of buying the Panasonic Lumix DMC GF-3 as from what i can see it seems to be the best of the compact hybrids with interchangable lens, in that price range anyway.

I'm just a little bit worried about the lack of a viewfinder...does anyone know...

if this causes problems with holding and balancing the camera while trying to set up a photo?

if there is a problem with seeing the screen properly when in bright sunlight?

Or if you have any other suggestions of a similar but better model in same price range let me know!

im very much a beginner so any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated, thanks a million

michelle

oh cool, i didnt even know such a thing existed.

great stuff...another quick question..the Olympus PEN E-PL3 seems to be a good rival to the panasonic and has a tilty screen. do you know anything about it? and would it be a good choice either?

im bringing it to a sunny place so thats why im worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Olympus PEN line are nice cameras and pretty similar to the Panasonic so I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.
    I would say that I'm not sure I'd base the purchase of a camera on its ability to perform in strong sunlight as the main criteria though, particularily if its a once off holiday.

I'd also say that any advantage you'd get from the tilty screen would not be any greater than the advantage of using a simple manual VF .
    oh cool, i didnt even know such a thing existed.

great stuff...another quick question..the Olympus PEN E-PL3 seems to be a good rival to the panasonic and has a tilty screen. do you know anything about it? and would it be a good choice either?

im bringing it to a sunny place so thats why im worrying!

not just that, but it seems like it and the VF would the only drawbacks. itll be used for taking wildlife photos outdoors so wanted to make sure that it wouldnt be too much of a problem.

but im happy with your recommendation so i think ill go for it!

thanks a million for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Hey guys,
    hoping to get a bit of advice for an update for my dad's old point and shoot. Has a Cybershot w50 from 6/7 years ago and it seem to be giving up the ghost on him. Was never perfect but was alright for what he needed it for, shots of parties, gatherings and special occasions.

He's looking for another 'point and shoot' camera. No touchscreen, all the mod cons like facial recog and the like. Budget is anywhere between €100 - €150 but could possibly stretch to the €200 region.

What are the 'big name brands' to stay away from?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello!

Just a quick question - Sony Alpha Nex-5 for 390eur... is this a good deal?

Would this camera be recommended over the Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3 and the Olympus Pen E-PL3?

Thanks!
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭paper cut

I'm new to photography and I'm looking for a tripod to suit a Canon 600d.
    I've checked online and saw a Vivitar VPT1250 Tripod. Does anyone know if this is suitable?
    Any suggestions for a tripod and remote control?

Not looking to break the bank either if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hello!

Just a quick question - Sony Alpha Nex-5 for 390eur... is this a good deal?

Would this camera be recommended over the Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3 and the Olympus Pen E-PL3?

Thanks!
    M

That seems like a good price.

The GF3 and E-PL3 have more, better, smaller lighter lenses available to them, The Sony has a better and larger sensor with better dynamic range and lower noise. So if system portability and lens choice are most important, The Panny and Olympus are probably the better bet. If low light shooting and large size prints from shots are more important, the Sony might be better.

They are all good cameras and you wouldn't be going wrong with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 highchap

I was looking at getting a Canon 70-300 lens but when looking I see that the Tamron lens is half the price. I am a relative newcomer to photography and I know that the Tamron lens fits the Canon camera so I was thinking that the Tamron might be better value for money.

Has anyone used this lens and if so, would you recommend it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm no expert but was in the exact same position as you before. The general opinion was that the sigma 70-300 is a better lens once you get the APO version. I have the sigma and it's good. Not great at 300 though IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I have a 430EX to use with my Canon 7D and Ive put it off for too long getting and additional slave flash for taking strobist shots. I've been trying to get an up to date list of flashes that work with the wireless function of the 7D and thought it'd be worth asking if anyone here who has a 7D can recommend a reasonably priced flash that works in this way?
    I'm not sure if there are any more compact sized flashes than the 430EX that will support this functionality but if there is that would be my preferred choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

http://speedlights.net/ has a lot of in-depth reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

highchap wrote: »
    I was looking at getting a Canon 70-300 lens

Which model were you looking at? There are a few 70(ish) to 300mm lenses
    for Canon. The ones that come to mind are the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    and the more expensive 'L' version. Both are very good and probably as good
    as or better than anything else in the same price range.

The Canon 75-300mm is not a great lens. Sigma and Tamron make
    better lenses in the same price range.
    Has anyone used this lens and if so, would you recommend it?

You need to be more specific. Are you looking at the newer Tamron
    70-300mm VC or the old non-stabilised version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Im in the market for a new travel zoom camera after my Panasonic TZ5 packed it in. I thought it would be a fairly straight forward search but theres so many options and features its a bit much so i was wondering had any one recently bought a a good P+S and could recommend me one?

Back when I was buying the TZ5 it was generally accepted as the best but there doesnt appear to be one streets ahead of the rest any more.

Im looking to spend about a max of €250 and would like one that has manual features (which I think they all have now), at least 12x optical zoom, panorama if possible and obviously a good pciture and HD video. Would love time lapse but none of the good camers seem to have this as a feature.

Any recently researched and bought one that can give me advice or point me in the right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

pixbyjohn wrote: »

If that's in relation to my query then I must add that I have some of those but the 7d has the capability to trigger flashes without them but it's only certain flashes. It makes the whole strobist process far easier since you don't need extra set up, batteries, everything is set up in camera.

So if anyone with a 7d knows of a known, not too expensive flash that works with it please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Gautama wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the market for a new camera, just a simple point and click digital camera.
    My last one was a Nikon Coolpix and it was grand.

However, I was wondering if it is now possible to get cameras that you just plug in to charge them? A bit like we do with mobile phones.

Are the days of pulling out the batteries, sticking them into a separate unit, and plugging that in, behind us?

Thanks,

W.

The Samsung WB6000 you just plug in. Maybe their other models too. Interface is a bit 'not easy' though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This thread has become a bit too long and so will go to the Old Threads Home.

This will be sticky for a while & MkIII will be along shortly.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement