Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Amazon seems to have the best price right now, £590 for the 18-55 kit and £70 for a 50mm f1.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Great camera for pics and movies, don't forget to upgrade the firmware when you do get it;);) My last pics in the random photo thread were from my 600d:)

maddog wrote: »
    Great camera for pics and movies, don't forget to upgrade the firmware when you do get it;);) My last pics in the random photo thread were from my 600d:)

Magic lantern? Read a little about that... Is it much of an improvement?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

i have a lumix gf1, which i really love, have 3 lenses also, its 12megapixels, . what im wondering is if i upgrade my body to a g3 which is 16megapixels, will i notice a difference in quality??? is it worth it.

id like to upgrade by the end of next year, but it would be a pain to try and sell up and go with a different system so i was thinking just keep the lenses i have and get a 'better' body. any opinions??

should i just bite the bullet and get a 'normal' camera. the reason i went with m43rds was size and portability and the styling appealed to me.

im asking because a friend of mine has asked me to do her wedding next year and i dont want to be let down by my camera. would they even notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I don't think you will notice the difference in your photos. Maybe the extra pixels will allow you to crop a little more from your photos. Just my humble opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

Anyone any experience with the 'trepix lightweight tripod' from pixmania? I understand its cheap but I'd like to find a review and if it is usable for novice video and photography with a canon 600 until I can make a more considerable investment further down the road, or is there anything similarly priced of recommendation?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Anyone any experience with the 'trepix lightweight tripod' from pixmania? I understand its cheap but I'd like to find a review and if it is usable for novice video and photography with a canon 600 until I can make a more considerable investment further down the road, or is there anything similarly priced of recommendation?
    Thanks.

Look on 7dayshop their prices are hard to beat and their own brand tripods are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Anyone any experience with the 'trepix lightweight tripod' from pixmania?

It looks identical to some of the Hama branded tripods.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Star-Tripod-Free-Carry/dp/B0000WXD1G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I'm looking to buy a tripod for a DSLR.
    I'll be using the camera almost solely for video, so am looking for something positive in that respect.

I was hoping to pay under €150, but would go over.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a camera, only to skimp on the tripod.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

i have a lumix gf1, which i really love, have 3 lenses also, its 12megapixels, . what im wondering is if i upgrade my body to a g3 which is 16megapixels, will i notice a difference in quality??? is it worth it.

id like to upgrade by the end of next year, but it would be a pain to try and sell up and go with a different system so i was thinking just keep the lenses i have and get a 'better' body. any opinions??

should i just bite the bullet and get a 'normal' camera. the reason i went with m43rds was size and portability and the styling appealed to me.

im asking because a friend of mine has asked me to do her wedding next year and i dont want to be let down by my camera. would they even notice?

According to Snapsort the advantages of the GF3's image quality over the GF1 are pretty minor. It doesn't have a flash hotshoe either which would rule it out for any serious work.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-GF3-vs-Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-GF1

Snapsort is a great site for anyone looking to quickly compare the tech specs of two cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ellie25

Im thinking about buyin a new camera im thinkin something like a nikon d3100 or d90 .. but I dont wana spend more then €300.... lik i wana have high megapixel etc ... im not a professional or even considering it.... but i want a good camera one..... can any one help? a

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ellie25 wrote: »
    Im thinking about buyin a new camera im thinkin something like a nikon d3100 or d90 .. but I dont wana spend more then €300.... lik i wana have high megapixel etc ... im not a professional or even considering it.... but i want a good camera one..... can any one help? a

Dont think you'd get a D300 for €300, never mind a D3100?

D90 are €899 new - https://cameraexchange.ie/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_32&products_id=64&osCsid=a559f6533a8cf3146d6c5f420af35254 so doubt they have dropped to the 300e bracket just quite yet.

you can get the D3000 here for 300e but its body only, its 399 with kit lens - http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-d3000/p-018208916566pd.html

have you looked at second hand cameras on www.adverts.ie ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

kceire wrote: »
    .... D300 here for 300e but its body only, its 399 with kit lens...

The D300 is a high-end model. Were you thinking of the D3000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ellie25

HI All!!

Right Im looking to buy a new camera.... I dont want to spend more then €300 though.... I had a look at Nikon website and I like the sounds of the D3100 and D90 although I want more then 12megapixel... this is not going to be used for professional use i just want to have a good camera that I can get nice clear crisp images that I can print up and frame etc...

Im a total newbie to all of this so If you have a clue as to what to pickand maybe where il get it cheap id really appreciate it!!
    Thanks All

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

12mpx is loads! My 1D is only only 8.2 and I print up past A3 with it like!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

firstly.... the bigger the megapixel's does not mean its a better camera....I was working as a full-time professional photographer with a 4megapixel camera (only a few years ago...Canon 1D mkI)....some press photographers at the time were working on the Kodak DCS

secondly - your knowledge of photography will be what makes the picture great.

your budget doesn't really open you up to a lot of options in terms of photography kit.

Depending on your knowledge of photography you could also consider a bridge camera (a compact camera with the setting of a DSLR) - Do you really need a DSLR ?

Do you understand the relationship between aperture/shutter speeds ? do you know what difference changing the ISO makes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Does the front ring of the "Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM" lense (or without the IS) rotate when focusing ?

Just wonder about it with the graduated filter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Lads I'm looking for a sigma lens 70-300mm zoom for a Nikon D3000.Does
    anyone have any input on the sigma? I seen one in Harvey Normans €189 but can be bought cheapier on amazon etc so what are your thoughts cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

fox007 wrote: »
    anyone have any input on the sigma? I seen one in Harvey Normans €189 but can be bought cheapier on amazon etc so what are your thoughts cheers

pixmania have one here for €149,

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741934/art/sigma/70-300-mm-f4-5-6-dg-macro.html

pixmania have one here for €149,

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741934/art/sigma/70-300-mm-f4-5-6-dg-macro.html[/Quote]

Thanks Mayo Mick but I'm looking for people that use the sigma to tell me if there any good or avoid them

• Advertisement

I'm currently torn between a Nikon D5100 and Canon 600D, my concern now is that although the image quality is reported to be slightly better with the Nikon (€60 rebate available now too) the range of lenses available for it may be limited in comparison, as there is no AF motor in the body. Is this correct?

I would like to add a 50mm and a maybe 55-200 at some stage, will I end up paying more for these than the Canon equivalents because of this?

Tips and guidance appreciated. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tsukimi

Hey all,

So for a long time now I've wanted to get into producing decent video footage and now that I have the money to spend on a camera I'm looking for all the help I can get in picking an entry level camera that will take decent quality footage. The ideal standard would be that of the below video:

http://vimeo.com/13283874

I looked up the camera he used and it's quite expensive, I don't mind spending money on a camera but €900 is too much really for something that is mainly a hobby. I was wondering if someone here could possibly recommend a good entry level camera that I could get? Or failing that maybe there are good places to source second-hand cameras?

I was also wondering if anyone could help direct me to a tutorial for creating the flashing text/images effect that the photographer used extensively at the start of the above video.

Any help would be absolutely great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Folks,

A friend of mine has a D3100 and is looking to pick up a cheap 50mm for it. Can you give me an idea as to what's available. It must have autofocus.

As a Pentax user I don't have to worry so much about lens/mount compatibility. :P

Hey Folks,

A friend of mine has a D3100 and is looking to pick up a cheap 50mm for it. Can you give me an idea as to what's available. It must have autofocus.

As a Pentax user I don't have to worry so much about lens/mount compatibility. :P

I've been doing a bit of window shopping and I think this is the cheapest, open to correction though -

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f18-g.htm

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod2294.html

The 'D' is almost half the price but won't auto focus, you need the 'G' for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

fox007 wrote: »

I've used this on a Canon 350d in college, and am looking to get one for my Pentax K-x as soon as i've enough €€ saved up...

The ones we were using were the Macro version with the APO coating. To be honest I dont have a whole pile to compare them to, but I found them very good. They work very well out to a certain level of zoom (+-250mm) and the macro is fantastic. Its aslo fairly compact for a 300mm lens when stowed away.
    Been doing my own research, and it seems its hard to find a better specced lens for the money. Its also been pointed out to me that its vital to get the APO version -at a little extra cost- but I've never used the non-APO ones so have to take other peoples word on that;)

I've used this on a Canon 350d in college, and am looking to get one for my Pentax K-x as soon as i've enough €€ saved up...

The ones we were using were the Macro version with the APO coating. To be honest I dont have a whole pile to compare them to, but I found them very good. They work very well out to a certain level of zoom (+-250mm) and the macro is fantastic. Its aslo fairly compact for a 300mm lens when stowed away.
    Been doing my own research, and it seems its hard to find a better specced lens for the money. Its also been pointed out to me that its vital to get the APO version -at a little extra cost- but I've never used the non-APO ones so have to take other peoples word on that;)[/Quote]

I was in Harvey Normans yesterday and bought the apo sigma 70-300 macro for €200 reduced from €279.99.

Can't wait to get outhe weekend and put it to the test!!!

Isn't HN the most expensive place to buy camera gear?

Isn't HN the most expensive place to buy camera gear?

Sure is expensive, priced a nikon 55-300 af lens there, €438:mad: got it on pixmania.ie for €321:)

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Sure is expensive, priced a nikon 55-300 af lens there, €438:mad: got it on pixmania.ie for €321:)

...and €235 from Onestop Digital -

http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33276

I know, there is a a warranty return issue with them being HK based but for a €200 difference I'd give them a go.

• Advertisement

...and €235 from Onestop Digital -

http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33276

I know, there is a a warranty return issue with them being HK based but for a €200 difference I'd give them a go.

:mad::mad::mad:And i thought i got a good deal:mad::mad::mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement