Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

mayo.mick wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad:And i thought i got a good deal:mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, you did. €321 is a good price from a European supplier I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Heading to South America after xmas.
    Taking in some spectacular sights - Machu Pichu and Galapagos Islands.

I'm looking for a good camera for the trip.
    Any recommendations???

I don't want anything to bulky/heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Misstaken

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. So much choice out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

are you just looking for a point and shoot (small camera) ?
    canon powershots are great little cameras. there's so many different models though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Hi all, I have a 450D which I use and love a lot but don't like carrying it around in the boot of the car all the time for various reasons!
    I'm thinking of buying a second hand Canon S3 just to leave in the glovebox/boot.

http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon/998947

They seem decent enough but I've read somewhere that they're a savage on batteries (4x AA's I think), not just the Canon but bridgers in general.

Any thoughts or opinions welcome!

• Advertisement

Heading to South America after xmas.
    Taking in some spectacular sights - Machu Pichu and Galapagos Islands.

I'm looking for a good camera for the trip.
    Any recommendations???

I don't want anything to bulky/heavy

Micro 4/3's type camera gives good photo quality through large-sized sensor in small body. something like the gf2 is pretty small

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgf2/page2.asp

get it here for €490 with 2 lens.

if you don't have that amount of money and want real pocket-size but decent pic quality go for a canon s95.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11468&setcurrency=eur

it's small, has a nice fast lens (good in low light), reasonable zoom and will fit in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Isn't SimplyElectronics known to be fairly dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

I currently use a bridge, Finepix s6500fd, actually upgrading tomorow to an DSLR :D. Depends on the batteries really, Duracell ones will die in no time, I use rechargeable 1300mAh and there fine, ofcourse you could go bigger with the mAh so they last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Hi there,

Am looking for some recommendations on which DSLR to buy, I will be using it for Equestrian Photography and have a budget of up to 1k, any suggestions please!

thanks in advance.

Lou

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

missloulou wrote: »
    Hi there,

Am looking for some recommendations on which DSLR to buy, I will be using it for Equestrian Photography and have a budget of up to 1k, any suggestions please!

thanks in advance.

Lou

The DSLR isn't the main factor you should be considering. The question you should be asking is;

"Which lens would be best for ..... ?"

You then buy that lens with a compatible body.

Tell us more about what you mean by "Equestrian Photography"? (I have a feeling that your budget is likely to be on the low side)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

thanks for the response.

By equestrian photography I mean showjumping and cross country, so some decent action shots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a 450D which I use and love a lot but don't like carrying it around in the boot of the car all the time for various reasons!
    I'm thinking of buying a second hand Canon S3 just to leave in the glovebox/boot.

They seem decent enough but I've read somewhere that they're a savage on batteries (4x AA's I think), not just the Canon but bridgers in general.

They can be. It also depends on the quality of the batteries you buy. The Enloop batteries come highly recommended, but I have not tried them personally. Buy enough for a couple of changes and a charger which will work in the car.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Andrew33 wrote: »

They can be. It also depends on the quality of the batteries you buy. The Enloop batteries come highly recommended, but I have not tried them personally. Buy enough for a couple of changes and a charger which will work in the car.

Eneloops are fantastic, I had them in my Pentax K-X, they don't lose charge when sitting and last for ages in use.

Buceph wrote: »

how are they dodgy? no they are not. they are based in HK but all taxes are paid so you will not be hit by customs for a surcharge.
    they offer 1 year warranty which is all that you will get from anywhere. there have been some issues with people's expectations for postage times - it can take a week to 10 days. don't see how they are dodgy exactly...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

glasso wrote: »
    how are they dodgy? no they are not. they are based in HK but all taxes are paid so you will not be hit by customs for a surcharge.
    they offer 1 year warranty which is all that you will get from anywhere. there have been some issues with people's expectations for postage times - it can take a week to 10 days. don't see how they are dodgy exactly...?

I've read alot more bad comments on SE compared to good comments. I nearly went with them myself to save a bit of money but decided not to, thankfully found a good price on ebay.

samhail wrote: »
    I've read alot more bad comments on SE compared to good comments. I nearly went with them myself to save a bit of money but decided not to, thankfully found a good price on ebay.

Going on this thread http://www.photographyireland.net/fake-canon-bodies-alert-t46891.html

And a couple more I've seen.

You can't deny there are a lot of reports from unhappy customers. The warranty they offer is their own, under their terms, and not on a par with a manufacturer warranty.

Going on this thread http://www.photographyireland.net/fake-canon-bodies-alert-t46891.html

And a couple more I've seen.

fair enough. did a bit of investigation - some bad reports but more so in the past than this year. find it hard to believe that a canon 7d can be faked...?!

fair enough. did a bit of investigation - some bad reports but more so in the past than this year. find it hard to believe that a canon 7d can be faked...?!

I read an (academic) article about there being fake cars, Porches and Ferraris coming out of China. They can fake anything. Even non-trivial stuff like the easy: drugs, to the hard: medical equipment like X-Ray machines and stuff.

I read an (academic) article about there being fake cars, Porches and Ferraris coming out of China. They can fake anything. Even non-trivial stuff like the easy: drugs, to the hard: medical equipment like X-Ray machines and stuff.

Fake Apple stores pop up all over China, completely stocked, and staffed by fake Apple employees. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

heres my experience with them from 2 weeks ago!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056388174

highly Recommend them.

There's not much to back up that tale of the fake 7D.

'Pics or it didn't happen'. :D

kceire wrote: »
    heres my experience with them from 2 weeks ago!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056388174

highly Recommend them.

Fair enough. I was just going on what I've read, so the more info I get the better.

My aul fella bought his Canon SLR (film, entry level thing) back in Singapore about 15 years ago, and we've had no hassle with it (we even got a global warranty with it.) I'm just wary when buying from outside the EU zone when it's not with a big, well known company.

Glad you're happy with the camera! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Fair enough. I was just going on what I've read, so the more info I get the better.

My aul fella bought his Canon SLR (film, entry level thing) back in Singapore about 15 years ago, and we've had no hassle with it (we even got a global warranty with it.) I'm just wary when buying from outside the EU zone when it's not with a big, well known company.

Glad you're happy with the camera! :)

agh yeah, you have to do your research!
    SE are a big company, its simply the usual, "you only hear the bad stories".

When i received my camera i emailed them back thanking them for the ease of purchase and how quick i got it. the girl replied stating that they know they get alot of flack but its mainly due to delivery times adn imo, the cost saving out weighs waiting an extra few days to get it.

but as per my thread, i paid with paypal to speed up the process and to give me extra security.

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.simplyelectronics.net

simplyelectronics have been around for years - they wouldn't be still around and getting customers if they were a scam tbh - the market would have weeded that out by now. 7d story may be a case of an irish shop trying to make them sound disreputable as they just can't compete with the prices.....

the fake ferraris and porsches that yer man was on about are just crap fibreglass attempts.
    the reverse engineering to copy a 7d wouldn't be worth it for the unit sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

kceire wrote: »

Be careful where you get your reviews. Trustpilot is not an independent site.
    http://www.resellerratings.com will give a more accurate picture.

At the moment, SE have a 0/10 rating, which is as bad as it gets.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SimplyElectronics

the main issue with them seems to be around stock levels - if something is actually in stock or not -> that the website may say that it's in stock when it's actually not. this may lead to longer wait times and people wishing to cancel. if you confirmed this by phone or e-mail in advance that issue may be avoided. can't argue with the prices though...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BMF Plint

Hi guys im thinking of taking up photography as a hobby but dont have a bulls notion about camera's if you could help me out it would be much appreciated.. Oh yeah and around €600 would be my max...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

They are all pretty good, actually! My 3 tips would be:

- Think a bit about what kind of photos you want to take, or what kind of circumstances you will likely to be in. ie for indoors a decent flash will be helpful, whereas if you will be mainly outdoors then you probably won't need a flash to start with, you might find a telephoto zoom to be more useful...

- consider buying a second-hand camera. You will generally get more bang for your buck.

- Brandwise, Canon or Nikon are a good bet, because if you ever decide it isnt for you, you will find the gear easier to sell than other brands that have a smaller market share.

Good luck !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement