Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories MkII. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

anyone have one of these?

considering picking one up in the new year, would love a leica m9 but will never be able to afford one at the rate i'm going! liking the look of the x100 though!

Do you know that there's a Fuji X10; that's the one I'd be more interested in. Zoom and cheaper less expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oliverguy

Anyone got any advice as to what lens would be good for a canon 1000D EOS camera?I would like one that would zoom in and give detail from a distance.Am probably not being very clear-novice I'm afraid!Anyone recommend a good American website for lenses?Heard they are a fraction of the price here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Do you already have a lens with the camera ? Maybe you have an 18 to 55 mm.
    There is a 70 to 300 mm lens suitable for your camera. Have a look on www.adverts.ie as there are lots of secondhand lens for sale there.
    I hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

depends on what you want to do with the lens !

when you say a distance are you talking about people on a football pitch ? in the daytime or night-time ?

I would suggest since you are just starting off ...try to find a decent secondhand 75-300mm lens.

As for the American site .... some of the people here recommend "Kerso" on Ebay (Have no idea on his real name or Ebay name - I'm sure someone will be along to help me out)

lenses are cheaper in America - but you risk and will more than likely be caught for import tax/VAT if you purchase outside of the EU, be very careful with this as it will bring the price up substantially.

I also suggest you read some books or watch some tutorials and if you get a chance goto some of the photowalks and meet people from here - this will allow you to learn from others and make some photo buddies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi name is Ian - kerso1123@msn.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I have an 1100D, first two lenses I bought were the nifty fifty canon 50mm f1.8 and a sigma 70-300mm. Both are cheap and cheerful

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

oliverguy wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice as to what lens would be good for a canon 1000D EOS camera?I would like one that would zoom in and give detail from a distance.Am probably not being very clear-novice I'm afraid!

Buy a cheap secondhand nifty fifty (50mm f1.8) and "zoom" with your feet. In other words, walk up to your subject and take the shot rather than trying to shoot from 100 yards away.

The nifty is tack sharp and you will make better pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oliverguy

Thanks,it's actually a surprise present for my hubby hence my ignorance.I think 'people on a pitch' would suffice for definition!How much do you think this would cost?I have a friend in the States who could post it over for me.Wasn't planning on spending much more than 300,hubby just uses camera as a pastime and for photos of the children.Thanks...

oliverguy wrote: »
    Thanks,it's actually a surprise present for my hubby hence my ignorance.I think 'people on a pitch' would suffice for definition!How much do you think this would cost?I have a friend in the States who could post it over for me.Wasn't planning on spending much more than 300,hubby just uses camera as a pastime and for photos of the children.Thanks...

Canon 50mm F1.8 is :

€129 in Camera Exchange On Georges Street.
    €129 in Conns Cameras Just Off Graffton Street.
    €122 in Argos, Nation Wide or online.
    €96 With a Hoya Filter in online at Simply Electronics (but some wont want to wait for delivery etc)

Reason i know, is i was pricing around before i ordered mine last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

A 50mm won't be much use on the side of a pitch though... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Anything 200mm focal length and up on a crop body would work well for football games if you're on the sidelines I'd imagine

Liek dees

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Hi all,
    Saw this in Argos for €144, I think,is it good value, I am only interested in normal family every shots.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

In the market for a DSLR but really don't know which camera to get. Currently living in austria and can pick up a nikon d3100 new with a 18-55mm lens for 460 euro. It seems to be slightly ahead of the canon 1100d at the moment.

I've also been looking at second hand cameras and there is a d90 with a 16-85mm lens for around 500.

It is purely a hobby camera, for taking pictures of landscapes when hiking and some indoor shots of live gigs etc. So I will be buying a prime lens as well.

I've owned superzooms in the past but was always annoyed that I didnt spend the extra few quid and get an SLR.

Any advice would be appreciated.

plonk wrote: »
    In the market for a DSLR but really don't know which camera to get. Currently living in austria and can pick up a nikon d3100 new with a 18-55mm lens for 460 euro. It seems to be slightly ahead of the canon 1100d at the moment.

I've also been looking at second hand cameras and there is a d90 with a 16-85mm lens for around 500.

It is purely a hobby camera, for taking pictures of landscapes when hiking and some indoor shots of live gigs etc. So I will be buying a prime lens as well.

I've owned superzooms in the past but was always annoyed that I didnt spend the extra few quid and get an SLR.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would say :
    kceire wrote: »
    OP, i only bought my first DSLR 2 weeks ago. Bought a Canon 550D from Simply Electronics.

I would highly recommend going into the shops in town or whereever you choose and get a grip of all the cameras. I personally ruled out the Nikon straight away due to grip issues as my thumb was constantly rubbing along the jog wheel and the set button, whereby the canon was perfect and it sat in my hand much better. These are things you cant check see from online videos or comparisons websites.

I personally choose Nikon V Canon but the brand choice is up to you, try them all i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

OP, i only bought my first DSLR 2 weeks ago. Bought a Canon 550D from Simply Electronics.

I would highly recommend going into the shops in town or whereever you choose and get a grip of all the cameras. I personally ruled out the Nikon straight away due to grip issues as my thumb was constantly rubbing along the jog wheel and the set button, whereby the canon was perfect and it sat in my hand much better. These are things you cant check see from online videos or comparisons websites.

I personally choose Nikon V Canon but the brand choice is up to you, try them all i say!

The only slr I have used extensively is the eos1000d which was a mates when travelling. Been to the shops and really like the d3100, fits in the hand lovely, nice and light, seems to tick all the boxes.

Then I think why not get the d90 2nd hand, more options on lenses etc. Can only afford 500 this month so don't want to go much above it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 StephenVB

I'm 17 and always had an interest in photography so I've decided now is the time to get involved myself. So I'm just looking for some ideas on cameras for a starter, film, slr whatever.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I was going to make a thread about getting a camera until i read this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055243345

I was going to make a thread about getting a camera until i read this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055243345

I read that already, it was a bit too vague, i was just hoping someone with the knowledge could recommend something.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

Hi All

The misses is interested in taking up photography as a hobby so I've decided to spend no more than €1k on a camera for her as a Christmas present, in fairness to her she will go off and do night courses etc.

At the beginning she will most likely take a lot of portraits of our 2 kids.

I've been researching online and a lot of websites basically recommend the same models. What for the amount of money I'm willing to spend is considered worth buying.

As for computing side I'm a big mac fan and the software we need I can pick up from some buddies. Suppose like the mac I only want the camera to be 2 things

1. Simple
    2. To work.... All the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

StephenVB wrote: »
    I read that already, it was a bit too vague, i was just hoping someone with the knowledge could recommend something.

But equally you haven't given much to go on in what you want out of a camera. Lot of people on here shot film and it has it's advantages but it is more work, do a quick search on the film v digital and you will find plenty of articles. Again on what type of camera, are you happy to have a camera that has to hang round your neck or stay in a bag, or would you prefer one that goes in your pocket. What is it you want to shoot? Landscape, street, portraits, music gigs, sport..... the list goes on and depending what you want to shoot will determine what you want out of your camera.
    Do you currently own a camera and if so what is it that restricts/annoys you? There is no right answer for what camera should I get, it depends on your needs, so you need to have a think about it and then you can ask better questions that will narrow down your choice. .

• Advertisement

Do you want to buy brand new or second hand?
    Would you rarther buy in a shop in Ireland or online?

What is your budget roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

this might be slightly out of date but not bad to look at.

Same advice as most say:
    feel the cameras in a shop, some cameras feel right in your hands. Some don't like the plasticky feel of some Canon models, some love them.

Why not buy 2nd hand I say. Get a lot more bang for your buck then.

Look beyond just Canon and Nikon. The Pentax K-X gets great reviews (I had one). Just bear in mind there's not as many Pentax owners so if you're looking to swap, borrow, buy lens I always do online for Pentax. For C and N you can pick up a lot through adverts.ie and meet the person, try lens out etc.

alfalad wrote: »
    But equally you haven't given much to go on in what you want out of a camera. Lot of people on here shot film and it has it's advantages but it is more work, do a quick search on the film v digital and you will find plenty of articles. Again on what type of camera, are you happy to have a camera that has to hang round your neck or stay in a bag, or would you prefer one that goes in your pocket. What is it you want to shoot? Landscape, street, portraits, music gigs, sport..... the list goes on and depending what you want to shoot will determine what you want out of your camera.
    Do you currently own a camera and if so what is it that restricts/annoys you? There is no right answer for what camera should I get, it depends on your needs, so you need to have a think about it and then you can ask better questions that will narrow down your choice. .

I probably dove a in a bit too fast there, I'll do some research and come back with some more specific questions. Nice one for the reply though pal.

Do you want to buy brand new or second hand?
    Would you rarther buy in a shop in Ireland or online?

What is your budget roughly?

I wouldn't mind buying new or second hand but considering I have a budget of just under €300 I'd probably be better off going for second hand, I'd imagine i could get a better camera for a cheaper price that way.
    I'd rather buy in Ireland and keep things simple but if there are websites that offer good prices etc. there would be nothing stopping me from buying from them.

I wouldn't mind buying new or second hand but considering I have a budget of just under €300 I'd probably be better off going for second hand, I'd imagine i could get a better camera for a cheaper price that way.
    I'd rather buy in Ireland and keep things simple but if there are websites that offer good prices etc. there would be nothing stopping me from buying from them.

Based on that, i would be watching www.adverts.ie and get one from there.
    You wont really get one online tbh, i wouldnt buy from ebay but thats my opinion, i buy alot from there, but not a DSLR, although some would say im mad for trusting Simply Electronics over ebay :D

Have you any preferance to brand?
    • Canon
    • Nikon
    • Sony
    • Pentax
    • Olympus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Im looking to get a DSLR and have narrowed my choice down more or less to a Nikon D3000 or D3100 ... Argos seem to have great deals on these, €405 and €489.
    I know most entry level DSLR come with and 18-55 lens but Ive been advised to look for a better lense. What advice can folk give me regarding a lense suitable for landscape/sports pics on a smallish budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The Nikon kit lens is actually pretty good, I think it was just the old Canon job that had a bad rep. I'd use it for a while before shopping for something else more suited to your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Thinking about an upgrade to a Nikon d40. Main things I find lacking are low light abilities and no af motor. Video capabilities and a bump in resolution would be nice. Any recommended next step up?

TPD wrote: »
    Thinking about an upgrade to a Nikon d40. Main things I find lacking are low light abilities and no af motor. Video capabilities and a bump in resolution would be nice. Any recommended next step up?

nikon 5100
    canon 600d

or moving up a class...

nikon d7000
    canon 60d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

glasso wrote: »
    nikon 5100
    canon 600d

or moving up a class...

nikon d7000
    canon 60d

Gonna start putting coins in the piggybank for the d5100 I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement