Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Slamming Doors

• 24-09-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I've just moved into an apartment block and all the bedroom doors slam shut by themselves really loudly. Does anyone know how I could stop this noise - silencers or something and where to get them? Driving me insane at night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Close by themselves, do they have one of these door closers fitted or even a spring fitted inside the door?

The springs will slam the door shut, as will some cheap or badly fitted door closers.
    More expensive door closers often come with an adjustment screw (backcheck adjustment) which you can fiddle with to soften the impact.

You could fit a foam strip around the frame but it will only get compacted after a while and you're back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If there are door closers, post a picture. There are usually adjusting screws on one end or behind a sliding cover. (not talking about the adjustment on the arm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You could try the soft closers designed for drawers in fitted kitchens... You just drill a hole and set them in... Saw this done once and it works a treat..

Think you can get them in B & Q

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually gone home for the weekend so can't really describe the hinges or if theres closers, I'll post a description/picture tomorrow. If theres nothing I can do with the hinges/closers themselves I was thinking more along the lines of self adhesive rubber silencers or something if theres such a thing, can't really screw anything into the doors as I'm only renting. Thanks for the replies and if you can think of anything else, let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually gone home for the weekend so can't really describe the hinges or if theres closers, I'll post a description/picture tomorrow. If theres nothing I can do with the hinges/closers themselves I was thinking more along the lines of self adhesive rubber silencers or something if theres such a thing, can't really screw anything into the doors as I'm only renting. Thanks for the replies and if you can think of anything else, let me know.

Of course you can, as long as it's done properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

You could just stick some Draft excluder in the door frame to "cushion" the door as it closes.
    Cheap and easy and no damage to the doors can be claimed by your landlord.

Advertisement