Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC problems Kildare (Newbridge)

• 24-09-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Anyone else having problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

johnnymc7 wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems?
    What exact problem you mean Johnny is it speed issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 strife4life

Yeah i`m from Newbridge. Problems getting on any website to do with google, other sites work fine. I rang them and they said there is alot of people calling in and they are working on it etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

getting 200 m/s pings and sub 512k speeds on a 50 meg line youtube wont work and neither will google in cork city

Upc have really have an unacceptable amount of performance issues lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah having problems in Cork too, most websites weren't accessible or pingable but IM worked fine etc. Probably a routing issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Damien360

In Newbridge also. There was a outage from 10.30am to about 3pm on Wednesday. Since that it has been very odd.

Speedtest results show good pings and download/upload. My PS3 is downloading it's update reasonably quick but on every PC, google services are very poor. Often the page hangs on reader or jumping between gmail and web.

All in all, it points to google problem rather than UPC but the timing is making me wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

im getting similar problems in Clondalkin had to reload this page 3 times just to get on it. It seems intermittent enough but really annoying. Pages that do work are great and Last speed test was 23 Mbs on a 25 Mb account, so Im happy enough with that. its just some pages are terribly slow to load not just google in my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Gmail has been taking ages to load for me since Friday night,am in Clondalkin and everything else is fine,speedtest shows 46mbs on a 50 mbs line,must just be a problem with UPC connecting to Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sounds more like a DNS issue, as I've had no problems on UPC in Cork, but I don't use their DNS servers.

Try changing your DNS to something bigger than UPC

e.g. Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Configuration instructions for Mac OS X and Windows.

Not sure that u can change it on UPC's routers.

Solair wrote: »
    Sounds more like a DNS issue, as I've had no problems on UPC in Cork, but I don't use their DNS servers.

Try changing your DNS to something bigger than UPC

e.g. Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Configuration instructions for Mac OS X and Windows.

Not sure that u can change it on UPC's routers.

Nah, I was having issues on multiple machines and they were all set to Google's DNS servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's just odd that I was totally unaffected then.

What sites were not working?

Are you on the EuroDOCSIS 3.0 (50Mbit/s+) Thomson/Technicolor router?
    Or, the older system?

I'm just wondering if the routing could be different on the EuroDOCSIS 3.0 network as they could quite possibly have two head ends.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    It's just odd that I was totally unaffected then.

What sites were not working?

www.irishtimes.com
    www.just-eat.ie

didn't work

www.boards.ie

worked

Was weird. Am on the older Cisco router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Gmail has been taking ages to load for me since Friday night,am in Clondalkin and everything else is fine,speedtest shows 46mbs on a 50 mbs line,must just be a problem with UPC connecting to Google.
    Same here all is fine, except gmail is a tad slower than usual to load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Damien360

I found plenty of sites working fine but any site with a search engine powered by google was awful to load, if it loaded at all. All seems to be back to normal today.

Advertisement