Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My test route in finglas for E+C

• 24-09-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

This is the test route i was given, it might help someone out.
    Started in the rsa compound of Jamestown business park,turning left onto the Jamestown road drove up to the roundabout and took the first left towards St. Margarets road,when we got there we took the right up to the Lanesborough roundabout took the first exit and went onto the roundabout at pass if you can (that's what it's called on the map) we took the third exit which brings you down at the back of the airport.

When we got to the T junction we took the right, and then onto the roundabout and took the second exit onto the Naul road. When we reached the Cloghran roundabout we took the third exit, we went onto the airport roundabout and took the second exit, then continued on straight until we passed in under the M50 bridge, we then turned left into the airways industrial eststate which we did a circle of and back out onto the swords road and turned right. We went up to Collinstown cross and turned left. We went up to the four cross roads and turned right.

We continued straight up to the T junction and turned left, this is where i go a grade 2 fault for position. I stayed out to the white line in order to give myself a better view of the road i was turning onto. The examiner said i should have stayed closer to the left. We went back down to the Lanesborough roundabout and took the third exit onto the St Margarets road, then took the left towards Poppintree, went upto the roundabout and took the 3rd exit onto the Jamestown road, this is where i got my 2nd grade 2 for progress at roundabouts. We continued on down the Jamestown road and took the right turn into the Jamestown business park and back into the compound.

There are plenty of other routes but that will give you an idea of the time and distance and some others might post up their routes.

Ps.I used osi Dublin street guide for names of roads and roundabouts so sorry if any are incorrect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 the little trucker

can I take it that you passed your test, Well done if you did, it is a great achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

can I take it that you passed your test, Well done if you did, it is a great achievement
    Passed:D with only 2 grade 2 faults which are in the post above and thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Grimpeur

Well done Timogen on getting the E+C.

I did the tests for rigid and artic last year in Finglas and passed both luckily enough.
    Can't remember the route for the rigid but I'd say it was similar to the route you've posted for your artic test.

Anyway, here's the route for my artic test:

Start from RSA compound.
    Turn right onto Jamestown Road.
    Left onto Clune Road.
    Left onto Ballygall Road West.
    Straight through roundabout (2nd exit) onto Glasnevin Avenue.
    Cross Ballymun Road, straight onto Collins Avenue Extension.
    Turn Right onto Swords Road (heading towards city).
    Right turn onto Griffith Avenue.
    Just after junction with Ballymun Road, pulled over to the left for a hill start.
    Straight then all the way till left turn onto Ballygall Road East.
    Right turn onto Old Finglas Road.
    Left turn onto Finglas Road (dual carriageway) heading south.
    Right turn onto Slaney Road.
    Right onto Barrow Road.
    Left onto Lagan Road.
    Right at junction with Broombridge Road.
    Left at junction with Ballyboggan Road.
    Right at junction with Ratoath Road (fairly tight in the artic).
    Right onto Tolka Valley Road.
    Left onto Cardiffsbridge Road.
    Straight on at mini roundabout (1st exit)
    (This was the most difficult manoeuvre in my artic. test, extremely tight).
    Follow Cardiffsbridge Road till it becomes Mellowes Road.
    Straight through roundabout (2nd exit).
    Left at slip road to take you onto Finglas Road, (dual carriageway) heading north.
    Right at roundabout (3rd exit) onto St. Margaret's Road.
    Straight through roundabout (1st exit).
    Right at junction at 'Charlestown' shopping centre onto St. Margaret's Road???
    Right at roundabout (3rd exit) onto Jamestown Road.
    Right turn into Jamestown Business Park and return to RSA compound.
    Reverse round bend (nearside).

Might be of help to someone with the test coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Grimpeur wrote: »
    Well done Timogen on getting the E+C.

I did the tests for rigid and artic last year in Finglas and passed both luckily enough.
    Can't remember the route for the rigid but I'd say it was similar to the route you've posted for your artic test.

Anyway, here's the route for my artic test:

Start from RSA compound.
    Turn right onto Jamestown Road.
    Left onto Clune Road.
    Left onto Ballygall Road West.
    Straight through roundabout (2nd exit) onto Glasnevin Avenue.
    Cross Ballymun Road, straight onto Collins Avenue Extension.
    Turn Right onto Swords Road (heading towards city).
    Right turn onto Griffith Avenue.
    Just after junction with Ballymun Road, pulled over to the left for a hill start.
    Straight then all the way till left turn onto Ballygall Road East.
    Right turn onto Old Finglas Road.
    Left turn onto Finglas Road (dual carriageway) heading south.
    Right turn onto Slaney Road.
    Right onto Barrow Road.
    Left onto Lagan Road.
    Right at junction with Broombridge Road.
    Left at junction with Ballyboggan Road.
    Right at junction with Ratoath Road (fairly tight in the artic).
    Right onto Tolka Valley Road.
    Left onto Cardiffsbridge Road.
    Straight on at mini roundabout (1st exit)
    (This was the most difficult manoeuvre in my artic. test, extremely tight).
    Follow Cardiffsbridge Road till it becomes Mellowes Road.
    Straight through roundabout (2nd exit).
    Left at slip road to take you onto Finglas Road, (dual carriageway) heading north.
    Right at roundabout (3rd exit) onto St. Margaret's Road.
    Straight through roundabout (1st exit).
    Right at junction at 'Charlestown' shopping centre onto St. Margaret's Road???
    Right at roundabout (3rd exit) onto Jamestown Road.
    Right turn into Jamestown Business Park and return to RSA compound.
    Reverse round bend (nearside).

Might be of help to someone with the test coming up.

Bloody hell you've the memory of an elephant!! I can't remember what I ate for breakfast!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Grimpeur

Did a Google Maps list of the route the day after I passed in case I ever decide to do the D licence ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I never wrote down what route we took after, and have since forgotten most of it. But if you are ready you will pass no matter the route. Half of mine I was familiar with, but hardest part of the route I had never drove before and still passed it first time. Only had one grade 2 for the whole route, and then messed up the reverse at the last minute and got a second. Much rather reverse into a bay, or in an industrial estate then that little make up they have in the testing yard.

That turn left out airways is tight iirc, you nearly have to take the set of lights out to get through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just wondering lads if the Dublin city centre truck ban applies to test/driving school trucks?

The reason I ask is that when I did the E+C test (Jamestown Road) a lot of the route was nearer the city centre e.g. Dorset Street, Clonliffe Road, North Circular Road, Richmond Road etc.

Just wondering lads if the Dublin city centre truck ban applies to test/driving school trucks?

The reason I ask is that when I did the E+C test (Jamestown Road) a lot of the route was nearer the city centre e.g. Dorset Street, Clonliffe Road, North Circular Road, Richmond Road etc.

When I was taking truck lessons we drove through Phibsboro, Dorest Street, Dame Street etc... Never had any problems with the guards :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The ban on trucks within the city center apply to trucks with 5 axels or more I take it the driving schools use a tamdem trailer,As for routes mine back in the 90s was out the Jamestown road upto the roundabout 2nd exit heading towards Ballymun, down santry lane accross the flyover down through clonshaugh/oscar traynor rd through the cross rd at the malahide road into Killbarrak ind est for the reversing, Turning right out of the estate heading towards the fire station took a left heading towards Raheny then up through Artane into the back of santry,back through Ballymun then into the test center.
    One of the other routes we use to practise was down through the ballymun rd onto mobhi rd heading towards Glasnevin onto phisboro shopping center were you turned right at the lights heading towards cabra,left at the roundabout heading onto quarry rd then a right at the lights onto the new cabra rd.
    This is were it could get a little tricky as you had to turn left heading onto the old cabra rd (it's like a u turn bend an absolute cnut if doing it the first time) after that it was down Prussia st/Manor st before turning left onto Brunswick st,once on Brunswick st you took a right at the lights onto Church st then a left onto Boltan st before heading up through dorset st then left at the bridge onto whitworth rd then a right at the lights heading back onto the Fingals rd.
    And back in them days there was no M50 completed or other new roads we take for granted these days Dublin to Cork you went through every town that is now by passed,Kinnegad being one of the worst bottle necks.

The ban on trucks within the city center apply to trucks with 5 axels or more I take it the driving schools use a tamdem trailer,As for routes mine back in the 90s was out the Jamestown road upto the roundabout 2nd exit heading towards Ballymun, down santry lane accross the flyover down through clonshaugh/oscar traynor rd through the cross rd at the malahide road into Killbarrak ind est for the reversing, Turning right out of the estate heading towards the fire station took a left heading towards Raheny then up through Artane into the back of santry,back through Ballymun then into the test center.
    One of the other routes we use to practise was down through the ballymun rd onto mobhi rd heading towards Glasnevin onto phisboro shopping center were you turned right at the lights heading towards cabra,left at the roundabout heading onto quarry rd then a right at the lights onto the new cabra rd.
    This is were it could get a little tricky as you had to turn left heading onto the old cabra rd (it's like a u turn bend an absolute cnut if doing it the first time) after that it was down Prussia st/Manor st before turning left onto Brunswick st,once on Brunswick st you took a right at the lights onto Church st then a left onto Boltan st before heading up through dorset st then left at the bridge onto whitworth rd then a right at the lights heading back onto the Fingals rd.
    And back in them days there was no M50 completed or other new roads we take for granted these days Dublin to Cork you went through every town that is now by passed,Kinnegad being one of the worst bottle necks.

Welcome back Donkey, thought you were in Donkey heaven! Good to see you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Ah you know yourself Faith I'm a busy man these days.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 the little trucker

Faith+1 wrote: »
    When I was taking truck lessons we drove through Phibsboro, Dorest Street, Dame Street etc... Never had any problems with the guards :confused:

Hi Faith+1, you came to me for your Rigid lessons, the art of block changing. How you keeping? did you go for the artic since.

Hi Faith+1, you came to me for your Rigid lessons, the art of block changing. How you keeping? did you go for the artic since.

Jasus the dead has arisen! Not a bother on me, still surviving! Driven a few Rigids on/off over the last year just to keep myself in check. Drove to Cork and back a few months ago as a favour for my mate and loved every minute. Even bought a check shirt and matching cap to boot!

I swear the town planners in this Country never imagined that 32t trucks would be driven through them one day! The test never prepares you for the cr*p I've encountered on these roads!

Was gonna go for the Artic but never got round to it, have the Learner permit somewhere. What happened to you? Noticed your website is non existant? Sell the Business? (Please don't mention names or site as per Boards rules!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HilltopViewer

Heya,I just want to find out off someone like yourself in the know,about driving test routes for the D licence.I booked the test for RSA in Jamestown Industrial Estate.I am just looking for an idea on routes and would they be similar routes to the ones you mentioned earlier?Thanks!

Advertisement