Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong price in Tesco

Options
  • 24-09-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Was in Tesco Gorey earlier and spotted frying pans reduced from €26 to €6.50. At checkout they scanned at €26. Asked for it to be checked and guy came back and said it must have been a mistake. I didn't buy at that price and left it at that.

Then..I started thinking, that was the advertised price, was I entitled to it?
    What do you all think?
    If in wrong forum please move.

MrSausage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

MrSausage wrote: »
    Was in Tesco Gorey earlier and spotted frying pans reduced from €26 to €6.50. At checkout they scanned at €26. Asked for it to be checked and guy came back and said it must have been a mistake. I didn't buy at that price andwoyld left it at that.

What do you all think?

MrSausage

No you were not entitled to it, but if you paid the 26 and went to the customer desk u would have been entitled to double the difference back so you would have got 19.50x2 =39

Hope thats right unless iv got there policy wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Maybe should be in the consumer issues forum?

If they advertised it at that price, it would not mean they would have to sell it at that price. However, if you had paid for it and then shown the agent at the customer service the error, you could have been given the difference back as far as i'm aware as Tesco have a policy in relation to mispricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MrSausage

matchthis wrote: »
    Maybe should be in the consumer issues forum?

If they advertised it at that price, it would not mean they would have to sell it at that price. However, if you had paid for it and then shown the agent at the customer service the error, you could have been given the difference back as far as i'm aware as Tesco have a policy in relation to mispricing.

Thanks Guys,
    I didn't pay for it unfortunatly! Not a problem though. Was just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

MrSausage wrote: »
    Was in Tesco Gorey earlier and spotted frying pans reduced from €26 to €6.50. At checkout they scanned at €26. Asked for it to be checked and guy came back and said it must have been a mistake. I didn't buy at that price and left it at that.

What do you all think?

MrSausage

In a nutshell, no but as posters above have said it may be Tesco policy to double the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Thought it was they give you the item and how much you paid for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Thought it was they give you the item and how much you paid for it :)

The "No quibble money back guarantee" ended in May 2011. Now they refund you double the difference... "in the unlikley event that you have been overcharged..." - Ha! that's a joke if ever I heard one!

It's more LIKELY than UNLIKELY.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

The rule of thumb is ALWAYS.... Buy at the full price and then trot off to customer services to claim the refunds..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The OP had a valid contract with Tesco for €6.50. There was offer (from Tesco at €6.50) acceptance (by the OP at €6.50) and consideration (i.e. the money to pay for it). Those are the elements of a valid contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

kn wrote: »
    The OP had a valid contract with Tesco for €6.50. There was offer (from Tesco at €6.50) acceptance (by the OP at €6.50) and consideration (i.e. the money to pay for it). Those are the elements of a valid contract.

Untrue.

The law allows for genuine mistakes.

Tesco hadn't agreed to the contract.

I also think I remember seeing a sign in Ennis saying that their "double the difference" policy is coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

No a price sticker in Retail is "an Inviation to treat" nothing more.

A term of contract law to distinguish advertisements or merchandise displays from formal contract offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

You might want to look at contract law. Tesco price is not an offer but a invitation to treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

As said there is not even one of those steps valid in this case. They never even bought it. The offer was 26 euro made by the sales rep which was not accepted. No contract formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MrSausage

You might want to look at contract law. Tesco price is not an offer but a invitation to treat.

Good point, if a bookie makes crazy odds by mistake, they can get out of it. I really was just curious as to where I stood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

No legal standing. Price laws only come into play with externally advertised pricing (ie adverts not immediately on the product / shelf). It would be impossible to regulate shelf pricing in that way due to occasional mistakes / customers switching prices (happens sometimes in hardware stores).

There is a regulatory body that does spot checks on businesses and issues fines for un-priced shelves, wrong prices, etc but there is nothing for consumers other than goodwill of the management.

Simple case that, as it's not distance selling, they can simply choose not to sell it to you once you get to the checkout if you refute the correct price.

As above, buy it, complain at the desk, get a refund of the difference. If you can't get a refund of the difference, use the returns policy and just get your money back and go home. Risk is on you if the shop doesn't do refunds on working products though, a receipt IS a contract saying you wanted the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It should be in Consumer Issues but just to make things easy:
    1/ theavenger is 100% correct.

2/ kn is 100% incorrect. (Unless what Liam Byrne says is true and they have changed policy in the last week or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭siber

Online frying pans are coming up for €6.50 in my local Tesco store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

i bought some captain morgans a few months back in tesco coz it was half price offer, (cans) at till i got charged full price, was told to go customer service, guy went and took away the sign for half price and gave me my money back and i could keep the cans..

delighted

Just reread my last post and its not that I doubt LB just in case it gets picked up wrong lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

all batteries gone from wilton. Couldn't find any of the memory sticks there but headphones seem full price for tecnika stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

No they didn't have to sell it to you for that price, as someone else mentioned the law allows for genuine mistakes....if they had handed out loads of posters with frying pans for €6.50 on them and then refused to honour the sale then there would be in trouble as they tried to lure people in with false promises.

If you had asked the manager i'm sure they would have given you the discount.

As far as I remember Tesco's policy in regards to overcharging was always that you got the full amount paid refunded, however i've heard recently that they now only refund the amount that was overcharged.

• Advertisement

Once Again!!

Old Price Promise: Item for free plus money back.

*Latest Price Promise: Double the difference of the amount you have been overcharged.

Goods have to have been paid for. If there is a problem go to CS and they process the refund.

*its possible this may have changed again very recently as I havent been to Tesco in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Well it wouldn't have been free if they didn't refund you now would it :p

As I said I've never got double the overcharged amount back but then I haven't had an issue with overcharging there in a while.

Also all you said earlier was that another poster was right, people give out all sorts of incorrect advice on consumer advice all the time without backing it up....so don't just state oh so and so is right and then instantly expect that people will believe you without offering any other info or examples.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

This week I went to buy a wind-up torch/charger, price on shelf a bargain €1.25. Was charged €7 at till; double the difference plus the item free meant I got paid €5.75 to take it off their hands.
    They often ask you to fetch the barcoded price label from the shelf, so effectively only one person will benefit from a misprice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

siber wrote: »
    Online frying pans are coming up for €6.50 in my local Tesco store.

There were Tefal frying pans for €6.50 but it looks like someone left a full price one on the wrong hook or they were packed in the wrong place. The old style ones that were reduced are identical to the new model. Only the barcode would show the difference.

The price thing is def: Double the difference.

BUT, if the wrong price is more than half the price it should be, you get more than you paid back and the item for free.

ie Should be €6.50
    Charged : €29
    Refund €44 and you keep the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

the OPs query has been answered, the above just stood out for me

sorry kn, you have the terms correct but not the process. the "offer" is customers offer of tender for the item, "acceptance" is the sellers acceptance of the customers offer. as mentioned, the price displayed on an item is merely an invitation to treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Swash

I bought a 6 pack of cans from Tesco and was overcharged for them. Didn't realise at the time because I had a few items. Rang the store and they tried to tell me that it was the correct price. They put me through to a few different people and in the end they found that I was overcharged.

I got a full refund and got to keep the cans, happy days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

apologies for bumping this once again but i have a question.
    was in tesco today and they had a 100gram jar of coffee advertised at €4.49. when you looked at the price per kilo underneath, this was quoted at €17.60 so therefore a 100gram jar of coffee should be €1.76. the question is, would tesco double the difference policy apply to this?
    thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

It must depend on your branch. I was overcharged on an item recently (charged pre-sale price) and brought it to customer service. They sent me back for the yellow label but it didn't match. It was the only product even remotely similar to the yellow label and was sitting directly above the yellow label. The lady on customer services was stressed and very very rude...akin to wasting her time for no reason. My custom has gone elsewhere since. No other supermarket has as many threads about their incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just to elaborate on this for giggles - prices on a shelf are always an offer to treat - e.g. an indication of the price you can negoatate with the person at the till. Of course it doesn't work like this but that's the theory. However in the UK if the price charged at the till is wrong and you pay it without knowing (e.g. can of beans out of a hundred items and you don't notice) it's actually a criminal offence. You could theoreticly report it to the police. I'm not sure what the situation is here - but with large UK retailers this is one of the reasons you should never say anything at the till.

It's also why there is a display at the till pointing at you - it's a defence to argue that all the prices you were being charged where being shown to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

thanks for the replies. still not sure where i stand so i'll let it off this time.

Advertisement