Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts in UCD

Options
  • 24-09-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭

Hey guys :) I'm in 6th year currently and on Friday in Careers we were given a list and we wrote out college courses we'd like to do. I had put down a few things in UCD but my guidance counsellor told me that it all counted as one - as in French & Spanish, French & Italian, French & German all fell under just arts and she said, if I was accepted, I could choose which two I want to do once I begin.

So I have a few questions - I do French in school and I'm quite good at it, I love it and its one of my favourite subjects. I heard that in UCD I could do, for example, French and Spanish even though I wont be doing Spanish for my leaving cert - is this true? Can I really pick up a language from scratch? And if there's anyone who does a course in languages, is it enjoyable? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Hi Patchy.

You can pick up any of the languages from scratch in Arts - there's modules for people who DID do it for the LC, and there's Introductory ones for people that are completely new to it.
    A friend of mine last year was in 1st Year Arts and ALL his modules were International Languages - German, French, Spanish, Italian - etc!
    But when it comes to the later years, you'll have to pick between one or two of them to do your degree in.

As for how enjoyable they are, no idea I'm afraid, I'm not studying that type of thing at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Thanks for the reply beardedmaster! :)

Thats exactly what I was thinking of for my first year :D Your reply was very helpful, thanks a lot! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What about a degree like this?

You have to really like languages for it, but you get to spend third year studying abroad!

Oh yes, I've seen that but I'm not very sure what the difference is - I spend a year abroad with these arts degrees too I think. :P Such a scary thought :eek: How exactly would it differ from just learning the languages with arts? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm not sure what the difference is either, to be honest. Sometimes the degree I linked to is Referred to as the BA in International Languages, so maybe they are the same (BA = Bachelor of Arts).

The UCD page I linked to say that minimum points in 2010 was 400, but thisQualifax page says the minimum points in 2010 and 2011 were 415!

I think if you do Languages through Arts Omnibus, the degree is only 3 years, so I imagine that a 4 year degree is probably viewed more favourably by employers than 3 year degrees, but I'm really not sure!

Sorry I can't be of more help! At least you have plenty of time to find out about the courses - good research is key to picking a suitable course!

And as far as I know, you don't *have* to spend a year abroad with Arts courses. You can if you want, through the Erasmus program (once your first and second year grades are good!), whereas with the BA in International Languages you are guaranteed a place on the Erasmus program (and from reading the course description, it looks compulsory - but it's a good way to learn languages!).

I know a guy who's starting second year in International Languages and he spent most of the summer in Italy teaching English!

• Advertisement

Ah, thank you for the information! The year abroad was always a bit unnerving for me and I wasnt sure if I'd enjoy it, but I think if it wasnt compulsory I'd feel more comfortable - I'd probably do it though, I love the idea of being immersed in French or something and seeing the culture. :P

And yeah I'd thought of how I could teach English abroad - it'd be great :D 400 or 415 points isnt too many anyway :) Thanks a million for taking the time to answer my questions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

When you do a year abroad you don't have just a BA, you have a BA International. Unless you fail that year abroad, then you just have a BA and a year long holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

I'm doing French, Spanish, and Irish this year. Spanish is very fast-paced, you would really want to have an interest in it and be dedicated to it. You absolutely have to study at home for it too, and do your best not to miss classes! I do enjoy it though, and would recommend it to anyone :) French is quite good too, I didnt it for the Leaving and I have no problems as of yet :P

Advertisement