Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found dead dog...call ISPCA or not?

Options
  • 24-09-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've just returned from a walk with my dog down the fields in front of my house in Portlaoise. Went as far as a large, deep pond that's been excavated by construction over a year ago.

Approached the edge of the pond and found a dog in the water that'd been drowned. The water is clear enough to see that he'd (it is a male) had a large rock tied to a rope around his neck and was obviously thrown in with it. He appears to be a golden retriever or perhaps a labrador though it's kinda hard to tell.

Don't know what to do now - was thinking of calling the local ISPCA but was confused by their policy page . They advocate the use of a trained vet in humanely putting down an animal that needs to be euthanised but then the following disclaimer appears at the bottom of the page:

Sometimes there are cases In which an animal should be put down as quickly as possible and it would cause more suffering and distress for the animal if it had to wait until it could be taken to a vet or a vet could be brought to it.

Does this mean that anyone can put down an animal as they see fit...(i.e. by drowning in a pond for instance)? Should I call the ISPCA or should I just not bother....? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

wow that sounds horrible:( I can't imagine that tying a rock to a dogs neck is a humane way of putting down a dog! I would ring the ISPCA, they'll be able to give you advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

your not allowed drown any animal to put it down its cruel! Shooting would really be the only other way to do it without causing any suffering. Call them it could have been some sick weirdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What a horrible thing to do. Absolutely report it to the Authorities. Hopefully it has been chipped and the owner can be located. They should be in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Call the Gardai and the ISPCA.

That caveat on the ISPCA's page is meant for situations where, say, a dog has been hit by a car and is clearly suffering and has no chance of recovery. In a case like that it would be more humane to end the dog's suffering yourself there and then rather than trying to move it to a vet. It is certainly not meant to cover tying a dog to a rock and dumping it in a pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh Christ that's turned my stomach.

What sort of sick f****r does that?

When I hear stories like that I always think in my mind of the person doing it, tying a rock round the dogs neck, what was the dog thinking 'is this a new game' and wagging his tail or what? And then the person picks up the dog and throws him into the water and watches him sink, presumably the dog frantically trying to swim to the surface. I mean, what does the person do then? Just walk away thinking 'great I'll just tick that off the old 'to do' list and go home and put the dinner on'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What's frightening is that the person responsible maybe a parent. It's really scary the type of people living in this world. You also read that alot of murderers start off by killing animals and pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Call the Gardai and the ISPCA.

+1 definitely call both

That is just... disgusting. I don't know how anyone with half a conscience could do that to a creature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

That is beyond upsetting. Real scum bags.
    Call the gardai, just in case, god forbid, someone reported him missing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

You should be put to prison if you kill an animal, no different from killing a human your still taking a life. Makes me sick to my stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

What happened - did you call the gardai?
    Please let us know that you took the matter further and that some type of investigation is ongoing to find out who did this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The FBI psychological profiling team have put together a so-called Seven Deadly Signs that indicate a potential serial killer.
    Hardly surprising that cruelty to / killing animals as a youngster made it to the list - many notorious serial killers first came to Police attention for animal cruelty - Ian Brady ( Moors Murders ) used to throw cats off rooftops in Glasgow , Jeffrey Damher who killed dozens of men in Malwaukee was long suspected by local police in the dissappearance of dozens of neighbourhood pets when still a teenager.

Stories like the OP shake one's faith in humanity as much as stories of mass murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Man thats just sick, thats really upset me.. definitley report it and keep us posted if possible.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I agree both Garda and ISPCA should be called.

Who the **** would do that to such an incredible dog too. Golden Retrievers have to be the best dog out there.....

The extra sickening thing about the murder of a cat or a dog is the fact that they trust humans. While a bird would fly away, a dog would most likely sit there whilst its owner was tying the rope not knowing any better and trusting his owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I feel sick knowing someone out there who is capable of doing that to a dog. Any evidence had a collar? Maybe a vet could see if he was chipped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I agree, call both the SPCA and the Gardaí. That's really so sad. The poor dog. And where you are is very close to where I am now, scarily close. I'm really feeling sad thinking of what was going through the dog's mind when a rope with a rock on it was being tied to his neck. How could anyone do that? Especially to a Golden Retriever, they're the most loving dogs you can come across. :(

You should be put to prison if you kill an animal, no different from killing a human your still taking a life. Makes me sick to my stomach
    Killing n animal in this way, yes defo should be put in prison.

Killing an animal in a humain way, no definatly should not be put in prison. Big BIG difference between killing an animal and killing a human

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

how could anyone do that to any animal thats horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

kildare.17hmr - I agree, there is a big difference between killing an animal and killing a human. But there should be a similar punishments for both. As people have stated already, there is evidence to support the fact that a human (I use that term loosely here) who will harm an animal is very very likely to harm another human in the future.

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    kildare.17hmr - I agree, there is a big difference between killing an animal and killing a human. But there should be a similar punishments for both.
    I agree completly, if someone tortures and kills an animal like in the op they diserve what ever they get
    As people have stated already, there is evidence to support the fact that a human (I use that term loosely here) who will harm an animal is very very likely to harm another human in the future.
    Im well aware of that, i watch alot of discovery channel:D
    richiemcdermot said
    You should be put to prison if you kill an animal, no different from killing a human your still taking a life.
    which to me sounds like if you kill an animal in this way or any way you should go to prison which if thats what he ment is crazy. if this is what he ment then in his mind i should be in prison for hunting. Maybe he would like to come clear it up and say what he ment?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Have called the ISPCA earlier today and neither option on their voice-menu could get me through to somebody in person so I left a message instead...

Also took a photo of the dog which I'm reluctant enough to post here. Apart from the recent rain which has literally muddied the waters somewhat, I don't know if the picture would allow any kind of positive ID to be made owing to the position of the dog and the fact that it is beginning to become bloated...

Don't want to let this go too easily so going to ring the Laois Dog Warden tomorrow and am currently drafting an email for the Leinster Express to see if they're interested....

Any thoughts anyone???

• Advertisement

I agree completly, if someone tortures and kills an animal like in the op they diserve what ever they get

Im well aware of that, i watch alot of discovery channel:D
    richiemcdermot said
    You should be put to prison if you kill an animal, no different from killing a human your still taking a life.

which to me sounds like if you kill an animal in this way or any way you should go to prison which if thats what he ment is crazy. if this is what he ment then in his mind i should be in prison for hunting. Maybe he would like to come clear it up and say what he ment?

I'm pretty sure he meant in a cruelty or neglect case. That's certainly how I took it. I don't think anyone seriously thinks that anyone who kills an animal should automatically go to prison regardless of the circumstances.

medici wrote: »
    Have called the ISPCA earlier today and neither option on their voice-menu could get me through to somebody in person so I left a message instead...

Also took a photo of the dog which I'm reluctant enough to post here. Apart from the recent rain which has literally muddied the waters somewhat, I don't know if the picture would allow any kind of positive ID to be made owing to the position of the dog and the fact that it is beginning to become bloated...

Don't want to let this go too easily so going to ring the Laois Dog Warden tomorrow and am currently drafting an email for the Leinster Express to see if they're interested....

Any thoughts anyone???

Did you call the Gardai yet?

I don't think posting the picture here would serve any purpose other than upsetting people. If someone seriously thinks they could make an identification based on the information you've given (which I find highly unlikely) then they can request it by pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

What a horrible situation. Good luck getting anything from the ISPCA OP, you would be better off trying the guards, dunno if they can do anything about it but you wouldnt want to hold your breath waiting for the other crowd.

A pre-meditated animal murder to me is much the same as doing the same to a human. As someone said earlier, this sub-human piece of **** actually had to tie the rock to the dog and make it think it was playing a game before watching it die. As far as thought process and basic human decency goes, wheres the difference? I mean jesus christ I would have taken the dog, anyone would to save it from the scum who did that.

You can put your house on the fact that the type of person who did this is not an upstanding citizen in any way and would be less of a loss to the world than the poor dog.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Did you call the Gardai yet?

I don't think posting the picture here would serve any purpose other than upsetting people. If someone seriously thinks they could make an identification based on the information you've given (which I find highly unlikely) then they can request it by pm.

I'm debating whether or not to call the gardaí - hoping to get more info from ISPCA/dog warden before making a call.

Regarding the photo I took, my thoughts exactly Honey-ec - anyone who wants more info is welcome to send a private message requesting same.

i think yet should defo ring the guards regardless, this might not be the first time something like this has happened and it May be usefull.

Met with a representative from the ISPCA this evening who's made arrangements with the Laois dog warden to retrieve the dog from the pond tomorrow, from there to be disposed of by the local knackery.

The local press got wind of the story of the dead dog that I found drowned in the pond in Portlaoise (no idea who could've tipped them off :rolleyes:...!?!) and it ran in today's Leinster Express. See attached pic.

For any Boardsies based in Laois - or who know me - I'd ask them please do not splash my name over Boards please...:o - I really like my username and don't want to have to change it to maintain some degree of anonymity!

Incidentally, the dog was due to have been removed from the pond (which the paper reports that Laois County Council never even knew existed..!) but I won't be able to check this has been done until tomorrow. Hopefully the story goes some way to highlight animal neglect/cruelty and that people may be more willing to report such cases that they witness or have knowledge of...

Thanks as well to all the messages of encouragement from Boards users about this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

medici wrote: »
    The local press got wind of the story of the dead dog that I found drowned in the pond in Portlaoise (no idea who could've tipped them off :rolleyes:...!?!) and it ran in today's Leinster Express. See attached pic.

For any Boardsies based in Laois - or who know me - I'd ask them please do not splash my name over Boards please...:o - I really like my username and don't want to have to change it to maintain some degree of anonymity!

Incidentally, the dog was due to have been removed from the pond (which the paper reports that Laois County Council never even knew existed..!) but I won't be able to check this has been done until tomorrow. Hopefully the story goes some way to highlight animal neglect/cruelty and that people may be more willing to report such cases that they witness or have knowledge of...

Thanks as well to all the messages of encouragement from Boards users about this :)

Fair play to you man, this really made me sick to my stomach.. hope they trace the owner and work out what happened..

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

That is horrible. Don't know how anyone could hurt a defenceless dog. Feel sick to my stomach thinking about it. Fair play to you making the effort of contacting the ISPCA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement