Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine - Mature Student or Graduate Entry Route

Options
  • 24-09-2011 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

So out of interest, has anyone entered medicine either as a mature student or through a graduate medicine course? I'm trying to write a short piece on how these alternative entry routes to medicine are perceived by the public.

Is there any real difference between the two? From what I can see, it appears to be a lot more difficult to enter an undergraduate medicine course as a mature student (fewer places available) than to enter a graduate medicine course. Does that mean it might be perceived as a better qualification than the graduate route? I know the degrees awarded are effectively the same.

Would I be correct in saying that generally, mature entry to medicine will usually be pursued by individuals that were very close to gaining entry after Leaving Cert and have some relevant experience or a related course (something in the sciences / healthcare fields) completed prior to application as a mature student? On the other hand, the graduate route might be more suitable to someone with a background not related to medicine and is interested in a career change hence the greater accessibility.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

MOD: This might actually be more suitable in Health Science Education forum - feel free to move it if you wish.

Advertisement