Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a Category C Write off

• 24-09-2011 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

My mates looking at buying at Cat C Irish write off Motorcycle. The owner fixed the bike up perfectly since the write off.
    We had it for a day. Stripped it down and the bike is mint. Its an 2005 model motorcycle. They wrote it off as the fairing damage and new radiator cost too much. They called it a beyond economical repair. The owner fixed it up himself over time. Done a great job too.

Anyway if he buys this will he have any issues down the line with it. Whats the catch as the bike is very cheap and a minter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bm69

Any ideas ???

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

how did he write it off? where was the impact that messed up the radiator? if it was front end are the forks/headstock un-damaged or was it a side impact? has he searched ever inch of the frame and sub frames for cracks or splits?

it's a really open ended question he could buy it and grow old waiting for any faults to appear that are related to it's previous accident or it could suffer a general manufacturers fault and it'll get blaimed on being a Cat.C writeoff even though the fault was going to develop with or without it's accident.

it's a complete gamble...if it's really cheap and if he's anyway mechanical i would go for it because most stuff can at least be diagnosed by people who know there way around a bike and then fixed by the pros. if he's a novice to bikes he might over look a tell tale sign of a catastrophe building up.

If he decides either way give up some details on the bike model and cost im curiuos what a good deal and a Cat.C bike is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bm69 wrote: »
    My mates looking at buying at Cat C Irish write off Motorcycle. The owner fixed the bike up perfectly since the write off.
    We had it for a day. Stripped it down and the bike is mint. Its an 2005 model motorcycle. They wrote it off as the fairing damage and new radiator cost too much. They called it a beyond economical repair. The owner fixed it up himself over time. Done a great job too.

Anyway if he buys this will he have any issues down the line with it. Whats the catch as the bike is very cheap and a minter.

I've bought a Cat C before, and, once you know what you're getting into, it's not a problem.

It is entirely reasonable that the bike is sound, and cosmetic damage (which is superficial), and a radiator, can easily write off the bike, even if the rest is perfect.

At the right price, I'd buy it. At least you've had the bike to strip it down an check it out. Buy something else (not declared as damaged or anything....), and maybe it might have had a tip, been fixed..........and you're not told. And you don't get the opportunity you've had, to examine it.

In which case, as in most things, Information is Informed - and your Cat C bike could be, worst case, no worse, and at best- maybe even a better bike.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The bike is mint. Thats 100% for sure.
    But what I need to know is what follow up is there. Will an insurance company insure the bike. Where is the history and records of this write off. Can you get the Cat C write off cleared off the history of the bike.
    He does not want to but it and then come accross many hitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You can't amend the history of the bike. It was crashed, recorded as Cat C - which is a financial assessment - and a claim was paid on it. The records of this are held by the insurance company.

None of that is 'adjustable'.

By the same token, there is no reason why you will have any problem insuring it.

Did you ring up and get a quote - maybe you're panicking over nothing??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Its the future he's worried about. If he buys it.....can he get the title put into his name with no hasel.
    Will the insurance be more expensive when the the insurance company sees the history of it being a Cat C write off.
    When he sells it on in the future will the buyer know it was a cat C write off and walk away.
    His fear is that he will be stuck with it forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

my first bike was bought from Quinn by a garage and done up so im assuming was a cat D/C writeoff...
    i insured it with quinn (best price) and nothing was mentioned about it benig a crashed repaired bike.... to be honest i forgot about it until i read this post! should be fine :pac:

Advertisement