Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby regulating their own temperature

Options
  • 24-09-2011 3:49pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭

Just a general question here. How long on average does it take a baby to regulate their own temperature?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Just looked it up online and it seems they start to do it once born. Ask your phn for a mor definate answer though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It can take a long time for their bodies to do it well. My boy is 20 months and only in the last month is he not getting a temperature from teething, he gets soaked in sweat instead.

They gradually improve the older they get. Do you have a specific concern about this or are you wondering when you can stop worrying?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We think we're over heating him when he's in the cot. Always have a blanky over him. When we have the fire lit, we were hoping to take his top off him. Were were told not to over heat him, and 'coz we like big fires we were wondering about the self regulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If he's a newborn I'd leave the blanket on as newborns love being kept warm. I dressed my son in babygros abd kept him swaddled all the time up to 12 weeks except if he was in the car and then I'd have a all in one suit with a hat. Once he got past 12 weeks and was more active I dressed him in daytime clothes, babygros at night with a sleepbag and a blanket around his lower half. I still wrap him in a blanket when he's sleeping as I found he
    sleeps much better.

I dont agree with the tizzie hall idea of 19 layers but a cellular blanket doubled over is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

General rule of thumb is a newborn needs one more lair than an adult. . and cold hands face or feet don't mean the baby is cold, it's quite common. you test their body temperature at the back of their neck. If it's warm back there then they're fine. .;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement