Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a Bearded Dragon in cork???

Options
  • 24-09-2011 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Myself and the girlfriend have decided it's time for our first pet :D

Spent today getting the bits and pieces needed for a vivarium, I'm gonna make it during the week and hopefully it'll be ready to house a bearded dragon next weekend.

Does anyone know of a beardie breeder in cork?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

Elbow wrote: »
    Myself and the girlfriend have decided it's time for our first pet :D

Spent today getting the bits and pieces needed for a vivarium, I'm gonna make it during the week and hopefully it'll be ready to house a bearded dragon next weekend.

Does anyone know of a beardie breeder in cork?

Thanks

i am a keeper myself,great choice in pet , what size setup are u building for it , have u got the correct lighting , heatbulb, uv bulb , heat mat, hides , substrate , food ,

please think about rehoming one as too many are up for rehome , people buy them thinking they stay small , they grow aroun 2ft in lenght . and need space to climb and run so min size viv for a bearide would need to be 4ft+ for one

theirs plenty of reptile forums ,
    www.herpireland.com and www.reptile-community.com
    you will find all u need on their ,
    here is a picture of one of my setups
    db65a69d-0a5d-467b-84b0-a5ffc6efc69f.jpg

and i am not a keeper that knows nuthin about them i have been keeping beardies for a few years now and i have various other reptiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

antocann wrote: »
    i am a keeper myself,great choice in pet , what size setup are u building for it , have u got the correct lighting , heatbulb, uv bulb , heat mat, hides , substrate , food ,

please think about rehoming one as too many are up for rehome , people buy them thinking they stay small , they grow aroun 2ft in lenght . and need space to climb and run so min size viv for a bearide would need to be 4ft+ for one

theirs plenty of reptile forums ,
    www.herpireland.com and www.reptile-community.com
    you will find all u need on their ,

Thanks for the advice antocann :)

Since my OP we've been into a few pet shops in cork and although 2 have a few dragons in stock the staff couldn't really tell us anything about them other than than how long they'd been in the shop. Being newbies to the reptile scene we had a load of questions and they couldn't really help us.

Anyway got in touch with reptile haven yesterday, the guy i was talking to knew what he was on about and was really helpful so we're gonna take a spin up to Dublin Saturday to get a dragon & the final few bits i need for his new home.

The vivarium I've built is 4' 6" wide, 2' 3" high & 2' deep so according to my research should be plently big enough for a berardie. I'll be using the insulation, grout & resin method that seems to crop up regularly enough online for the background/hiding places/waterfall.

Have the basking light sorted & we'll pick up the UV light, controller etc on Saturday, We were advised against getting a heat mat though :confused:

As for food, called into the local pet shop and although they don't stock reptile food she said she can add crickets etc to her weekly order for us.

The thing thats confusing me now is what substrate to go for :confused:

Thanks for the advice antocann :)

Since my OP we've been into a few pet shops in cork and although 2 have a few dragons in stock the staff couldn't really tell us anything about them other than than how long they'd been in the shop. Being newbies to the reptile scene we had a load of questions and they couldn't really help us.

Anyway got in touch with reptile haven yesterday, the guy i was talking to knew what he was on about and was really helpful so we're gonna take a spin up to Dublin Saturday to get a dragon & the final few bits i need for his new home.

The vivarium I've built is 4' 6" wide, 2' 3" high & 2' deep so according to my research should be plently big enough for a berardie. I'll be using the insulation, grout & resin method that seems to crop up regularly enough online for the background/hiding places/waterfall.

Have the basking light sorted & we'll pick up the UV light, controller etc on Saturday, We were advised against getting a heat mat though :confused:

As for food, called into the local pet shop and although they don't stock reptile food she said she can add crickets etc to her weekly order for us.

The thing thats confusing me now is what substrate to go for :confused:
    yeh the guys in reptile haven will sort you out , they know their stuff , as for heat mat , yep you need one of those , heatrocks can burn them so mats are better

that viv sounds like a grand size for a pair of beardies ,, hope you enjoy them , they make great pets , i have 7 of them :D

yeh make sure u get the uv , as for basking lights , dont bother buying the reptile branded ones in shops , depending on your fitting , the tightbeam spot bulbs you get in tesco fore 2 for 2.50 do the job alot cheaper ;)

and for the food ,
    i buy my insects online from www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk
    great prices and free delivery to ireland , takes about 3 days for delivery and saves alot of money

if you need to any help about them or anything just send us a msg ill be glad to help

antocann wrote: »
    yeh the guys in reptile haven will sort you out , they know their stuff , as for heat mat , yep you need one of those , heatrocks can burn them so mats are better

that viv sounds like a grand size for a pair of beardies ,, hope you enjoy them , they make great pets , i have 7 of them :D

yeh make sure u get the uv , as for basking lights , dont bother buying the reptile branded ones in shops , depending on your fitting , the tightbeam spot bulbs you get in tesco fore 2 for 2.50 do the job alot cheaper ;)

and for the food ,
    i buy my insects online from www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk
    great prices and free delivery to ireland , takes about 3 days for delivery and saves alot of money

if you need to any help about them or anything just send us a msg ill be glad to help

Now that you mention it twas the heat rock we were advised against not the heat mat :o

We've already bought a reptile branded basking light but i'll know better next time & we'll be picking up the UV lights etc with the dragons.

Now that you mention it twas the heat rock we were advised against not the heat mat :o

We've already bought a reptile branded basking light but i'll know better next time & we'll be picking up the UV lights etc with the dragons.

out of cureosity , how much are you paying for the beardie , are u gething an adult or a babie ? theirs plenty of breeders in dublin selling them alot cheaper than shops

• Advertisement

We're debating between getting a baby or a 1 year old (ish) so wont really know what the cost will be until Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

I don't know if I'm too late on this one, but on the likes of some of the classified websites there are often Beardies for sale that need new homes. There are also several beardies up for rehome on a regular basis.

One member on Herp Ireland (www.herpireland.com) recently had to rehome the remaining babies he had for sale as there were just no buyers.

Either way, best of luck with your new addition and I recommend not breeding them in the future ;)

Dutchology wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm too late on this one, but on the likes of some of the classified websites there are often Beardies for sale that need new homes. There are also several beardies up for rehome on a regular basis.

One member on Herp Ireland (www.herpireland.com) recently had to rehome the remaining babies he had for sale as there were just no buyers.

Either way, best of luck with your new addition and I recommend not breeding them in the future ;)

I had a forgotten about this thread :o

We ended up taking a spin up 2 reptile haven 3 weekends ago and picked up a male & a female.
    So far she's eating like there's no tomorrow and he has nothing on the brain but her :p

38f4c42a.jpg

0ea9f708.jpg

b1d56bf1.jpg
    "The locust made a fatal error landing there :D"

Advertisement