Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC charging me a months worth for 2 days?

Options
  • 24-09-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

I registered for UPC internet and TV on the 19th of september under the impression that I would be charged ~60e per month in advance of each month. I got an e-mail and video from them there saying that they'd charge me from the 21st of each month and that they were going to take the 2 days from the 19th to the 21st into account when calculating my first bill. They're charging me 124 euro for the first month which leads me to believe they're charging me the full ~60e for 2 days. Is this the case or are there some hidden costs? Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

\this is one of those questions where it's actually better to call UPC. Only they can tell you what they charged you for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I registered for UPC internet and TV on the 19th of september under the impression that I would be charged ~60e per month in advance of each month. I got an e-mail and video from them there saying that they'd charge me from the 21st of each month and that they were going to take the 2 days from the 19th to the 21st into account when calculating my first bill. They're charging me 124 euro for the first month which leads me to believe they're charging me the full ~60e for 2 days. Is this the case or are there some hidden costs? Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

They will charge you for the days between installation and the first billing day, the 21st according to you, so e60/30 days in a month X 2 days = 4e (roughly).

They'll charge you for the next month, e60, as well as any installation charges (I think e40, I got mine from Boards.ie offer so it was free) as well as the phone?

As the above poster, ring UPC customer support and ask them for a full breakdown of charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Leeg17 wrote: »
    They will charge you for the days between installation and the first billing day, the 21st according to you, so e60/30 days in a month X 2 days = 4e (roughly).

They'll charge you for the next month, e60, as well as any installation charges (I think e40, I got mine from Boards.ie offer so it was free) as well as the phone?

As the above poster, ring UPC customer support and ask them for a full breakdown of charges.

The installation was free, I tried ringing them earlier but they were closed, i'll ring again on monday and see but I really hope this is some sort of mistake because I can barely afford to pay the 60 per month as it is let alone double that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The installation was free, I tried ringing them earlier but they were closed, i'll ring again on monday and see but I really hope this is some sort of mistake because I can barely afford to pay the 60 per month as it is let alone double that.
    They have charged you for a month in advance plus the current month and because there was a couple of days over they charged €4 extra for this. Sounds like it is all above board.

Full month in advance €60
    Full current month €60
    Part of the month €4

Perhaps if there was more than a few days or a week or two into the month they may have considered it as the current month but not after only a few days.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They have charged you for a month in advance plus the current month and because there was a couple of days over they charged €4 extra for this. Sounds like it is all above board.

Full month in advance €60
    Full current month €60
    Part of the month €4

Perhaps if there was more than a few days or a week or two into the month they may have considered it as the current month but not after only a few days.

So am I basically paying for 60 for 21st sept-21st october in advance and 60 for 21st october - 21st november now? Will my next bill be in 2 months?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Sign up to www.upc.ie and you can check your bill online, it gives you a full break down of what your charges are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So am I basically paying for 60 for 21st sept-21st october in advance and 60 for 21st october - 21st november now? Will my next bill be in 2 months?

Yes, like quite a few service providers they do bi-monthly billing and yes you're paying an entire 2 month period in advance with every billing. That's the way it will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

In general, rental and fixed items are billed in advance. Charges that arise (like phone calls or PPV or similar) are billed in arrears. Mobile and eircom landline are more or less the same.

I didn't know they billed every 2 months, I was under the impression it was monthly. makes sense now, thanks everyone.

They bill monthly. Have you rung them yet?

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    They bill monthly. Have you rung them yet?

Not yet, i'll ring them tomorrow because there's a bit of conflicting information in here, are you sure they bill every month? thanks.

You were advised to ring them BECAUSE you will get conflicting info in here. UPC are the ONLY ones who can tell you what's going on.

My name is Keith Burke. I'm a UPC customer. I get billed monthly.

Step 1 is to identify that you have a problem.

I'm a UPC customer and I'm billed every two months! I think it depends on the kind of service you are getting, - cable, MMDS, etc. It varies according to the area you live in and the type of signal available in that area as far as I know. I live in the country so it's a different connection to what is available in cabled areas.

I live in a town, billed every 2 months for a few years now. Was monthly with Chorus but when UPC took over Chorus they sent out a notice they where moving customers to bi-monthly.

Bi monthly is outrageous and I wouldn't stand for it. It's hard enough to pay the bills at the moment, never mind budgeting for a whopper every two months.

If they told me to pay bi-monthly, I'd be telling them to fook right off. Free Sat it would be

Bi monthly is outrageous and I wouldn't stand for it. It's hard enough to pay the bills at the moment, never mind budgeting for a whopper every two months.

If they told me to pay bi-monthly, I'd be telling them to fook right off. Free Sat it would be
    Ah now, it may be inconvenient for you but it's far from outrageous.

Why not pretend to yourself you're still billed monthly and put aside enough to cover it? TV and internet costs are fixed, so only the phone (if you have it) will vary and as you're budgeting you probably have a reasonable guestimate of how much to put aside each month. It's hard not to be tempted to dip into the UPC kitty though.

A free sat is probably the best choice for a tight budget regardless of how often you're billed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Yes, like quite a few service providers they do bi-monthly billing and yes you're paying an entire 2 month period in advance with every billing. That's the way it will continue.
    I didn't know they billed every 2 months, I was under the impression it was monthly. makes sense now, thanks everyone.

Im billed monthly in advance, except for phone calls, having said that they accidentally added a premium on to my bills. Get onto them, it will probably be a nightmare dealing with them, good to keep an eye on the bills really.

Update?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

I just got a bill form Bord Gais electricity for €935, apparently they accidentally forgot to bill me for the past year, try budgeting for that whopper!!
    (yes I know it was partly my fault for not paying attention but had dd set up and put money aside every month to cover it, have gas with them also so saw bills coming in from them and dd's going out - didn't look into them in too much detail - lesson learned)

Update?

sorry it's been late, turns out there was a 40 euro "activation fee" for each the modem and router, something they don't bloody mention anywhere that i know of. it specifically said that my once off payment was 0 euro but i'm hit with this. ridiculous.

thanks for the help anyone anyway, appreciated.

• Advertisement

sorry it's been late, turns out there was a 40 euro "activation fee" for each the modem and router, something they don't bloody mention anywhere that i know of. it specifically said that my once off payment was 0 euro but i'm hit with this. ridiculous.

thanks for the help anyone anyway, appreciated.

Look at their website, it's stated under the "Conditions" tab displayed on the web page of each broadband service advertised, has been for ages I find it hard to believe they didn't include these same conditions in any small print somewhere.
    UPC Fibre Power Broadband services are only available to enabled homes. Installation is carried out by a third party installer. UPC will not be responsible for the installation. A €40 Equipment Activation fee applies for every Fibre Power Broadband service ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

It really depends what you take out with them. We took out the fibre power ultimate with HD Box and got installation free and 2 months sports, you do have to ask though what they can do for you when you call them, everyone just assumes you have to pay these things but if you dont ask you dont get.

Saying that I got a call from one of there techy guys trying to tell me that I couldnt get the package I agreed with there CS Rep as it wasnt possible to provide the bundle at the price I was given. I olst the plot and called the rep and she was shocked I recieved this type of call, I did make an offical complaint but it fell on deaf ears.

Do have to agree I think it is outrageous that you are paying to watch tv and use broadband 2 months in advance of receiving the service, I think 1 month in advance should be sufficient!

Advertisement