Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting fed up with eircom??

Options
  • 24-09-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Im with eircom years.Lately, over the past few months we cant use anymore than one thing at a time.If my husband is using his ps3 , I cant go on my laptop.Now we have that NGB, Im wondering if its the modem, Im just waiting for UPC to come into my area and hopefully it will change.But from now , any advice would be great.We have restarted the modem etc but no luck.Its wayyy too slow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

have you done a speed test lately?

http://speedtest.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mobyfitz20

i feel your pain, i been with eircom only 3 weeks and i'm fed up with them, for the first week everything was working fine, i was using a download speed of just over 7mb now it's just over 3mb. also my phone hasn't been working for the past 2 weeks. it keeps telling me NO LINE.. i contacted eircom over 2 weeks ago about this problem and no action has been taken. i am looking into cancelling my contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

speedtest was fine, I honestly dont know what it is ,but its cr**.UPC hurry up......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

We've been with eircom for around 2 years now and they've been nothing short of a complete and utter disaster. Can't get UPC here, so we've been limited in who else we can get. We've had an absolutely terrible connection since we got it and countless engineer visits.

The engineer was good enough to deal with but our account manager and the general customer service has been absolutely abysmal. We've had our account manager ignore engineers advice about dropping our broadband speed, then reduce our speed, but neglect to reduce our bill for the last 3 or 4 months and have been waiting as long for a refund we were promised.

Basically our internet goes down around 6-10 times a day, sometimes 4 times a day since we got it, and for months they basically refused to deal with it. In fact they've still refused to deal with it properly and have just adopted a policy of ignoring us. Today is just the final straw really. I'm just trying to relax on my Sunday off by playing a bit of Xbox online and I can't even get through a single match without losing my internet connection. If anyone is thinking of signing up to eircom I can't recommend not doing it strongly enough. Terrible company, terrible service.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Right, just putting this out there as it happened to me. When you say that the internet drops out, is anything in the house being turned on, like the cooker, washing machine, electric shower, even the kettle?

We had a problem where the electricity in the house dropped below the operating voltage of the router, and connectivity was lost whenever a big draw on the electricity occurred. Anytime the dinner was being made or someone was in the shower, there was no internet to be had in the house.

Like I said, this is just something that happened us, it was an electrical problem that the ESB had to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi NotorietyH,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

Please PM your home phone number and I will look into your query.

Best regards,
    Ant
    NotorietyH wrote: »
    We've been with eircom for around 2 years now and they've been nothing short of a complete and utter disaster. Can't get UPC here, so we've been limited in who else we can get. We've had an absolutely terrible connection since we got it and countless engineer visits.

The engineer was good enough to deal with but our account manager and the general customer service has been absolutely abysmal. We've had our account manager ignore engineers advice about dropping our broadband speed, then reduce our speed, but neglect to reduce our bill for the last 3 or 4 months and have been waiting as long for a refund we were promised.

Basically our internet goes down around 6-10 times a day, sometimes 4 times a day since we got it, and for months they basically refused to deal with it. In fact they've still refused to deal with it properly and have just adopted a policy of ignoring us. Today is just the final straw really. I'm just trying to relax on my Sunday off by playing a bit of Xbox online and I can't even get through a single match without losing my internet connection. If anyone is thinking of signing up to eircom I can't recommend not doing it strongly enough. Terrible company, terrible service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Results of my ping test are
    Ping 73 MS
    DOWNLOAD SPEED 1.75 MBPS
    Upload speed is 0.21 mbps
    Im thinking should I get a new modeum/Routher thing.Belkin N600 was one I was looking at.
    Thanks all for the advice,Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

cathy01 wrote: »
    Results of my ping test are
    Ping 73 MS
    DOWNLOAD SPEED 1.75 MBPS
    Upload speed is 0.21 mbps
    Im thinking should I get a new modeum/Routher thing.Belkin N600 was one I was looking at.
    Thanks all for the advice,Cathy

Hi cathy01,

Thanks for posting on boards and apologies for the delay replying.

Let me know if I can help you further with your broadband query.

In some cases you may find that your broadband connection is not working or running slowly.

*Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

Before testing your Broadband Speed, it is important to locate the Main Phone Point (MDP) in your house**.

(**The MDP (Master phone Socket) is usually found just inside the hallway or front of your house; or the first point of entry for the phoneline to the premises)
    • Powercycle the modem:
      • Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
      • Wait 30 seconds
      • Switch the modem back On
      • Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect
    • Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.
    • Test your modem speed with just one Computer (PC). All other PC's should be shut down temporarily while testing i.e : Computers /laptops /smartPhones /wireless equipment including Games Consoles: (Xbox(s), Playstation(s), etc.

Are you connecting wirelessly? http://bit.ly/WirelessCheck
    • If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.
    Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?
    • These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.
    Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?
    • Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.
    If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance.

• *Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.) However, if there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, here are a few suggestions.
    *Note: Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).

If you are still experiencing slow speeds or intermittent connections, please call into eircom Technical Support where one of our Broadband Support Professionals can help and guide you with any eircom Technical related issue ;-

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement