Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-solid oak flooring, cracks appearing in surface

• 24-09-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I've a friend who's had pre-finished semi-solid oak flooring installed by a professional company. Sections are about 5" wide x 3-4 ft long. Within a few months, cracks started appearing in the surface of the flooring. They're weren't huge splits or anything but were a bit more than hairline - they're made more noticable by the finish lifting up at the cracks. As time progressed the cracking became quite extensive.

The floor was removed and a new floor laid - using the same kind of flooring. Within a few months this flooring was cracking too.

The floor was removed and a new floor laid - using an alternative manufacturers flooring. It has just started showing signs of cracking.

My friend assures me that sufficient expansion jointing has be left - he's seen it himself before the skirting boards were put back on.

I can't find anything readily on the web about it - so anyone here got an idea?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Is there underfloor heating under the oak floor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Is there underfloor heating under the oak floor?

I pretty sure not ( it's a 70's build) but I'll ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

I'd say there is damp under the floor and it has taken this long to split the timber...And you can be sure it will get worse as time goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

no underfloor heating. Concrete floors. So the potential of damp alright. I'd have thought the installer would check (before fitting flooring for the 3rd time)

Added:

Just talked to my mate now. The house in indeed 70's and hasn't had any issue with damp floors (to the extent of being noticed: smell, condensation, etc). The issue of cracking has been extensive: in the living room, hall and downstairs study where the same flooring has been laid.

Is there a possibility of previously unnoticed damp being sufficient to crack flooring?

Advertisement