Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merrida with 16 speed sunrace gear system

• 24-09-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was just looking to see how people rate Merrida road bikes. I was just today looking at a 16 speed aluminium frame with sunrace gear system.

I'm not sure what the exact spec's were but the basic model is priced at 599 euro.

Can anyone provide any info on these bikes and their gear systems and whether or not it's better to buy such a - less popular brand name for cheap - than spend double on a giant defy or something like that.

What would the benefits of spending 599 as opposed to 1500 on a bike?? Would the dearer bike be more comfortable? last longer? go faster? Or is it just a weight thing?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Funny you should post this, I was only talking to the distributor about that bike yesterday, I haven't seen the model in question but as far as Sunrace goes, IMHO it's great stuff, manufacturers are looking for cheaper alternatives to the usual Shimano, SRAM and Campag' these days so more and more bikes will be coming through with the likes of Sunrace and Microshift to keep the price point down, I don't know about the wheel set or finishing kit of the bike but controls and drive train are perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Merida are a large tawianese company that apparently make frames for a lot of other companies so they're capable of making decent machines and I wouldn't be worried about quality control like I would be with a lot of cheaper bikes. Having said that I haven't actually ever ridden a merida and I don't know exactly which model you're talking about so I can't exactly say whether or not it's good value.

As far as I know the 16 speed sunrace is basically a copy of shimano's 2200 16 speed groupset but again I haven't used it although if Holyboy says it's decent I'm willing to accept that as he seems to know his stuff. Any of the cheaper groupsets like sunrace, microshift and 2200 will work fine and last a good few years at least, they just won't feel as nice to use.

A 1500 won't go a lot faster but it should go a bit faster and more importantly it'll feel a lot faster. It'll also be lighter, change gears more smoothly, probably have better brakes, have better power transfer and either a carbon fork or even a full carbon frame which I reckon makes things a lot more comfortable.

Advertisement