Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tacx / iMac Compatability

• 24-09-2011 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a Tacx Fortius Multiplayer T1930 VR trainer. It works (just about) on my old Dell PC which sadly, after a great many, many years of faithful service, has all but given up on itself.

I am intending on getting an Apple iMac as a replacement. My question is this (as I have not found an answer during my searches thus far):

Q: Is the Tacx software for the above product compatible with an iMac operating system and does anyone have this combination and have any advice on what I may need to do other than the standard install to make it work?

Thanks,

LD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

An iMac? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

It looks pretty!

Edit: Thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

don't mind 'em, Mac's are deadly ;)

Here's the Techie's contact address in case ye don't have the manual anymore: support@tacx.nl

• Registered Users Posts: 12 buscuit

You could always install windows or a linux operating system system on your mac. It is quite easy to do. Google should be able to provide info!

Please do not advise him to install Linux or anything of the sort, for it shall be me who has to ultimately deal with it.

• Advertisement

andy69 wrote: »
    don't mind 'em

Ah, he's an ar$e at the best of times anyway :pac:

Raam wrote: »
    Please do not advise him to install Linux or anything of the sort, for it shall be me who has to ultimately deal with it.

Hah! So, so true!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Steve_hooo wrote: »

Yea, I had checked there and that got me worried. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Its no problem at all, I've my Tacx Fortius running on a MacBook Pro. It will work perfectly BUT you've got to get a full copy of Windows as the Tacx software is Windows only.

You've two ways of running Windows on as Mac, you can either partition the drive and install Windows using Bootcamp which your Mac already comes with. This will allow you to startup in either Windows or Mac OSX.

Or you can buy Parallels which will allow you to run Windows within OSX with no need to reboot.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/switchtomac/

I use the Bootcamp method, and its worked perfectly. I only installed Windows XP as Windows 7 was just out at the time & full of bugs, so dont worry about getting the latest version of Windows.

My mate is running his Tacx using Parallels and has no problems either, again using Windows XP.

• Advertisement

Please don't do it.

DO IT !!

Please don't do it.

Please don't do it.
    Murph100 wrote: »
    DO IT !!

God, I'm a bit Natalie Imbruglia about this.

:confused:

Get a Dell laptop with a good graphics card and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Get the best laptop/PC hardware you can afford. Don't pay for an OS. Stick Ubuntu on it. Install VirtualBox and use that to run Windows in a VM. Run your Tacx software on that. Call Raam if you have any problems. Simples. :D

In other words GET A MAC !! :D

RT66 wrote: »
    Get the best laptop/PC hardware you can afford. Simples. :D

See, now that I've seen a dell all in one for waaaaaaay less than the imac, I'm starting to lean that way. Maybe I'll sell the vr trainer!!!

Compare the specs VERY carefully, there wont be a whole lot in it if the specs are the same.

Bottom line :

if you want to spend your time solving software & hardware issues ... get a PC

If you want to just use the computer ... get a Mac

I await the wrath of the programmers & tech heads :p

BTW best prices in Macs are usually here :

www.jigsaw24.com

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    See, now that I've seen a dell all in one for waaaaaaay less than the imac, I'm starting to lean that way. Maybe I'll sell the vr trainer!!!

Murph100 wrote: »
    Compare the specs VERY carefully, there wont be a whole lot in it if the specs are the same.

Bottom line :

if you want to spend your time solving software & hardware issues ... get a PC

If you want to just use the computer ... get a Mac

I await the wrath of the programmers & tech heads :p

BTW best prices in Macs are usually here :

www.jigsaw24.com

Are you on commission from Apple :D

Advice is appreciated though.

I wish !! :)

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Are you on commission from Apple :D

Advice is appreciated though.

• Advertisement