Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age would/did you let your kids start watching Doctor Who at?

Options
  • 24-09-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭

When I was putting my stepson to bed this evening he asked if he could watch Doctor Who with me next week... Now, since it's the finale and I wouldn't stand a chance in hell of explaining this arc to a little fella who's just turned 6, I put him off saying he can watch it with me next year (white lie, given the upcoming gap).

So, when it returns properly, he'll be 8 and hopefully too old to be getting nightmares from it.

Any other mum's / dad's here who watch DW with their kids? What age did you let them start watching at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

My four year old watches it and has been for as long as I can remember. He does get scared some times but he has his teddy to protect him. He also knows the Doctor always wins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My daughter, who's just turned 5 this month, has been watching it on and off for the last 2 years with me.

I tend to skip the scarier episodes, but she still loves watching the Doctor in action knowing he'll save the day.

It's okay for kids to watch it, as long as you skip over the scarier episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Childless college student here but if I had kids I wouldn't mind watching it with them as soon as they were old enough to understand it. I don't think I'd exclude the scary ones, they're the best ones and surely getting the veal scared out of you on occasion is part of growing up.

And yeah that was supposed to be crap not veal but my phone autocorrected it and I thought it was too funny to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭White Wolf Airsoft

There are a few scary Eps out there but just watch them while there watching it but i dont know what i would be like without ever watching it I v been watching it for as long as i can remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

My nephews love doctor who, one is four and the other is eight. They've no problems with the scary episodes. But that said I've another nephew, also eight, who wouldn't watch it at all. He gets nightmares easy and his mother doesn't like him watching anything she considers "scary." Hoping to start him off with Sarah Jane soon though to get him used to it, then maybe show him some easier going new series episodes.

Anyway, all comes down to the child I guess. For me, my kids will be raised like myself- Watching doctor who from before they can talk!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was babysitting my nephew (7) and he said he always watches it but as I couldn't contact his mother I said No. Reason was that I found the Weeping Angels episodes fairly sinister (ok they frightened the sh** out of me). I think I would prewatch them before allowing a child to watch but hey kids see worse on computer games so wouldn't criticise anyone whose kids watch regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

My 6 year old watches it and loves it ( has watched since Martha Jones).

On the other hand my 8 year old finds it scary and won't watch it. (both girls) so depends on the child really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I had to change my underwear after I watched Blink the first time...

Advertisement