Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where in Dublin can I buy cresote.

• 24-09-2011 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Hiya folks.

I need a large plastic drum of cresote for treating fencing around some fields.

Anyone know where I can get one in the general Dublin area. The local builders providers only have small 4L tins.

General Dublin-Naas-Bray areas. I know, I know, not many farms around but there is one in Dublin 24.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭allenview

you can buy 20 litre drums or 240 litre drums at pdm, oldmill,kill, co kildare
    you might have to go through a fencing contractor to get it,give them a ring before you go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

I'll give you a good tip for mixing in the creosote to use on painting your fence posts, mix 50-50 with cheap diesel, or burnt oil, ie, oil from car or lorry oil change. Good for the timber, really easy to apply, but not for animals. Hope that helps you.

if you are going to mix oil with cresote make sure its oil from a petrol engine,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

allenview wrote: »
    if you are going to mix oil with cresote make sure its oil from a petrol engine,

Might I display my ignorance and ask why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Hiya folks.

Anyone know where I can get one in the general Dublin area. The local builders providers only have small 4L tins.

General Dublin-Naas-Bray areas. I know, I know, not many farms around but there is one in Dublin 24.

Thanks all.

I thought it was banned, but evidently not. A real smell that takes me back to childhood - before you were old enough to paint tastefully and do edges, you were old enough to slap on creosote!

There was a stack of creosoted fence posts at the ploughing and they were like a navigational aid - you could smell them when you came within about 50 metres!

LC

• Advertisement

something to do with additive in diesel oil which is not in oil for petrol engines, i stand to be correct on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

headmaster wrote: »
    I'll give you a good tip for mixing in the creosote to use on painting your fence posts, mix 50-50 with cheap diesel, or burnt oil, ie, oil from car or lorry oil change. Good for the timber, really easy to apply, but not for animals. Hope that helps you.

The fields are rented to a farmer who periodically puts sheep and cows on the land.

Kill sounds good. Its only 15 minutes out the road. (If they sell it to me!)

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Hiya folks.

Thanks all.

Be careful using creosote if you do source it, it's very nasty and
    restricted for a reason.

Those 4L containers are probably "CreoCoat" not creosote,
    quite good all the same.

Actual cancer causing, embryo deforming, genetic hereditary disease
    producing creosote (listed in the Health effects from the MSDS)
    is now only available to "professional users"

Farmers qualify as professional users but it's still rarely stocked anywhere now
    the poster that referred to a fencing contractor is right as they'd qualify as
    a professional user.

We have some 20L drums but only use it for touching up king posts as they
    are such a pain to replace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement