Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airline ticket advice

Options
  • 24-09-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

myself and the now ex boyfriend (thats another story) had just last week booked tickets to go to asia for three months...today we broke up and i do not want to go to asia by myself. Is there anyway i can get my money back from the airline (eithad) or do i just have to take it as a lost? The tickets were booked on his dad card too so i just dont know what to do. any advise appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Highly unlikely you'll be able to get a refund. It depends on the type of ticket and if there is that option on that ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

you could ask if he would sell it if you found a friend who would take it? he'd have to sell it for less than he paid perhaps. but if you both take the loss you both lose more (thats assuming there is a name change option on the ticket)

A name change may be costly tough, and can sometimes be €100 to €150.

And then there is the fact you'd need to find people willing, with the correct visas (if needed) and shots (medical shots).

yeah - unlikely but not impossible. itd be lucky if it was possible. as a refund is really unlikely. if they did give one it'd be entirely at their discretion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/Etihad/_layouts/Etihad/obe/CompareFareType.aspx?ROUTE=CDG-KUL&LANGUAGE=GB

Check that page out to see if changes are allowed on your flight type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Found this on Ethiad website

Cancel your flight
    Permitted at a charge of EUR 175. Refund administration fee: Etihad charges service fees for all tickets being processed for a refund, in addition to any fare penalties applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

thanks for your replies. we're not even on speaking terms so i just dont know what to do. he had emailed me the confirmation in relation to my ticket last week so i have that but thats all i have just dont know where to start or what to say.

is it already paid for on your end? if so then your ticket is yours - you arent on speaking terms but you both booked this so it is something that has to be discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Do you have insurance? Maybe try that...

Any refund would most likely be paid back in the method it was paid. So, you wouldn't be getting cash in hand.

Insurance wouldn't cover a breakup or change of mind.

• Advertisement

ya its paid for but was paid for on his dads debit card. and we hadnt gotten our insurance yet because we were looking at getting backpackers insurance separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Remember that even if the airline won't refund any portion of the ticket, they HAVE to give you back any Government taxes, landing fees etc involved with the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Go to Asia by yourself. Plenty of people do.

I'm too nervous to go by myself was even nervous about going with my bf cause im such a home bird. thanks again for all the replies. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Loopyl,
    am i right in thinking that you yourself incurred no expense in the ticket purchase? Your ex boyfriends dad seems to have paid for the tickets, if so, why are you trying to get money out of it? I may be wrong, but the post seems to suggest otherwise.

I gave him the money out of my savings for the ticket he just used his dads card to pay for it cause his dad was paying for his ticket and it made sense to get both tickets together.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

First thing is to contact the airline and see what they can do in terms of a refund.

What worries me though is that the tickets were purchased on his father's credit card. If the airline can refund, they will probably only do so to the method of purchase, i.e. that credit card. So you would need to get his father to then return the money to you.

thats what i worried about. i sent him a message last night to say im looking into getting a refund and that it might have to go back onto his dads card and that i would give him my account details and he could just lodge it in my bank if it would be easier but the response i got was i can go jump if you think im gonna bother dad over you.

if they do approve the refund i might contact his sister and ask her to contact his dad but id prefer not to drag her into it either.

thats really unreasonable, saying that to you
    regardless of how things ended
    its your money (if you got a full/partial refund)
    if he doesnt calm down it might even be best to approach the sister (if youre on good terms with her) or even the father himself if youre on good terms with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Just leave it for a week or so. When is the flight? Wait until everyone has calmed down and you will probably find he'll be more helpful. Emotions are getting in the way of everything right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Remember that even if the airline won't refund any portion of the ticket, they HAVE to give you back any Government taxes, landing fees etc involved with the ticket.

But, like ryanair, if they want to, they can impose a service charge equal or nearly equal to the taxes.

Effectively wiping out any refund.

the ticket is for the second week in november. so i dont want to leave it too long but might wait til the end of the week and see. ya id be on good terms with the sister. his father always takes his side (even when he giving out to me in public because he was annoyed at his father but he took it out on me) so it think the sister would be the better option to go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

LoopyL wrote: »
    (even when he giving out to me in public because he was annoyed at his father but he took it out on me) .

Doesn't sound like a guy I'd like to go on a 3-month holiday with, if he regularly humiliated you in public. You might lose a few bob, but think how much worse it would have been had you been on holiday together and then you found out what he was really like - it would be difficult getting back earlier than planned, and you would have lost a lot more. Maybe just look on it as a lesson in life!

*But try to get your money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

..and there is no chance you could make up with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Unfortunately the Dad paid so the Contract is with him.

The Airline won't even entertain giving a refund directly to you.

Advertisement