Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why can't I get an Irish Onion?

• 24-09-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

My first time in F+F. Thought it was best to ask those of you in the know - why can't I get Irish Onions? Seems to be broadly the case, in Dublin at least, that they're mostly dutch. Today, in the supermarket that's different because it's Irish, I had a choice of origin: Holland or UK. I went for the latter and, in fairness to the Brits, they look a damn sight better than the standard dutch muck.

I'm genuinely pleased to pick up an Irish cabbage or carrot; I felt a vague surge of patriotic pride when deliberately choosing Irish apples over Chilean apples (Chilean, for feck sake) during the week; I get notions that Ireland could conquer the world every time I pick up a red pepper that's grown here.

What is the story with all the foreign stuff in our supermarkets?

Do I need to travel to provincial towns to get Irish or do we export it? And, excuse my ignorance but do we have an onion season?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

cranks wrote: »
    My first time in F+F. Thought it was best to ask those of you in the know - why can't I get Irish Onions? Seems to be broadly the case, in Dublin at least, that they're mostly dutch. Today, in the supermarket that's different because it's Irish, I had a choice of origin: Holland or UK. I went for the latter and, in fairness to the Brits, they look a damn sight better than the standard dutch muck.

I'm genuinely pleased to pick up an Irish cabbage or carrot; I felt a vague surge of patriotic pride when deliberately choosing Irish apples over Chilean apples (Chilean, for feck sake) during the week; I get notions that Ireland could conquer the world every time I pick up a red pepper that's grown here.

Do I need to travel to provincial towns to get Irish or do we export it? And, excuse my ignorance but do we have an onion season?

Onions grew quite well in Ireland this year - cant think why supermarkets arnt stocking Irish onions.

The onion season should be ongoing with many crops already harvested

I suggest grow your own - they are not that hard to grew tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

gozunda wrote: »
    I suggest grow your own - they are not that hard to grew tbh...

A few onion sets and away with ya. As above, easy to sow and generally easy to save/store.
    Childhood memories of the old ladies thights hanging from the rafters in the shed stuffed full of onions:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

cranks wrote: »

There are loads of farmers markets that can get you fresh irish grown veg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Karen112 wrote: »
    There are loads of farmers markets that can get you fresh irish grown veg!

:rolleyes: you must be joking. Farmers markets in this republic of ours, are a total joke. Local produce, is probably less than forty percent. Priced are a total rip off. Total rip off. Total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Tora Bora wrote: »
    :rolleyes: you must be joking. Farmers markets in this republic of ours, are a total joke. Local produce, is probably less than forty percent. Priced are a total rip off. Total rip off. Total.

Ah, forgot how sarcasm doesn't come across in writing.......:p
    Onions are ridiculously easy to grow, if you only have a plant pot, you can grow them yourself. Sad to say, the major reason that they're imported is because they are easier/normally mass produced over there.
    Nil a fhios agam cen fath:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

the multinational retailers will supply what the majority of their customers are demanding and that is food as cheap as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Bizzum wrote: »
    A few onion sets and away with ya. As above, easy to sow and generally easy to save/store.
    Childhood memories of the old ladies thights hanging from the rafters in the shed stuffed full of onions:D
    Hee hee, I've just finished tying my onions up on blue baler twine. You could hang them round your neck like the French onion sellers in 'Allo, allo'. They are easy to grow, but this year for some reason my ones kept very small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

The IFA have been very soft on the whole Farmer's Market movement.

They have nothing to do with farmers and should never be allowed to use such a misleading name.

In a lot of cases I don't think any farmer could afford to sell veg through them either with the cost of the pitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

According to the FAO Ireland has an annual production of around 10,000 tons of onions....

Wonder where they all go?

Maybe they emigrate...

oh and the season for Irish onions in ireland is traditionally from September to April....

LINK

This from An Bord Bia
    Onions & Other Alliums
    Onions, scallions (spring onions) and leeks are the main alliums grown and consumed in Ireland. Each
    crop has very specific growing, harvesting and handling requirements. There are several types of onions
    grown in Ireland distinguished by their colours, with brown (most popular by far) red and white onions
    being most in demand. Only a few areas in Ireland grow onions, namely in counties Cork, Wexford and
    Meath. Historically, the Irish onion has been viewed as a ‘lesser class’ onion partly due to outer skin
    ‘blemishes’ brought on largely due to higher rainfall experienced, especially should the crop be rained
    on at harvest time. Although the onion is perfectly fit for human consumption, blemishes on the outer
    skin layer would influence perceived quality by consumers (this ‘blemished skin’ is the peeled off outer
    layers and is not consumed in any case). However, with recent advances in cultivation, growing
    techniques and the curing process, ‘the Irish onion’ is now competing with imported onions and gaining
    market share and shelf space. Growers are at present seeking to build the critical mass to develop a
    distinct ‘Irish onion’ season with retail multiples.

An "Irish Onion" begora - will it have a bit of the brogue I wonder?

LINK

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

+1 tora, I hear some of them veg sellers at the markets buy their stuff in lidl/aldi and 'pretend' its homegrown stuff they're selling.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Bandon coop grows a heap of onions in west cork ,don,t know where they go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Seasonal crop OP, they will have been harvested around about now and then cured by blowing hot air through them for about 10 days. The below company supplies them to I think Tesco so you could try contacting them to see when they will be in store.

http://www.countrycrest.ie/onions-2.html
    Country Crest is Irelands largest and newest grower and packer of onions, providing all year round supplies of best quality and a wide range of onions including browns, reds and shallots.

Country Crest is working with Irish growers to increase the production of Irish grown onions over the coming years, reviving an industry that was stagnant.

With this in mind, Country Crest have invested approx €4 million in grading, packaging and primary storage and drying facilities over two years. Our new state of the art 3000ton storage and drying facility was completed for the harvesting of the 2007 Irish onion crop.

Country Crest is also an Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association (IOFGA) registered packer of organic onions.

P.S Irish apples are muck compared to Chilean unless they are new season.

Advertisement