Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green clothes banks

Options
  • 24-09-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I notice that the green clothes banks that are used by the Samarithans I think, have been removed from carparks recently. I have heard that the reason for this is that Donegal County Council wants to charge the Samarithans for using the car parks or wherever for having the banks there. Does anybody know if this is true because if it is I think its a disgrace that a charity should be charged like that when they are only trying to raise money to help people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Hadn't heard about this.

On the face of it, removing the charity collection bins seems cold hearted, but the council may be in a no win situation here; if they allow this charity to put recycling bin here, then how can they stop any other charity putting in theirs? Pretty soon you could have 10+ clothes bins for various charities, then various glass/alu bins etc for different charities...

Better getting rid of them now and consult on how the best way may be to regulate this in the future, then implement a scheme that everyone is happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

News to me but we will see if its definite or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Saw today that there are ISPCC Clothes Banks in the main Donegal Car Park; perhaps they are paying Donegal Co Co a fee or were the first ones to think of it and reached some agreement with the council.

Suppose the only way to say for sure is to contact the council and ask directly what their policy is on the whole matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I'd like to think it wasn't true, hopefully not.

Advertisement