Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seperate Banlist

Options
  • 24-09-2011 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Is there any chance we could have a seperate boards.ie banlist. One for shills and spammers and the other for regular members who actually got banned.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Any particular reason for wanting to having separate lists?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Which list are you looking at?

Spammers tend to be tagged spammer.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If no reason for the ban is entered it defaults to spammer, so it's possible that regular posters could end up on the wrong list inadvertently. There's no real reason for splitting them imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

The reason being is that it can be hard to find the reason why a user may have been sitebanned. Usually it may say trolling or give reasons etc. They disappear off the banlist extremely quickly due to the presence of the spam bannings.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is there any chance we could have "bamboozling" on the boards.ie banlist?

kthxbai

• Advertisement

The reason being is that it can be hard to find the reason why a user may have been sitebanned. Usually it may say trolling or give reasons etc. They disappear off the banlist extremely quickly due to the presence of the spam bannings.

And why do you need to know that? The information is still available to mods and admins should they need it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Is there any chance we could have "bamboozling" on the boards.ie banlist?

kthxbai

:rolleyes:

How is your zombie/fairy/myth thingy getting along?
    Zaph wrote: »
    And why do you need to know that? The information is still available to mods and admins should they need it.

I know it is, but for the regular user it can be quite a surprise when a user gets suddenly site banned. For example I was strolling through the soccer forum the other night and I saw that there was a big banned beside Cork Man's name. I went to the banlist to see why but because the banlist was inundated with spam I couldn't find out.

It would be nice to know why users got banned, you know?

I know it is, but for the regular user it can be quite a surprise when a user gets suddenly site banned. For example I was strolling through the soccer forum the other night and I saw that there was a big banned beside Cork Man's name. I went to the banlist to see why but because the banlist was inundated spam I couldn't find out.

So it's to satisfy your morbid curiosity/nosiness? Hardly a good enough reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I know it is, but for the regular user it can be quite a surprise when a user gets suddenly site banned. For example I was strolling through the soccer forum the other night and I saw that there was a big banned beside Cork Man's name. I went to the banlist to see why but because the banlist was inundated with spam I couldn't find out.

If you have a look in the prison forum you will see why he was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So it's to satisfy your morbid curiosity/nosiness? Hardly a good enough reason.

It's the not knowing why someone was banned that eats away at the soul, like someone having lost a family member or friend in the Stalinist purges.:(

I think the entire list from day 1 should be on display, excluding the spammers, because those bans speak for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

You could always check the user's recent posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

D wrote: »
    You could always check the user's recent posts...

Sometimes the reason isn't evident when you do that e.g. when it's discovered that a user has multiple accounts and there's an instant ban, and there's no mention of this in any forum used by the banned member. If someone gets banned for sending abusive PMs, that's also not evident in the post history.

A complete listing might also make people think twice about participating in activities which are likely to get them turfed into oblivion:eek:.

There is a complete alphabetical list available to admins, although I know I have rarely ever needed to look at it. There are currently over 26,000 names listed on it. Making this list generally available and searchable would place an unnecessary additional load on the already stretched search function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I just had a look at the ban list,and Gordon banned 23 people yesterday,how can he do that if he isnt an admin anymore?

Gordon still has admin rights, although he is not an active admin. A small number of people retain these rights as they still provide valuable input regarding the running of the site in the admin forum. Gordon only exercised his banning powers because of the extreme spamming that was taking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

fxigl.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I just had a look at the ban list,and Gordon banned 23 people yesterday,how can he do that if he isnt an admin anymore?

Where is the list?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is there any chance we could have a seperate boards.ie banlist. One for shills and spammers and the other for regular members who actually got banned.

Who cares?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I hacked teh Gibson! If you see me banning spammers then you can be sure we're being hit hard by them! :D

Highly honoured to have a fffffuuuuu in my name, thank you, sir Daemos :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

still provide valuable input

Now that the secret is out we need his valuable input in the Prison forum. Best prison admin EVER!

Tom Dunne & Zaph are still heroes too ofc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why is the ban list viewable for non-mods in the first place?

No idea, I presume it's a "feature" of vBulletin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

No idea, I presume it's a "feature" of vBulletin.

I think it was made by Regi back in the day? Or some admin. Not a standard vBulletin thing back then. There was a discussion once about SA* having a viewable ban list and its "merits" and then one was added to boards.ie

linky....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3557193

*Something awful

[EDIT] found link and it was a vBulletin thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think it was made by Regi back in the day? Or some admin. Not a standard vBulletin thing back then. There was a discussion once about SA* having a viewable ban list and its "merits" and then one was added to boards.ie

linky....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3557193

*Something awful

[EDIT] found link and it was a vBulletin thing..
    Such knowledge can surely only be gained by actually _being_ on the ban list at one stage in your past hmmmm??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Gordon wrote: »
    Such knowledge can surely only be gained by actually _being_ on the ban list at one stage in your past hmmmm??!

No.

Noted the lack of thanks for my informative answer though.

Humans. go figure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No.

Noted the lack of thanks for my informative answer though.

Humans. go figure.....

Thanks just wouldn't be enough for such an impressive display of knowledge from a relative newbie here.

It must be nigh on impossibe to keep track of banned accounts with all the differerent ways users can connect to the internet these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think the banlist is a welcome bit of transparency, tbh.

I don't think it needs to be explored by the development team though. They have their hands full as it is on the backend of keeping this website running and growing smoothly.

You can, and I have, always PM a relevant moderator to ask why a user was banned, and they will usually be able to tell you. I agree that it's simply a courtesy to know, up to an extent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bans should be published in the court pages of the local papers IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

because its interesting..i like to have a gander at it every now and then and see which fuktards have got em selves banned

Advertisement