Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC constant router resets...

• 24-09-2011 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experienced this? Happens at least once a week at parents house, 2-3 times a week at my college house, and several friends having same problems too.

Rang UPC, they told me to deal with it and to use the wifi password written under the router..... They don't care or support the fact I want a different wifi key and custom settings such as port forwarding etc...

Im aware you can save your router configuration your pc and re-upload it when required, but it's annoying having to do this so often!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

This was happening to a friend of mine. Each time it would wipe out all the port forwards he had set up, so it meant he couldn't connect to his home PC remotely. He complained and they swapped out the Thomson Router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jclally

I've been having this problem for months. They say its a problem with their routers that they know about and are working to fix. Month later still the same line, they wont send me a new router as they say when they find a fix it itll resolve the.problem without the need for a replacement. More bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭hadepsx

rite go to 192.168.1.1, press ok on pop up, go to advanced make sure every box bar remove config is ticked, click apply,go to firewall,options,make sure every box is unticked,apply, that'll give you good lag free conx.then go to wireless, basic, put wifi channel to 1 or 13 to avoid wifi overload, apply, then go to wireless advanced, disable all wpa secuirity, then scroll down to wep encription,click enable,put encription to 64 bit,make sure shared key is on optional,and 802.1 is disabled, in network key 1 put in a personal code say ur mobile number, leave d rest alone.click apply at bottom, wait, then go back up to wps cofig is disabled,click apply. this worked for me, i was shown this by a upc technician. i had exactly d same problems as u, but now its all very steady,doesnt disconx and im gettin my full speed and its lagfree for my blackops;):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

So basically you are weakening your Wireless encryption to the point where it's easy to crack! Is that what you really want? Why not turn off WiFi altogether and connect to the router via cable or through some power line adapters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hadepsx wrote: »
    rite go to 192.168.1.1, press ok on pop up, go to advanced make sure every box bar remove config is ticked, click apply,go to firewall,options,make sure every box is unticked,apply, that'll give you good lag free conx.then go to wireless, basic, put wifi channel to 1 or 13 to avoid wifi overload, apply, then go to wireless advanced, disable all wpa secuirity, then scroll down to wep encription,click enable,put encription to 64 bit,make sure shared key is on optional,and 802.1 is disabled, in network key 1 put in a personal code say ur mobile number, leave d rest alone.click apply at bottom, wait, then go back up to wps cofig is disabled,click apply. this worked for me, i was shown this by a upc technician. i had exactly d same problems as u, but now its all very steady,doesnt disconx and im gettin my full speed and its lagfree for my blackops;):pac:

im sorry, but if you really think that this is a solution, then your an idiot.

i dont care if i get a ban/infraction/warning or what ever, but seriously... wtf

• Advertisement

skittle was only showing him exactly what i was shown, by upc guy, to keep router from disconnecting, even if u had power plugs/eithernet cable, that doesnt stop disconx. it happened to me also with eithernet. DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER SOLDER BOY, AND YE I HOPE U GET BANNED:rolleyes:

im not getting disconnected. my router's custom settings get wiped and reset to factory default.

well same was happening to me custom settings gettin wiped etc this is what stopped my problem, im just passing on an option that MIGHT HELP, wasted my time obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

There is some issue with the firmware in the Thompson modem imo.

I upgraded to the 50Mb some months ago, it was rock solid 24x7 for at least 3 to 4 weeks (never reset itself). Then it went crazy, constantly resetting itself at times and on some occasions losing all the settings I made (luckily I had experienced this on the old Cisco modem and had them backed up). Called UPC and engineer came out and replaced the modem, said my line was fine.

New modem worked fine for 3 to 4 weeks again. Then the same problem comes back. What I noticed was the firmware had changed from the default version they are built with to the Apr 29 2011 version.

This AM I had enough, again every 5 mins the modem resets (I work from home so can't work or make phone calls). Called UPC and they don't have answers, except to send out an engineer again. He will replace the modem and we start the process again (assuming it does not come with the newer firmware by default).

UPC are aware of this but don't have the solution :mad:

Anyone with these problems must ring UPC, they tell me they are logging them and I assume when enough people complain they might get their ass in gear to get a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

I'm on the 50mb and have had 5 disconnects/router resets during the day and 2 in the last hour.

Very annoying and I'll call to log this tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

On the 50mb too and getting disconnects, rang them today, engineer coming out on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adr

I have the same problem with my UPC Cisco router. It was very stable for the last 2 years but it changed last week. It keeps rebooting every hour or so. Rang UPC and they asked me to change wi fi encryption to WEP. Exactly as hadepsx described a few posts above. Not sure how it's going to help (as it worked fine with WPA2 for 2 years) for but I will monitor the connection.

Didn't last long... it has just rebooted with new WEP settings.

adr, just be careful as WEP is VERY un-secure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭carveone

Just to add that we just got UPC in and the router is doing that too. I can see it as it's near the TV and every hour or so the leds start flashing indicating a reset.

And If they think I'm enabling WEP they can think again...

Edit: As far as I'm concerned this means the service is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Very same with ours here, has happened 4 or 5 times today so far. Will have to give them a ring, its getting annoying at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Decky86

Think mine could be worst of all.. Used to just reset every ten mins.. Now it wont pick up any internet! The first two lights come on and then at the US light it just flashes.. I really wish UPC were reading this .. Cos i just want to say what a pile of whale-**** they are providing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

In the settings for the modem try turning off ip flood detection under firewall-options
    See if that works

I have used the same settings for over a year and it was fine until about 2 weeks ago. And by settings I actually mean encryption type changed to WPA2 from factory WEP. Is it possible that they changed sth recently on their side and it started causing problems? I also noticed that AC adapter is quite warm but I never checked it before so this could be normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Same here. Called them and they said to login to Modem: http://192.168.1.1/ -> Setup -> LAN IP Address Management -> Change Lease Time to 500000 or so. This number indicates when modem will request new IP number which all of a sudden causes some issues for some people. Problem started for me about 1.5 weeks ago. When connection resets my internet is completely down. I have to turn off modem -> request new IP address via ipconfig option in the DOS screen or restart computer. Its such a pain in the a** The lease time change did help a little but it still happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Experiencing a similar issue. Also have UPC phone and when making an outbound call 9 times out of 10 I get a beep beep beep noise rather than a dial tone. Inbound calls also randomly disconnect - assuming since either the line drops or the modem reboots. Called UPC and an engineer is coming out.

To help me validate this can someone suggest a hood way to log the uptime of the router / connection? I'm on a mac. There is a logging ature on the router but UPC seem to have disabled this along with the other things they don't want us accessing. Can't understand why you'd disable logging! Thanks

It's seems that my old router was the issue. UPC technician called in last Thur, replaced my Cisco modem/router for a new one and resets stopped. Encryption is set to WPA and no reboots since last Thur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

For anyone with the cisco brick the only solution is bug upc that hard that they will eventually come and install a scientific atlanta modem and bridge a netgear router off it, I had a lad call to me 6 times eventually he wouldn't come in and kept passing it on to his boss.

Two days later his boss came and setup the scientific/netgear combo and all fine six months later, I asked his boss was it the cisco routers and he said they were breaking their hearts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

adr wrote: »
    It's seems that my old router was the issue. UPC technician called in last Thur, replaced my Cisco modem/router for a new one and resets stopped. Encryption is set to WPA and no reboots since last Thur.

It will start up again, I had 3 cisco's..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

miftha wrote: »
    There is some issue with the firmware in the Thompson modem imo.

I upgraded to the 50Mb some months ago, it was rock solid 24x7 for at least 3 to 4 weeks (never reset itself). Then it went crazy, constantly resetting itself at times and on some occasions losing all the settings I made (luckily I had experienced this on the old Cisco modem and had them backed up). Called UPC and engineer came out and replaced the modem, said my line was fine.

New modem worked fine for 3 to 4 weeks again. Then the same problem comes back. What I noticed was the firmware had changed from the default version they are built with to the Apr 29 2011 version.

This AM I had enough, again every 5 mins the modem resets (I work from home so can't work or make phone calls). Called UPC and they don't have answers, except to send out an engineer again. He will replace the modem and we start the process again (assuming it does not come with the newer firmware by default).

UPC are aware of this but don't have the solution :mad:

Anyone with these problems must ring UPC, they tell me they are logging them and I assume when enough people complain they might get their ass in gear to get a fix.

Engineer came, modem replaced (3rd one). It took 20 mins for it to reboot!!! It has rebooted a few times every day since.

Checked the firmware and initially it was 2010, within minutes it was the Apr 2011 version (doh!!).

Engineer told me he knows of 2 others with exact same issue (thomson modems)!!

Getting the complete run around from UPC tech support. Even to the point of telling me the modem is not rebooting :mad: I must be imagining the net dying, the phone dying in the middle of calls, the modem hanging after a number of reboots with all lights on and no net or phone (only solution is a power cycle)!

yeah thats actually a reasonable response from UPC....

its not happening at all... so all hundreds if not thousands of people are imagining it....

quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Chickenwing

Yeah I have the Cisco Box and it goes off almost exactly every hour!! It doesn't bother me too much as it comes back on after about 30 seconds ..... But the crappy thing is if I'm downloading something big on PS3 such as an update etc. It says connection interrupted and I have to start again.

Is it anything to do with your area? As I know a few other people experiencing this problem too. HOW DO I FIX IT :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

rite go to 192.168.1.1, press ok on pop up, go to advanced make sure every box bar remove config is ticked

Ok , firstly.... you completely missed that 192 yadyada takes you to the admin list filled with options NOT tick boxes.
    You also mentioned "remove config", Im sure you meant REMOTE CONFIG? And that is located in the advanced settings -> options - section.
    go to firewall,options,make sure every box is unticked,apply, that'll give you good lag free conx.

Really? How about if your SNR level is off? or if you range on wifi is diminished OR if the line is congested etc. This is NOT a magic bullet for lag free connection as you put it.
    then go to wireless, basic, put wifi channel to 1 or 13 to avoid wifi overload,

Lolz, wut? "Wifi overload" ?? I dont know where to start with that one! Can you explain this term please.
    The correct way to approach your wireless channel set up would be to scan for any neighboring wifi networks using inssider or wlan netsh on CMD. This will help avoiding wifi cross talk with contending wifi networks. Note that any channels can be used for that not just 1 and 13 as you put it.
    then go to wireless advanced, disable all wpa secuirity, then scroll down to wep encription,click enable,put encription to 64 bit,make sure shared key is on optional,and 802.1 is disabled, in network key 1 put in a personal code say ur mobile number, leave d rest alone.click apply at bottom, wait, then go back up to wps cofig is disabled,click apply.

So how exactly will editing your wireless security effect the visibility of your network or the modem resetting? Please elaborate? What your saying makes less than no sense. Your security is simply the lock that guards your connection and has zero effect on the visibility of your sid... go ahead, disable your security completely and you'll see it has no effect at all o your wifi broadcast or your modem resetting.
    this worked for me, i was shown this by a upc technician. i had exactly d same problems as u, but now its all very steady,doesnt disconx and im gettin my full speed and its lagfree for my blackops;):pac:

You mentioned not to shoot the messenger... tbh, I think what your posting here is totally misleading to anyone genuinly looking for answers, dangerous to their home connection security, full of massive factuall errors and completely degrades the integrity of the forum. When someone tells me "I heard this works on boards" its posts like this that makes me completely disregard that comment.

As to why these "procedures" worked.... they didnt, they make no technical sense at all and more than likely the tech performed other work and to save time and effort said that these changes were what made a difference. he ether effected the signal feed, replaced the cable modem itself or performed a factory reset to the unit resolving any firmware errors.

I wouldnt advise anyone to follow these steps, if you find the modem resetting to factory defaults I would hard reset the unit and make a small change so you can know the next time it happens - if it happens - and if it does call their center, have a check done remotly and get a guy out if you need it. DONT FOLLOW THIS VERY ILL INFORMED POST PASSED OFF AS ADVICE.

I had the issue. Spoke to UPC support on Twitter(@UPC_HelpsYou_IE). They said they re-synced my modem. This seems to solve the problem.

My modem was restarting itself when I pluged in an ethernet cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

All we can hope for is that they will eventually run out of stock on this useless piece of sh1te, I got my third Cisco box yesterday. The first box lasted all of 2 minutes when the installer guy realised it was broke so he swapped it for a second one and I got a replacement yesterday. The guy just handed me a new box, didn't even bother running diagnostics. They're throwing out replacements like confetti at a wedding by the looks of it, I'd say the broadband support people can't wait until they're all gone.

UPC must have gotten a large consignment of that router for about a penny a box, there's no other logical explanation as to why they haven't junked them at this stage and gone for a different box.

My Revo iBlik Internet radio still can't maintain a Wi-Fi connection to the router for more than two minutes. I sent it back to the UK for a warranty repair, they tested it, sent it back to me and said it's working fine. If anyone knows of a setting that might sort out that problem I'd be grateful.

Advertisement