Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC constant router resets...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 exoteric

I rang UPC about it and they told me that it was to do with lease time settings on the router. I logged in to router and lo and behold, my lease time in "LAN IP Address Management" was set to 3600 seconds which resets your lease to the server every 60 mins. I changed this to 60480 which is 1 day. It seems to be working for me so far! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i dont think thats the problem exoteric, as my lease time is also 3600 seconds in my college house and no resets while at home it resets all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Can I just say my Cisco's lease time is 3600 seconds also, and it never resets.
    I'm with UPC since August.
    The only problem I have is that my "Receive power level" goes over 22.5dBmV some days, and that's way off the norm.

Mmmm, well it seemed to be working for me last night, dont claim to be an expert on these things though. I'm logged in with UPC for a Tech support call back. We'll see what they say! I have heard that Cisco in general dont have a great name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭squonk

Touch wood but setting the lease time settings to 99999 or something like that seems to have worked for me as well. Given the problem I had, the solution doesn't seem to make any sense. My connection dropped periodically. I wasn't able to time it exactly but it did seem to drop more regularly than once every hour. On the face of it I would say that this didn't actually solve my issue but that there is something else at play but, for now - or last night at least, my connection held solid again for the first time in a while. I'll continue to monitor. I don't want to have to get to the stage of dealing with their support and having callouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

squonk wrote: »
    Touch wood but setting the lease time settings to 99999 or something like that seems to have worked for me as well. Given the problem I had, the solution doesn't seem to make any sense. My connection dropped periodically. I wasn't able to time it exactly but it did seem to drop more regularly than once every hour. On the face of it I would say that this didn't actually solve my issue but that there is something else at play but, for now - or last night at least, my connection held solid again for the first time in a while. I'll continue to monitor. I don't want to have to get to the stage of dealing with their support and having callouts.

When you say you will continue to monitor, is that just looking out for drops through your browser and web apps or you actually using some monitoring software / logging tool to help you see the trends? If that latter, what OS are you on? I'm looking for such a solution for Mac so I can properly monitor the stability (or lack thereof) on my line.

Good to hear that squonk. I got a call from a technician in UPC. They were able to access my router remotely. Apparently my port settings were wrong, he said the router was switching between different ports all the time. Anyway the problem seems to be solved now. I have to say, I know UPC have a bad name when it comes to customer support but they have been pretty prompt in contacting me for this issue. Maybe giving them a call would be a good idea just to get a proper resolution to your problem. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

m_stan wrote: »
    When you say you will continue to monitor, is that just looking out for drops through your browser and web apps or you actually using some monitoring software / logging tool to help you see the trends? If that latter, what OS are you on? I'm looking for such a solution for Mac so I can properly monitor the stability (or lack thereof) on my line.

If you have a dynamic dns account (something like www.myhorriblebroadbandservice.dyndns.com) which points to the WAN IP address of your router you can use www.pingdom.com to keep track of your uptime. You might need to enable ping response on the router. Pingdom uses remote servers all over the world to ping a target IP address (i.e your router) periodically and monitors for a response. It is free for 1 system - you pay for multiple ones. Pingdom will record your routers uptime 24/7, generate nice graphs and logs etc and even send you email or text when it goes down. PM me if you want more info about setting this up. I found it very helpful to have hard data when dealing with ISPs. It works with any OS as it's web based and you don't need to leave a PC on 24/7, just the cable modem and router.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

It worked for a while again. Now since yesterday I am having the same problems again. After 1 hour I am losing internet. Reset Router or anything like that doesn't work. Only reboot computer helps. Its s annoying. Already had changed lease time to 50.000 or so. Thats def. not helping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

hi ! Some help please !
    i try to go in the router menu . i try the user name and password ( root or admin ) but it not working.. i have a Cisco wireless router (upc).. Thanks

• Advertisement

hi ! Some help please !
    i try to go in the router menu . i try the user name and password ( root or admin ) but it not working.. i have a Cisco wireless router (upc).. Thanks
    Leave both boxes blank, and hit enter. I think thats how you do it, can't remember for sure.

hi ! Some help please !

There is no password by defualt, just click ok and leave username and password blank.
    My cisco had a complete seizure This Morning, internet was running incredibly slow the night before and continued into the next morning, it was just unusable. connection coming and going.. then I couldn't even connect to the wireless, I was getting a good signal, but the SSID was playing hide and seek with me, couldn't get it to stay put...
    eventually everything stabilized and i had a good Cisco afternoon/ evening.
    Rubbish modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭squonk

m_stan wrote: »

I wasn't going to set up anything elaborate really, just through my browser. I might use pingdom as suggested earlier if needs be but I'm still having excellent service right now so fingers crossed. Ideally I wish UPC would enable the logs on their routers. Maybe for a lot of people it wouldn't be immediately useful but for those of us who work in the tech sector and are techy inclined, it'd take us a lot of the way to figuring out a solution on our own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

Leave both boxes blank, and hit enter. I think thats how you do it, can't remember for sure.

thanks !
    In the end i get a new router from UPC ..thomson..
    ONE PROBLEM again.. all my devices are connected BUT not my network hard drive GoFlex home.
    i can not see it in any of my computers.
    Is the usb connection in the back of the router for a hard drive ? is not working for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

miftha wrote: »
    Engineer came, modem replaced (3rd one). It took 20 mins for it to reboot!!! It has rebooted a few times every day since.

Checked the firmware and initially it was 2010, within minutes it was the Apr 2011 version (doh!!).

Engineer told me he knows of 2 others with exact same issue (thomson modems)!!

Getting the complete run around from UPC tech support. Even to the point of telling me the modem is not rebooting :mad: I must be imagining the net dying, the phone dying in the middle of calls, the modem hanging after a number of reboots with all lights on and no net or phone (only solution is a power cycle)!

Got a new firmware for the Thomson (dated Sept 2011) from UPC after a lot of run around. Modem is not crashing anymore (20+ days without a crash). The firmware is the issue as I suspected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Hey Lads, hate to drag up an old post - but I've just started having the same problems as have been reported here with the Cisco EPC2425 router. It was fine up until christmas. I was away from the house over the christmas and had it plugged out. When I plugged it back in, the problems started. Like others have reported, it restarts itself randomly and I lose all my settings. Its incredibly annoying as I have a very specific setup in the house.

Did anyone manage to find a solution to this? Anyway to force a firmware update on the cisco router? And actually, can someone tell me what the latest firmware is?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 war10ck

Zapho wrote: »
    Hey Lads, hate to drag up an old post - but I've just started having the same problems as have been reported here with the Cisco EPC2425 router. It was fine up until christmas. I was away from the house over the christmas and had it plugged out. When I plugged it back in, the problems started. Like others have reported, it restarts itself randomly and I lose all my settings. Its incredibly annoying as I have a very specific setup in the house.

Did anyone manage to find a solution to this? Anyway to force a firmware update on the cisco router? And actually, can someone tell me what the latest firmware is?

You are not alone...made a call to UPC and I'm waiting for their response...

Zapho wrote: »

My Firmware version ends with 111007s_upc
    It was updated late November I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I had this problem on and off for the past month or so: I could only tell it was happening due it to it being linked to an automatic monitored alarm that went off when the line dropped, even though it was only using the phone line, not data.

Cutting a long story short, I called them and it turned out that it was my "lease time" that was wrong. It was changed to "-1" and all is well now.

If you want to try it for yourself, and avoid customer care:

192.168.1.1 - or your modem's IP
    - Setup
    - Basic Settings // LAN IP address management
    - Lease time - Change to -1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

miftha wrote: »
    Got a new firmware for the Thomson (dated Sept 2011) from UPC after a lot of run around. Modem is not crashing anymore (20+ days without a crash). The firmware is the issue as I suspected.

Miftha how can you tell what the latest firmware is??

I have a Tech coming out today....again....as we're having the same problem you were having. Right down to the tech support saying that there's nothing wrong and we're not getting disconnects!! (We're on our 2nd Thomson modem)

Cheers :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm on my second thomson router as well. I've done a lot of testing and have come to the conclusion that this router has problems with Wireless N devices.
    The router will be fine when set to a/b/g but as soon as an N device joins the wireless network the router reboots. I have confirmed this with three different laptops and two wireless card vendors.

UPC need to do a lot testing on the next cable modem they release. I remember people reporting on trials here so how did these issues not get picked up? If they had any sense they would switch back to a modem only model and allow people to choose their own routers.

LoGiE

Advertisement