Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help! stitch came out on dog

• 24-09-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of help, my dog Millie had surgery Friday of last week, she's due back to get them out on Monday.
    Today I noticed one of the stitches has come out and the wound is opened, the area is clean and not bleeding but is a little red and slighlty swoolen looking.

Is there anything I could put onto it for the mean time to prevent infection, just to get by til the morning as i'm going to ring the vets to see what she thinks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

If she is due to get stitches out on Monday, I wouldn't worry too much. You can clean the area using cooled down boiled water with some salt in it, but if its an open 'sore' looking wound, it may sting the dog. Has the dog been at the stitches or was she given a collar/cone to stop her getting at them? If a dog is not wearing a collar/cone and licks at the stitches, they may get infected or irritated. Don't panic, just keep the area clean and if you have a collar./cone, put it back on til you can get her to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I would agree with Ailishcrehan, I wouldn't really worry too much if she's due to have the sutures removed tomorrow. What I will say is make sure it's clean and make sure she doesn't get at the wound until you can get her to the vet tomorrow. Generally vets say ten days for sutures to stay in but a lot of the time it's no harm if one comes out. If it looks like it's sore and swollen just keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't get any worse. Hope all goes well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Thanks for the replies guys, she can get at the wound easily as the vet didn't put a cone on her as she can still reach it with her back legs. I was just a bit worried as it looks quite big to be honest.

I tried ringing the vets but it's closed for the weekend.

Advertisement