Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

warts on cattle

• 24-09-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

anyone have a cure for warts, be it medical or mystical.

have a few incalf heifers with bad warts on their faces and foreheads.
    have tried all sorts including vaccines, to no avail.

open to all suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

dar31 wrote: »

open to all suggestions

Obtain the urine of a red haired virgin.
    Consume warm, on the first of the next month,standing on one leg, facing east.
    Say three hail marys.
    Spin around seven (not 6, nor 8) times.
    Drink a bottle of whiskey.

Bound to work:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

open to all suggestions

What vaccines did you try?

Nothing really works, they will eventually fall off (bit boring, and frustrating, totally true).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

how big are they? we had one a few years ago and we put cable ties on them and the rings for lambs tails, we tightened the cable ties a bit each day, was a disgusting job, wear gloves. Eventually we got rid of them all. Have a heifer at the minute with a load of warts on 1 spin , i am using a castor oil based cream and tthey are softening up , then i will try to pull then off:eek: with gloves again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Had a Weanling like that a few years ago. Vet said give it time and they would clear up. I don't think it's genetic something like the cold sore virus if I recall that the animal is suceptible to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

similer to yourself got a bad outbreak of warts never having any before.Showed them to the vet said if they bled it would stimulate an anti virus.Also was told if you pulled some of and fed them back to the animal it would also do.
    Think myself time is the cure nearly all gone now after about six months,some of the animals had them really bad hardly any skin showing on their heads or necks with eyes closed even. It did not seem to effect them that much but were totally unsellable. A rotten thing hope i dont see it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

raindodger wrote: »
    similer to yourself got a bad outbreak of warts never having any before.Showed them to the vet said if they bled it would stimulate an anti virus.Also was told if you pulled some of and fed them back to the animal it would also do.
    Think myself time is the cure nearly all gone now after about six months,some of the animals had them really bad hardly any skin showing on their heads or necks with eyes closed even. It did not seem to effect them that much but were totally unsellable. A rotten thing hope i dont see it again

its fairly rough alright, 6 of them have warts, ranging from the size of a tennis ball hanging under chin, and the worst one is as you described.
    they have them all summer, and we have tried bleeding them.
    the vet has seen them a few times, and said time is the biggest factor, he was indifferent to the vaccine, but we got it made up anyhow.
    the vaccine was made up from wart from the infected animals.

the problem now is, it is unlikely the 2 worst ones will have cleared up enough before housing in mid nov., and its very likely they will develop an infection if housed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

its fairly rough alright, 6 of them have warts, ranging from the size of a tennis ball hanging under chin, and the worst one is as you described.
    the vet has seen them a few times, and said time is the biggest factor, he was indifferent to the vaccine, but we got it made up anyhow.

the problem now is, it is unlikely the 2 worst ones will have cleared up enough before housing in mid nov., and its very likely they will develop an infection if housed

Did the vet make up just one vaccine or 6 separate vaccines for each animals, probably not due to the cost

Did the vet make up just one vaccine or 6 separate vaccines for each animals, probably not due to the cost

just the one with warts from the two worst ones.

think it was around €80 a go, plus vet fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan1 wrote: »
    Have a heifer at the minute with a load of warts on 1 spin , will try to pull then off:eek:

Watch for the kick! :)

• Advertisement

if they are that bad , maggots can start in them:mad: which is even worse , the heifer we did was totally gross but we got rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

open to all suggestions
    I had a whitehead covered in warts a number of years ago.It was shocking to look at.It started just in front of his front legs and all the way up to and around his head.The vet told me to paint castor oil on to the warts with a brush two or three times a week and it would make them soft and then they would fall off.Im 99 percent sure castor oil was the name of it.Within a month they were all gone.Burnt oil would prob work as well if u wanted to go down that road but thats a debate in its self if it should be used.

how big are they? we had one a few years ago and we put cable ties on them and the rings for lambs tails, we tightened the cable ties a bit each day, was a disgusting job, wear gloves.

That sounds really cruel too, they must have suffered a lot.

LC

LostCovey wrote: »
    That sounds really cruel too, they must have suffered a lot.

LC
    how? the rubber ring stops the blood flow and they fall off , the cable tie is the same ... would you prefer we left it alone and let maggots infest in it?

how? the rubber ring stops the blood flow and they fall off , the cable tie is the same ... would you prefer we left it alone and let maggots infest in it?

Yes, whelan1, I fully understand how applying a cable tie will eventually make them fall off. Stopping the blood flow to tissue causes gangrene. The cable ties cause gangrene, which is intensely painful, as anyone who has had it will tell you. There are totally painless ways of dealing with /preventing maggot infestation.

Most people's obsessions with warts are cosmetic, because they will fall off by themselves eventually when the animal's immune system attacks them.
    LC

we did this under veternary reccommendation, he told us its a waste of time doing anything else but as per usual we shall agree to differ

we did this under veternary reccommendation, he told us its a waste of time doing anything else but as per usual we shall agree to differ

I have no problem with agreeing to differ, whelan1.

Maybe veterinary recommendations aren't always perfect. Maybe not all vets are right in everything they say. Vets used to cut tails off dogs too, and trim their ears and now it's banned. Times move on, some people (and maybe some vets) don't.

I think you have to use your own judgement too if something is recommended that is obviously barbaric. Nobody would suggest removing a human skin tumour like that (and a wart is a benign tumour after all). Nobody would do that to a pet dog, nor to a racehorse. They would be jailed.

I don't see why it's OK to do it to a heifer. Especially for a condition that always cures itself, eventually.

I am agreeing to differ, just explaining why I differ.

LostCovey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I had cupla heifers with bad warts. They fell off over the summer. Vet told me to keep an eye on them for infection, but by autumn when I was ready to sell they were clean. I don't think anything will speed up the process, but some people feel that they have to 'do' something. Time is the cure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Glad to see a couple of you are agreeing to differ.

Perhaps the thread can stay open as long as you do, and leave it at that. :)

(Don't mind me modding - I'll be gone soon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Dades wrote: »
    (Don't mind me modding - I'll be gone soon)

Where are you going? And where is JohnGalway gone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bizzum wrote: »
    Where are you going? And where is JohnGalway gone?
    See here. :)
    (I'm not going anywhere per se I just won't need to be in F&F!)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

castor oil daily is a great job if heifers have them on their elder. not sure would that work with warts on the face.

had a heifer one year with them coming up to calving and the warts started to bleed however she calved and calf sucked the warts clean off her. they never came back:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

How'd this fair out for you? I notice this eve i have an 18 mth heifer that gone to bull a few weeks with a wart the size of a tennis ball on her udder.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

i took a smallish wart over a heifers eyelid off with the dehorner last week.worked well she is nearly healed up now

adne wrote: »
    How'd this fair out for you? I notice this eve i have an 18 mth heifer that gone to bull a few weeks with a wart the size of a tennis ball on her udder.

they all got the vaccine, and the warts have cured up on most of them.
    couldnt tell ya if it was the vaccine or just time that worked.
    the one that was really bad, didnt cure up at all, they seemed to die, but didnt fall off

Advertisement