Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free to air

Options
  • 25-09-2011 1:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know any decent priced people who could install free to air for me.even rte like the saoirview would do.i have the dish and lead.just need box and get it set up.i was quoted 200 for both boxes and set up which is ok

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You can set Saorview up yourself. If you have a Saorview compatable TV just connect an aerial to it and scan. If you have a non Saorview TV, get a Saorview Box - Argos have them for about 50 euro I thnk, connect the aerial to it and it to your tv through your scart lead or hdmi and scan. You don't need a Dish for Saorview, just an aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I assume eternal is looking for Free to Air as apposed to Saorview(OP check the channel list of saorview here http://www.saorview.ie/channels-services/ ).

To get RTE and FTA you'd need either Saorview and a FTA box or a paid service like UPC/Sky.

You'd need one of these(or something like it) to pick up FTA: http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Freesat_receiver_box.html and then

A saorview box if your TV doesn't have a built in Saorview(mpeg-5) tuner.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322783/Trail/searchtext%3EFREE+TO+AIR.htm

If your TV doesn't have Saorview built in but you want FTA and Saorview you can pick up one of these http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/HD_Ariva_120_Combo_Box.html

If you have a terrestrial aerial working already read these questions:
    The vast majority of homes with existing outdoor or rooftop aerials will be able to receive the SAORVIEW signal. There are a number of simple tests to help you determine if your aerial will receive the SAORVIEW signal:
    1. If you currently receive TV3 through your aerial then your aerial is most likely fine and is pointing in the right direction. You should not need to do anything.
    2. If you currently receive RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and TG4 through your aerial but do not receive TV3, then your aerial is most likely fine but for some homes it will be pointing in the wrong direction.
    3. If you receive only RTÉ One and RTÉ Two through your aerial and do not receive TV3 and TG4 then you need a new UHF aerial pointed at the best transmission site for your area. Most likely the cable from the old aerial will be fine.

It may be possible to receive SAORVIEW with an indoor portable aerial connected to a set-top-box or iDTV. However there are many factors that impact on the effectiveness of a portable aerial.SAORVIEW recommends consultation with a competent local aerial/TV installer to confirm coverage in your area and to confirm the suitability or otherwise of your aerial system.

If you answer yes to those questions then the above box's should all be plug and play very simple to set up. The third link isn't currently in stock but I'd recommend waiting for that, It'll just make your life a lot easier than having two separate boxes.

Let me know if you've any more questions, I'm not an installer or anything but have installed dishes for friends and set up systems for them too so should be able to help :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

^^^^

a tad more info than my post:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Best person to help out/install is a guy on here called Rippy. Send him a PM, he did a very complicated install for me and made it look like childsplay. Couldn't recommend him highly enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Thanks for all the info.
    Might get that combo box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

Apologises OP for hijacking thread:o,but I have a question that I'm hoping boardsies might be able to answer since they seem to know alot about the free to air, I have it,was quite happy about it,about a year ago the film4 channel just vanished-the channel is still there but no pic,no sound and about 2 weeks ago all the music channels-the vault,bliss scuzz,and another 2 or 3 did the exact same thing!!!! Is there something that can be done to get these channels back??

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Apologises OP for hijacking thread:o,but I have a question that I'm hoping boardsies might be able to answer since they seem to know alot about the free to air, I have it,was quite happy about it,about a year ago the film4 channel just vanished-the channel is still there but no pic,no sound and about 2 weeks ago all the music channels-the vault,bliss scuzz,and another 2 or 3 did the exact same thing!!!! Is there something that can be done to get these channels back??

The channels change frequency from time to time. All you need to do is a retune for the new frequency. Head over to the satellite forum and you will find the new frequencies. The guys over there know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

Tweaky wrote: »
    The channels change frequency from time to time. All you need to do is a retune for the new frequency. Head over to the satellite forum and you will find the new frequencies. The guys over there know their stuff.
    Thank you so much for the advice,I'll definately check it out.....but as soon as you mentioned frequencies all i saw was blah blah blah blah....I'm such a technophobe!!!!!.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Thank you so much for the advice,I'll definately check it out.....but as soon as you mentioned frequencies all i saw was blah blah blah blah....I'm such a technophobe!!!!!.....:(

You just need to set your box to re-tune the channels, it'll pick up the new ones and should get rid of the old broken ones too :)

Advertisement