Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**There may be spoilers within** Hypothesizing Episode 13

• 25-09-2011 1:25am

I haven't looked this forward to a season finale like this in an awful long time. I have loved this story arc and am a huge fan of Moffat.
    I'm not reading anything up on the upcoming finale, all I know is it's called, "The wedding of River Song". That has me very excited. There's been talk of two doctors, and various "Chekov's guns" in the other thread.

I think the biggest and possibly easiest to spot Chekovs gun is love.

Love has conquered all this season. Right back to where River gives up her regenerations to save the doctor, to the dad who had to prove his love to his kid, to the doctor that had to sacrifice his love, (Amy and Rory) so they don't die on his watch, to this weeks episode where a childs love can save his dad from becoming a cyberman comander. I have a big feeling that love, especially with the episode called, "The wedding of River Song" will play a big part in next weeks finale.

Another thing: If River is the girl in the suit, that means the River that Amy and Rory met has already killed The Doctor. Which strikes me odd that there would be two Rivers in the one place. Maybe that's why she's in the suit and why the first episode is called "The impossible astronaut" as (IIRC) you can't be in the same spot as your future/past self?

Comments

Rewatching Silence in the library.

"Silence in the Library" now we know River Song was raised by the silence, does it add to Moffats cleverness and forward planning, or just a co-incidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yaines

"Silence in the Library" now we know River Song was raised by the silence, does it add to Moffats cleverness and forward planning, or just a co-incidence?

If I know Moffat, there is no such thing as a co-incidence. Man, he is good!

Found this on Facebook last night, prequel to The Wedding of River Song.

"Tick Tock goes the clock.... tick tock..... goes the clock ..... tick tock..... goes the clock....Doctor....brave and good, he turned away from violence, when he... understood.. the falling of the silence..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting theory, though I would have suggested the larger theme of the series - and the one that might ultimately get resolved - has been the Doctor slowly becoming more and more self-loathing and hating what he has become, both as a person & as an image. I mean he really, really hates himself at this point. Not even Craig's cheery pep talk could pull him out of this downward spiral he's in.

I still think there's a bait & switch going on and the Doctor, perhaps bringing in the love of River Song (so yeah we get the love angle in I guess), comes to realise he must die to save himself & his friends - saving them from himself. But that he gets a younger version to kill him off so he can become anonymous all over again - so basically we'd get another series reset.

Perhaps the recently-graduated River then takes the blame for the murder, whether through love or simply unwittingly does so. That she didn't know the truth might answer the question of why the older version of herself didn't seem to be familiar with events by the Lake.

Mind you, I was watching the Next Time trailer & spotted a brief moment that was a bit frickin' weird;
    http://www.pixelburp.com/temp/vlcsnap-2011-09-25-13h31m50s60.png

Winston Churchill (it's the same actor), sitting in Roman setting, being served by a Silurian? That's a bit odd. Add in a shot of a pterodactyl & to me this is screaming out that Time & Space has gone a bit squiffy, and if this is going to play into the resolution in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

It certainly is going to be a busy episode! We have Area 52 (which is a pyramid no less!), a dinosaur, a Silurian, the Silence, Churchill, River killing the Doctor (maybe?) and marrying him (?), the eyepatches need to be explained (River gets one and so does some huge ugly Norse-god type) and probably more!

Also, in that "Roman" shot with Churchill, there's a bookshelf in the background. I don't believe the Romans had bound books. Perhaps an alternate history occurs where Churchill is the holy roman emperor or some crazy thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

r&#237 wrote: »
    the eyepatches need to be explained (River gets one and so does some huge ugly Norse-god type) and probably more!

I'm guessing the eyepatches project an image of the Silence so that the wearer can't forget them.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    I'm guessing the eyepatches project an image of the Silence so that the wearer can't forget them.
    That's a really clever idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Stark wrote: »
    That was my guess as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Also, in that "Roman" shot with Churchill, there's a bookshelf in the background. I don't believe the Romans had bound books. Perhaps an alternate history occurs where Churchill is the holy roman emperor or some crazy thing?

I might be wrong about it but the room reminds me of the cabinet room we've seen for Doctor Who PMs before (I could swear it's the same layout and table).

I'm filing the Roman stuff under Timey Wimey weirdness myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It certainly is going to be a busy episode! We have Area 52 (which is a pyramid no less!), a dinosaur, a Silurian, the Silence, Churchill, River killing the Doctor (maybe?) and marrying him (?), the eyepatches need to be explained (River gets one and so does some huge ugly Norse-god type) and probably more!

It's a parallel universe folks. Have none of you seen the classic story 'Inferno'?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

flazio wrote: »
    It's a parallel universe folks. Have none of you seen the classic story 'Inferno'?:D
    -Inferno Clip-

Brigadier- I'm evil.
    Doctor- Why?
    Brigadier- 'Cos I has eyepatch?.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

yaines wrote: »
    "Tick Tock goes the clock.... tick tock..... goes the clock ..... tick tock..... goes the clock....Doctor....brave and good, he turned away from violence, when he... understood.. the falling of the silence..."

This lyric... "the falling of the silence"... thought it might be open to interpretation. As far back as 5x01 we heard that "Silence will fall", which comes across as though "Silence will reign". But this time, what if the "falling of the silence" means the opposite, as in "the fall of the Roman Empire", in other words their defeat.

Roll on the finale, this is the most anticipation I've had for a Doctor Who episode since Tennant's farewell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems the press have already got their hands on copies of the episode. Initial (spoiler free) reactions are thumbs up & that it does conclude the larger arcs suggested, hinted & detailed through series 5/6. So I guess we'll wait and see.

Horrible thought...

Doctor gets killed during the time of Miracle Day. And by shooting him in the middle of his regeneration, River guarantees his survival. If she let him regenerate, he would have in fact died.

...It's not gonna happen. Just a horrible thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

There is still the whole issue of why no one remembers the Dalek taking invading and moving the Earth.

Amy, Rory etc don't remember this.

This could be a reset of the whole universe

pixelburp wrote: »
    Seems the press have already got their hands on copies of the episode. Initial (spoiler free) reactions are thumbs up & that it does conclude the larger arcs suggested, hinted & detailed through series 5/6. So I guess we'll wait and see.

Any spoiler-free reviews knocking about?

amen wrote: »
    There is still the whole issue of why no one remembers the Dalek taking invading and moving the Earth.

Amy, Rory etc don't remember this.

This could be a reset of the whole universe
    Uh did you see last season's finale?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Any spoiler-free reviews knocking about?

Hmmm, the only one that comes to mind is courtesy of io9.com:
    http://io9.com/5843704/this-saturday-doctor-whos-soap-opera-era-hits-some-of-its-highest-notes

pixelburp wrote: »
    Winston Churchill (it's the same actor), sitting in Roman setting, being served by a Silurian? That's a bit odd. Add in a shot of a pterodactyl & to me this is screaming out that Time & Space has gone a bit squiffy, and if this is going to play into the resolution in some form.

The Silurian isn't serving him, he is checking his blood pressure. Also it's the same Silurian scientist who had Amy in his lab.

Anyone noticed the disparity in the promo photos? The Doctor's hair lengthens and shortens. It could lend credence to the two Doctors theory: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2011/09/wedding-of-river-song-promo-pics.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yep, there are 2 Very distinct Hairstyles for te doctor there in the Promos.

I like the Eypatch Ideathat someone mentioned here, thatit projects an image of the silence so you cant forget them, that makes he most sense

• Advertisement

There's also a bearded apostle Doctor there too. According to the previews, all this sorts itself with the first five minutes. I apprehensive about the fact it's only got 45 minutes. By far, the shortest finale since the arrival of Nu-Who. Will it be enough?

Yep, there are 2 Very distinct Hairstyles for te doctor there in the Promos.

I like the Eypatch Ideathat someone mentioned here, thatit projects an image of the silence so you cant forget them, that makes he most sense
    Can't find the pic now but one of the promo photos show Amy, Rory and River all wearing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I have a feeling we are going to see River get the Red Setting screwdriver somewhere in this episode. This month's Doctor Who Magazine features a slot about River's Timeline from River's POV, and in it it mentions somthing is going to happen in Episode 13 that slots between Time Of Angels 2 parter and the library 2 parter, with the simple word 'Spoilers' well what else could it be, plus River mentions that the Doctor had 'a new haircut and suit,' now back then I thoughtshe meant 'Newly Regenerated Doctor' but what if she meant the losing of the mullet we see him sporting in the promo pics and the Elisabeth Sladen tribute a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

flazio wrote: »
    River mentions that the Doctor had 'a new haircut and suit,' now back then I thoughtshe meant 'Newly Regenerated Doctor' but what if she meant the losing of the mullet we see him sporting in the promo pics and the Elisabeth Sladen tribute a few months back.

By suit could she mean, coat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Uh did you see last season's finale?

Before that - Amy did not know about daleks. People wondered about that in Matt's first season. I believe the Doctor asked Amy about it.

Yahew wrote: »
    Before that - Amy did not know about daleks. People wondered about that in Matt's first season. I believe the Doctor asked Amy about it.
    Also: Craig didn't recognise the Cybermen. Don't forget the end of Season 2 where a Cyberman appeared in everyone's street having posed as "ghosts". Perhaps it was just an error in scripting, but I guess that really does show that world events in series 1-5 were reset

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

The Master wrote: »

Can't feckin wait! Hurry up 7 o' clock!

Yahew wrote: »
    Yeah. Because they were swallowed by the cracks which made people forget them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement