Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing salon in cork- last chance saloon

Options
  • 25-09-2011 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all! :(

I don't call in here very often but when I do it's normally for advice or help and so far ye guys have never left me down! :) This will (hopefully) be my final help thread here.

I've been advised by my doctor to remove my nipple piercing. I got it done almost a year ago now. (That story is in another older thread) I am very very sad about this :( despite trying everything- sea salt, sprays, iodine, essential oils, creams, antibiotics.... nothing ever worked. It never healed and was pretty much constantly infected. I visited 3 different piercers over the course of the past year to no avail. Finally I decided to go to my doctor who gave me antibiotics and a cream and told me to remove it as I was at risk of mastitis.

Now here's the thing.......i really really don't want to! It's my favourite piercing and I think i'd be too afraid to ever go through it again. After all the trouble I've had with piercings I've decided that that will be my last one. It's not worth it anymore, my body clearly hates them! All the same i'd like to keep it.

So I've been given my doctors orders...but....i think he'd advise against any piercings!!! I'd like to get one final opinion from a really good piercer before i remove it though to see if there isn't any better option. I had it looked at when I was in cork last but some guy in some shop but can't remember which one. I was directed there from moonshine so it must have been near paul street. The place was disgusting and the piercer was eating his lunch off the piercing table. He looked at it from a distance and then told me it would be grand in time.

So where is the most reputable piercing shop in town?? Any to avoid (except obviously the raven!)? I'd just like to give the piercing one final shot! Going back to where it was done isn't an option unfortunately. Any advice appreciated! :) Thanks a million guys! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't know the places down there myself, and I know you hate the place, but any chance you're going to be in Dublin any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I was told many many years ago by the legendary tattooist and piercer Sebastian Ink that in his experience nipple piercings heal best when a straight, stainless steel bar is used. Once he began to use them rather then a ring his clients had no more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I find Tattoo Zoo to be fantastic. It's up on North Main Street, across from Captain Americas. Only ever had good experiences in there. The piercer, Noel, is a legend and really seems to know his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I don't know the places down there myself, and I know you hate the place, but any chance you're going to be in Dublin any time soon?

Nope. Not until maybe the end of october! It's not really an option now- i'm in college 5 days a week and I work all weekend!
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I was told many many years ago by the legendary tattooist and piercer Sebastian Ink that in his experience nipple piercings heal best when a straight, stainless steel bar is used. Once he began to use them rather then a ring his clients had no more problems.

I have a straight plastic bar. I was considerin changing to a ring to see would it make any difference healing wise but I am too afraid i'll catch it on something! i think it's more a problem with me!!!
    Kersmash wrote: »
    I find Tattoo Zoo to be fantastic. It's up on North Main Street, across from Captain Americas. Only ever had good experiences in there. The piercer, Noel, is a legend and really seems to know his stuff.
    Perfect, sounds great, thanks! :) Do you generally need an appointment to get in there?? And is he the only piercer there?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nope. Not until maybe the end of october! It's not really an option now- i'm in college 5 days a week and I work all weekend!

I have a straight plastic bar. I was considerin changing to a ring to see would it make any difference healing wise but I am too afraid i'll catch it on something! i think it's more a problem with me!!!

What kind of plastic? PTFE or acrylic? If you want to try to keep it, I'd suggest maybe switching to a simple titanium bar, but don't try this yourself, get the piercer you visit to do it for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Perfect, sounds great, thanks! :) Do you generally need an appointment to get in there?? And is he the only piercer there?

Nah just stroll in! I don't think he's there on tuesdays though. I think he's the only piercer there, i've only ever seen him but i've heard of a girl working there sometimes too, but i'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I think rings are worse cause they move so much. My first time was done with a ring, second time with a bar. I didn't have any trouble with the ring but it did crust up a bit more. I'd say stick with the bar but maybe go for a metal one. Have you always had the plastic one? You could just be allergic like. And go get the bar at the piercers, they will measure the right length for you.

And I do feel doctors are going to be against piercings always!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

What kind of plastic? PTFE or acrylic? If you want to try to keep it, I'd suggest maybe switching to a simple titanium bar, but don't try this yourself, get the piercer you visit to do it for you!

Yeah thats the plan!! :) PTFE as far as i know. Yeah that was the plan. Get him to get the right length and the right bar!
    Kersmash wrote: »
    Nah just stroll in! I don't think he's there on tuesdays though. I think he's the only piercer there, i've only ever seen him but i've heard of a girl working there sometimes too, but i'm not sure.

Yup there's no piercer there on a Tuesday!
    I think rings are worse cause they move so much. My first time was done with a ring, second time with a bar. I didn't have any trouble with the ring but it did crust up a bit more. I'd say stick with the bar but maybe go for a metal one. Have you always had the plastic one? You could just be allergic like. And go get the bar at the piercers, they will measure the right length for you.

And I do feel doctors are going to be against piercings always!

Meh my bar is the wrong length so i already feel like it moves loads. yes i was pierced with the plastic one because i've had trouble with metal bars before. i think it's pierced in the wrong place and that that's the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Well when I got pierced with the bar I was given a pretty long bar so allow for swelling and to let it move a bit so it will heal ok. My piercer said to come back in a couple of months and he will switch it out for a shorter bar. I think its supposed to move a bit at first.

He did take a lot of care to find the right place to pierce first though, and make sure it was at a straight angle and all.

Try the titanium one anyway, don't think it can really make matters worse! Really should be fully healed after a year though.

Advertisement