Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

moving to waterford

• 25-09-2011 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

hi ive lived in waterford before over the summer, and i really miss living there as i have good friends and things there. i often think about leavin my college course i have just started to move over there, but i am worried about not having enough things to do to fill my time. i dont know if this is the right thread for this but i want to ask if there are many jobs available out there, to do even voluntary work. i would like to do full time voluntary work mostly to do with youth and sports because that is what i have been studying i wanted to do a college course there this year but didnt get it on the cao so i want to do other things down there any suggestions please and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Paid jobs in Waterford are extremely hard to come by so don't put much hope into that!

Waterford and the region has about the highest rate of unemployment in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And we have to walk 15km for a fresh water source and rations.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

ya very funny... i know i heard they have very little jobs because of that factory closing down but there most be something to keep people busy is there? besides college courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

ya very funny... i know i heard they have very little jobs because of that factory closing down but there most be something to keep people busy is there? besides college courses
    We send most our spare time begrudging everyone else

ive lived in waterford b4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Your best bet would be to avoid Waterford completely as it's turning into a complete and utter **** hole!! You'd have a better chance of getting something in Dublin, be it volunteering or paid work...............even better still just go to Dublin airport and get the **** out this country all together as alot of people are doing!

Sorry to be so blunt about it but might aswell say it as it is.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ive lived in waterford b4

Jeesus, if you like the place, have good friends, etc. here, and have no ties elsewhere, then just go ahead and move here! Things are very bad with the economy of course, but you've mentioned voluntary work? Are you financially independent? (or on the scratch :D). You don't seem to be too bothered about the economic situation from what your posts say.

Waterford needs its public representatives and the government to step up now and do something for the place, but so do the rest of us. If the OP wants to come here and spend his trust fund/inheritance/dole money locally, thereby keeping some landlord out of NAMA, or some small shop from closing, then we should be welcoming him/her with open arms! Maybe we need to rely on homegrown industry than the likes of WalkWalk!

We've just had the Tall Ships, a wonderful Spraoi and Harvest Festival. We've seen 50 Cent, Bryan Ferry, the Sawdoctors, the Stunning, Faithless and the Waterboys playing in the city this summer. We've even got Jedward coming up... and still we get people warning people off the place as if there was a famine here, with people unable to bury their dead and Al-Shabaab roaming the streets. For God's sake, can we get a sense of perspective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

What type of job would you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Your best bet would be to avoid Waterford completely as it's turning into a complete and utter **** hole!! You'd have a better chance of getting something in Dublin, be it volunteering or paid work...............even better still just go to Dublin airport and get the **** out this country all together as alot of people are doing!

Sorry to be so blunt about it but might aswell say it as it is.:(

Could you please do an exchange with this guy?

merlante wrote: »
    Could you please do an exchange with this guy?

Go on then tell me what's here in Waterford for someone wanting to move here?? And more importantly why should they move here and not somewhere else?

Your entitled to your opinion like I'm entitled to mine and that's what im giving.

• Advertisement

dark_Shadow u dont have to be so negative waterford is not a bad place at all.. i am from limerick city so trust me i appreciate waterford alot. and yes tall ships 50 cent and many things are great in waterford from tralee and other swimming [places to the band in the city cenre... why the **** would you figure i shouldnt move there.. and thanks for the advice fricatus i am looking for voluntary work in sports social care etc. like working in the ballybeg youth center are something like that.. im on the dole i just want to fill my time.. and yes i have many great friends in waterford aswell cx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Best of luck in the move limerick dude.
    One of me friends just moved down here from limerick aswell.

dark_Shadow u dont have to be so negative waterford is not a bad place at all.. i am from limerick city so trust me i appreciate waterford alot. and yes tall ships 50 cent and many things are great in waterford from tralee and other swimming [places to the band in the city cenre... why the **** would you figure i shouldnt move there.. and thanks for the advice fricatus i am looking for voluntary work in sports social care etc. like working in the ballybeg youth center are something like that.. im on the dole i just want to fill my time.. and yes i have many great friends in waterford aswell cx

I'm not having a go a you personally LimerickSports!! I'm speaking from experience in that I have many friends in Waterford that have lost/ are losing their jobs in Waterford. They have stayed here for months in the hope that something will turn up but with no joy so they have ended up leaving Waterford and going to Dublin or further afield for work. You wanted to know was there many jobs here and I'm just telling you what I know.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do!

okay thanks ive noticed it is hard to get a job because my friend there has been tryin to get a job and she had interview in mcdonalds and they wouldnt even hire her, i guess there is a massive recision there especially with talktalk closing down. but i am willing to do alot of voluntary work if it is full time to keep me busy, because voluntary work is just as good as a qualification in the sports and social studies industtry

Go on then tell me what's here in Waterford for someone wanting to move here?? And more importantly why should they move here and not somewhere else?

Your entitled to your opinion like I'm entitled to mine and that's what im giving.

Compact small city with a bit of medieval and georgian charm. More or less everything you need. Always something going on, particularly in the summer. Some good pubs. Great surrounding amenities: mountains, walks, beaches, etc. Right beside the sea. A good solid employment rate of 80% or so, for those who think there are no jobs at all. (And with a good half of the unemployed not even looking for jobs, it's not so bad really!) Cost of living very reasonable indeed. Great place to be unemployed for a while. Good public transport and civic areas like the park. I could go on... (Enthusiastic, optimistic and proud people...? Hmm... maybe not so much... ;) )

I'm only giving my opinion too. Never known a population of people to have such a dire outlook as Waterford people do (although maybe some depopulated East German towns ravaged -- literally -- by the Russians after WW2 might be comparable). Thankfully, though, Waterford people are a lot happier than they like to make out, and know how to enjoy themselves!

Jaysis man, its his choice. He shouldnt have to justify to complete strangers why he wants to move here.

Compact small city with a bit of medieval and georgian charm. More or less everything you need. Always something going on, particularly in the summer. Some good pubs. Great surrounding amenities: mountains, walks, beaches, etc. Right beside the sea. A good solid employment rate of 80% or so, for those who think there are no jobs at all. (And with a good half of the unemployed not even looking for jobs, it's not so bad really!) Cost of living very reasonable indeed. Great place to be unemployed for a while. Good public transport and civic areas like the park. I could go on... (Enthusiastic, optimistic and proud people...? Hmm... maybe not so much... ;) )

I'm only giving my opinion too. Never known a population of people to have such a dire outlook as Waterford people do (although maybe some depopulated East German towns ravaged -- literally -- by the Russians after WW2 might be comparable). Thankfully, though, Waterford people are a lot happier than they like to make out, and know how to enjoy themselves!

The way I was looking at it, and not just from LimerickSports point of view was that anyone leaving their current life to come Waterford should seriously think twice about it. There's no new companies opening up unlike cork or Dublin where you might have 20 jobs every now and then opening up. With the loss of Waterford crystal, aventis etc and now talk talk closing there's very little opportunity for jobs here and there's nothing coming in to replace them.

I understand what your saying about all the attractions that are here and there all good, but if you have no money to enjoy them you'll get bored and depressed fairly easily! We all know how badly the south east has been hit and I'm just saying that anyone willing to come for work will have a challenge on their hands.

The way I was looking at it, and not just from LimerickSports point of view was that anyone leaving their current life to come Waterford should seriously think twice about it. There's no new companies opening up unlike cork or Dublin where you might have 20 jobs every now and then opening up. With the loss of Waterford crystal, aventis etc and now talk talk closing there's very little opportunity for jobs here and there's nothing coming in to replace them.

I understand what your saying about all the attractions that are here and there all good, but if you have no money to enjoy them you'll get bored and depressed fairly easily! We all know how badly the south east has been hit and I'm just saying that anyone willing to come for work will have a challenge on their hands.

Well I mean most people wait until they have work to move to a place anyway. The OP says social work and voluntary work is fine. There's bound to be plenty of that. There are jobs going in Waterford, such as in the IT sector, so it's not true to say there are no jobs at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Limerick Sports,
    I wouldnt pay too much heed to dark shadow, his negativity is over-inflated. yes Waterford has high unemployment but there are some jobs available. Waterford has a lot to offer, good bit of entertainment around such as bands, theatre, regular comedy nights, good selection of pubs and restaurants. Waterford is near loads of beaches, mountains and stuff like that if you are into it.

dark shadow and the likes who slag-off Waterford with comments like 'f-all here, no pubs etc' are either typing to get a reaction or in my experience are usually persons who go to the same pub or 2 every week, try little else in the way of expanding their social outings and just complain even though they try nothing new and different on a regular basis. A lot of these people have also not lived in other parts of Ireland so dont know what it is like in other cities. In short, bar stool talk and you would wonder why they are still here if they hate it so much. I have lived in America and Dublin, I dont regret settling in Waterford for a minute.

thanks max powers for the reply? were u born in waterford? ya i know its true what your saying about waterford its a beutifull place i only lived there for 4 months before in the summer and i was suprised how good a city it was in comparisson to limerick, because of the beaches close by, the nitelife, the fesitivals and the people are so friendly aswell, there is often bands playin in the city centre.. that is why i really miss it.. i am goin down there next week to look for some work even voluntary work will do me to keep me busy. i love waterford alot.. i have a feelin ill end up settlin down there someday but who knows/.. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

Born and raised in waterford but have worked in limerick, cork, london (although very briefly), kilkenny and am currently living in dublin, but i know for a fact i wouldnt settle anywhere else than Waterford. Beautiful friendly city, and sure, it's going through a rough patch but just give it some time to pick itself up.
    The only people who complain about Waterford are people who are living monotonous lives and that is in no way the city's fault. When things pick up in Waterford again, when people have more money, the vibrance will return (not that its really gone, its just taking a breather :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

few cans? wrote: »
    Born and raised in waterford but have worked in limerick, cork, london (although very briefly), kilkenny and am currently living in dublin, but i know for a fact i wouldnt settle anywhere else than Waterford. Beautiful friendly city, and sure, it's going through a rough patch but just give it some time to pick itself up.
    The only people who complain about Waterford are people who are living monotonous lives and that is in no way the city's fault. When things pick up in Waterford again, when people have more money, the vibrance will return (not that its really gone, its just taking a breather :) )

Too right. I'll complain with the best of them, but Waterford - all things considered - has to be one of the best places to live. All amenities practically at your doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Except CD shops!

Nolanger wrote: »
    Except CD shops!

No CD purchasers either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

And don't forget we also have Master and commander!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I have to say I disagree with your analysis of a "good, solid employment rate". Waterford is haemmorrhaging jobs like there's no tomorrow, have you not seen the job losses in Waterford crystal, Teva, Talk Talk, other factories? There is absolutely no indication of anyone investing in Waterford at any point in the future to replace these jobs. I'm sure someone can research figures but as far as I know, we have a higher rate of unemployment per capita then the vast majority of cities and big towns throughout the country.

I had to leave Waterford because I couldn't find a job, like a lot of people I know.

Public transport is not good, that is a fact. Allow me to take a stab in the dark but are you from the Dunmore road and you think public transport is good because you have the regular Bus Eireann bus and the private one by Kenneally's? The Hillview - city centre service is not great. We also have an "international airport" that has literally no public transport to it.

Not being negative, just realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I also wouldn't recommend the OP relocate to Waterford, stay where u are, better the devil you know!

Its not fair people saying that oh there's plenty of jobs on offer in Waterford when there isn't and that unemployed people aren't bothering, I'm constantly looking for jobs but no luck! It's not nice to tar everyone with the same brush!!

If your on the dole ,social welfare can make it a bit difficult to volunteer cos you have to prove that voluntary work won't get in the way of your job seeking but you should be ok to do part time volunteering:)

Waterford wasn't always bad but theres no companies opening up cos theyre all going to dublin galway cork, and the employers here are looking to cut back on staff not hire more!

Dont mind all them naysayers OP. Come down and us friendly people will meet ya for a drink and welcome you to our little corner of Ireland. We'll even leave you pay for the drinks and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

hi ive lived in waterford before over the summer, and i really miss living there as i have good friends and things there. i often think about leavin my college course i have just started to move over there, but i am worried about not having enough things to do to fill my time. i dont know if this is the right thread for this but i want to ask if there are many jobs available out there, to do even voluntary work. i would like to do full time voluntary work mostly to do with youth and sports because that is what i have been studying i wanted to do a college course there this year but didnt get it on the cao so i want to do other things down there any suggestions please and thanks
    forioga

• Advertisement

yes i guess there is not many jobs there but i still love the city if only i could go to college there or something

Advertisement