Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC to scrap the use of AD and BC,polical correctness gone mad.

Options
  • 25-09-2011 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

The terms AD and BC have been used to describe the timelines in Christianity for about 1500 years but have now been deemed offensive to non Christians.

How much more of this craziness do people in The Western world have to put up with as those who feel they know best foist these rulings upon us,even other faiths see this as stupid.You wouldn't see a Muslim country changing things like this and anyhow it's not even offensive.

Like it or not the Islands of The UK and Ireland are predominantly Christian but the UK seems to go out of it's way to pander to religious political correctness instead of letting folk practice their own faith,so long as it's not extremist rhetoric just let people on with it.At least we haven't really seen such things over here yet but as is usually the case,if Britain sneezes we catch a cold so to speak.
    It seems to be a type of religious health & safety gone mad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041265/BBC-turns-year-Our-Lord-2-000-years-Christianity-jettisoned-politically-correct-Common-Era.html

(Waits for the "Not another Daily Mail article" comments)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Presumably they are switching to star date?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

BCE/CE have been used for ages in Academic and Scientific circles. This is just the rest of the world catching up.

That, and who the hell actually cares...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Those crazy Christians, holding us back again! Why i oughta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

If they're determined not to offend perhaps they could also scrap the use of "Irish Republic" when referring to the Republic of Ireland....the use of the "British Isles" to include Ireland....

And why, ten years after the € was created, has the BBC not found computers with the € sign - why do all articles spell out 'euro' rather than use €?

the little things...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Mena wrote: »
    BCE/CE have been used for ages in Academic and Scientific circles. This is just the rest of the world catching up.

Different does not necessarily mean better (or worse). Why are BCE/CE better than BC/AD so that we need to "catch up"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

did the British gov not create a specific team to stop all this PC nonsense and remove all silly rules relating to it recently enough???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Who gives a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

zerks wrote: »
    The terms AD and BC have been used to describe the timelines in Christianity for about 1500 years but have now been deemed offensive to non Christians.

How much more of this craziness do people in The Western world have to put up with as those who feel they know best foist these rulings upon us,even other faiths see this as stupid.You wouldn't see a Muslim country changing things like this and anyhow it's not even offensive.

Like it or not the Islands of The UK and Ireland are predominantly Christian but the UK seems to go out of it's way to pander to religious political correctness instead of letting folk practice their own faith,so long as it's not extremist rhetoric just let people on with it.At least we haven't really seen such things over here yet but as is usually the case,if Britain sneezes we catch a cold so to speak.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041265/BBC-turns-year-Our-Lord-2-000-years-Christianity-jettisoned-politically-correct-Common-Era.html

Jaysis. If I'm not thanked a million times for pointing out that little gem then **** all of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Actually, I think you'll find most people don't give a shít, except Christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If it offends Anne Widdecombe it can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

In protest I now refuse to use Greenwich Mean Time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Actually, I think you'll find most people don't give a shít, except Christians.

The problem is though,where will a line be drawn.I'm not particularly religious but I find all this a real annoyance when we are being told what we can and can't say-even the most mundane sayings and terms of speech are being regulated by those who seem to have too much time on their hands and that's my problem with the whole thing,not the religious aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Don't mind the BCE and CE but I am not using 1950 as a timeline for anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I find the use of the phrase "Political correctness gone mad" to be very telling, it's pretty certain that anything which follows will be a mouth-foaming rant which blows the issue out of all proportion.

The problem is though,where will a line be drawn.I'm not particularly religious but I find all this a real annoyance when we are being told what we can and can't say-even the most mundane sayings and terms of speech are being regulated by those who seem to have too much time on their hands and that's my problem with the whole thing,not the religious aspect.
    Who's telling you what you can and can't say?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

And they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm offended by that picture of Ann Widdecombe... *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

There is a long history of calendars and time measurement and it is full of religious symbols.
    There are 60 seconds, minutes and 24 hours, 12 months because the Babylonians had a numbers system based on 3 who first devised this system.

They also first came up with 7 days in the week, no-one is sure why. Probably religious. But then the rest of our calendar is religious, the days of the week and the months of the year are named after Norse, Greek, Roman gods and Roman Emperors.

During the Napoleon era the French tried to change the calendar to a metric one but that project was abandoned, because no-one bothered to use it.

So now if they want to strip it of BC or AD, why not get rid of the rest of religion in our calendar.

This is a stupid exercise. It is just misguided political correctness. As I tot this out on the Sunsday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Who's telling you what you can and can't say?

Mods.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

They'll be after AC/DC next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I think political correctness should be banned on the grounds that it insults my culture (ie no respect for any of the lazy bastards any more).

I am not against political correctness. The early days of the project it was a good cultural thing. It rid some of our everyday language of denigrating and insulting words and concepts of racism and sexism.

Like words like N#gg#r, and other insulting racist term which were bandied about in everyday speech. The same could be said of the way our language would routinely put down women.

If anyone followed the brilliant "Life on Mars" series you would see what it was like. It was shocking to look back, at it, at that time.

But now were does it stop. I would regard myself as an atheist but BC/DC and other historical references, referring to religions should be left as they are.

4leto wrote: »
    I would regard myself as an atheist but BC/DC and other historical references, referring to religions should be left as they are.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Why?

Probably because things like the days of the week will have to be changed as well:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Its almost trivial, but still an encouraging indicator of development, increasing education, and sophistication in a society as it matures out of the superstitions of a more ignorant age.
    It will come in Ireland too, but we are probably still a generation or so away from it. Unfortuntely.

Why?

First I don't think it does any harm second where do you start. To clean the calendar of religion.

All the names of the Days and the months would have to go. Although August an July are named after Roman emperors, Roman Emperors who deemed themselves Gods.

So why not leave them alone, what's the harm. There are other terms we use everyday that have religious origins. The Planets, the stars, certain foods, its endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

We still have the Angelus on our national channel so I wouldn't worry about it coming here for a long time.

4leto wrote: »
    First I don't think it does any harm second where do you start. To clean the calendar of religion.

All the names of the Days and the months would have to go. Although August an July are named after Roman emperors, Roman Emperors who deemed themselves Gods.

So why not leave them alone, what's the harm. There are other terms we use everyday that have religious origins. The Planets, the stars, certain foods, its endless.

Well, none of those other things are being changed, so that's irrelevant.

If BC/AD doesn't do any harm, and BCE/CE doesn't do any harm, then what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Well said, and, regardless of the anti-God brigade, who was it that said 'bidden or not - God is present'? They can try and erase Him all they like. It is futile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just more bad reporting by the mail

from the link (Hastings is the author of the article in the mail):
    So Hastings has the BBC quote denying the terms have been dropped. He has a prominent BBC presenter saying he's going to keep using the BC and AD. And he has his own evidence saying BBC journalists are 'switching between both terms'.

Yet Hastings still writes the article in this way, and the Mail on Sunday still splashes it all over the front page.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement